Saddle bag reflecters replaced with running lites?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ER RN

Reaction score
Has anyone done this or thought about it? I'm just now looking at possible lite fixtures and wanted to get some input. Thanx in advance ~Harvey

Has anyone done this or thought about it? I'm just now looking at possible lite fixtures and wanted to get some input. Thanx in advance ~Harvey
Cool idea! You can get LED running light fixtures at a truck parts place (like the Kenworth or Peterbilt store) that are extremely solid, compact and inexpensive.

Cool idea! You can get LED running light fixtures at a truck parts place (like the Kenworth or Peterbilt store) that are extremely solid, compact and inexpensive.
I'll have to revisit that. The ones I saw were a bit large for what I wanted. Thanx for the idea. ~H

I wired two strips of cheap LEDs from fleabay into my Givi case. A little hot glue and some dremeling and a wire :)

i-KpKK3pL.jpg

If they don't see the big ass FJR at night with the reflectors on it, they aint gonna see you any better with more lights. When 16 yr olds are texting and driving it don't make any difference.

Plus I think it will look cluttered and then you have to deal with wires when removing them.

Edit: I was assuming you meant to put lights on the back of the bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would imagine some of the reflective stickers made for the side bags would do the trick.

I remove my bags too often to be practical but have lotsa reflective stickees

funny though, I've never removed the trunk

hyperlites on the rear are the bomb

4163804861_5c9bd5db73_o.jpg

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

I'll have to revisit that. The ones I saw were a bit large for what I wanted. Thanx for the idea. ~H
I bought a pair of these a couple of years ago for a few bucks each. They might actually be too small for the location you're talking about, but they're all but indestructible.

i-rxDNzvb-XL.jpg

Ya know, it over 9 years on FJR forums I've never seen this idea...........

And I LIKE it!

Hoping to see some photos of the mod someday soon.

The plan is to replace the reflectors on the side of the saddlebags with running lites. I've got reflective decals from PCA on the back of the bags which work well enough for what they are. I'm hoping to come up with something a bit more proactive. I'll post later once I get all my ducks in a row. It may be a couple weeks or so tho......broke my back last week and I'm not moving as quick as I once did. ;)

Thanx to all that posted,

Harvey

I bought a pair of these a couple of years ago for a few bucks each. They might actually be too small for the location you're talking about, but they're all but indestructible.

i-rxDNzvb-XL.jpg

I put those exact same LEDs on my old cruiser, pulled off the reflectors on the side and wired them in. Then someone pointed out that they don't work when the bike is off like traditional reflectors do. This may be important when the bike is sitting in a vulnerable location at night such as a parking lot or along the side of a road.

i-rxDNzvb-XL.jpg

I put those exact same LEDs on my old cruiser, pulled off the reflectors on the side and wired them in. Then someone pointed out that they don't work when the bike is off like traditional reflectors do. This may be important when the bike is sitting in a vulnerable location at night such as a parking lot or along the side of a road.
Good point!

There goes yet another log on the fire :p Maybe I can reuse or adapt the license bracket reflectors.......Do you recall the manufacturer and part number(s) you used?

Considered it early on (lit side bag reflectors). Problem with them on the FJR is that bags are removable. That means anything done needs to have some kind of quick disconnect that won't be as quick as simply pulling the bag off. So pull the bag, leave slack so you can then reach with your other 2 hands to disconnect the power, then head in. Or a long lead so you can set the bag down then decouple it. Or mount high to reach while the bags are on (but not mounted high so you don't kick them with your foot when getting on/off the bike). Or mounted low so you have to crawl under to disconnect them.

A conundrum for sure. It ended up not worth it for to puzzle over any more. Let me know what you find out.

Good point!

There goes yet another log on the fire :p Maybe I can reuse or adapt the license bracket reflectors.......Do you recall the manufacturer and part number(s) you used?

I'm pretty sure I got them at Meijer or Walmart. I'll look tomorrow. I will agree that they're nearly indestructable and water proof.