Saddle Bag Liners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using the same bag liners that I got with my 04 when I bought it new. They are holding up well with no problems. Pretty good stuff.

GP

My bike didn't come with the liners so I'm wondering if they are worth having. I had them for my 05 several years back and they just gathered dust. I was thinking the Bestum were more useful since I like to have a couple of storage areas and they have the top zippered section, whereas the factory items are just one big section, no?

I have two sets of OEM bags, one from my Gen I and the other from a Gen II. They differ a bit in logo and text stitching as well as plastic details on the zipper pulls. Both sets of bags are functionally the same for storage. My bags have a double zippered top and the top flap has a zippered mesh net storage pocket. There is a zippered side pocket and the main bag is one large open storage area.

My wife and I use the bags every time we go out. I have used the right bag every day that I ride to work, it holds my brief case, screw top coffee mug, lunch, DSLR camera and sometimes a laptop. After 6 years of use the outside still looks good, but if I look in the bag I can see light coming through the inside liner in places. The fabric is beginning to show a bit of fraying next to one of the top zippers. They have had whole lot of use and have held up very well.

My wife has the Gen I bag loaded with her camera gear and the Gen II bag stuffed with rain and cold weather gear. One bag goes in the trunk and the other in the side case. Note that this leaves me just one side case <_<

This is from the Yamaha USA web site, so for sure this is what the OEM bags look like:

ymd200106010-500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two sets of OEM bags, one from my Gen I and the other from a Gen II. They differ a bit in logo and text stitching as well as plastic details on the zipper pulls. Both sets of bags are functionally the same for storage. My bags have a double zippered top and the top flap has a zippered mesh net storage pocket. There is a zippered side pocket and the main bag is one large open storage area.

My wife and I use the bags every time we go out. I have used the right bag every day that I ride to work, it holds my brief case, screw top coffee mug, lunch, DSLR camera and sometimes a laptop. After 6 years of use the outside still looks good, but if I look in the bag I can see light coming through the inside liner in places. The fabric is beginning to show a bit of fraying next to one of the top zippers. They have had whole lot of use and have held up very well.

My wife has the Gen I bag loaded with her camera gear and the Gen II bag stuffed with rain and cold weather gear. One bag goes in the trunk and the other in the side case. Note that this leaves me just one side case <_<

This is from the Yamaha USA web site, so for sure this is what the OEM bags look like:

ymd200106010-500.jpg
Cool, that's what I wanted to hear, thanks.

I'll just add that, after I (meaning my wife) managed to blowout the seam on the top of one of my two bag liners, I took a needle and (heavy) thread to it and stitched the bajeebers out of it. After that fortification, I (meaning my wife) have been unable to over-stuff that bag enough to cause the seam to fail again. However, I (meaning my wife) was able to over-stuff the other bag liner and get the exact same seam to fail on that one, which has now received the same "needle and thread" fortification.

These repairs were made about 2 years ago and I've not needed to repeat them.

As to utility, the liners are a god send when you are actually touring. Leave the hard bags on the bike and just carry the soft liners up to your room. We do not use a liner in our trunk. The items we put in the rear trunk usually do not all need to go to the room at night and usually stay with the bike at night (like rain gear, bike cover, etc)

On day trips, We tend not to use liners at all. I just throw stuff in the side bags loose, but that is usually just extra gloves, jacket liners, camera in a protective bag, etc. I think that spares the liners the every day wear that makes them last a bit more. But, hey... they are cheap enough. Or just use a small backpack (day pack) for your daily use liner (for you commuter types) and when you get where you're going you'll be good to go.