Saddle Sore 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking of doing a SS2k, and this gives me a good idea. From Dallas, to Darwin, MN back to Cawker City, KS and the home would be enough miles. Plus, it is somewhat interesting....
Cawker City is on my lifetime list of "to do"s. Some people want to jump out of airplanes, see Niagara Falls, visit the Grand Canyon. I want to look at a ball of twine in BFE.

I've been thinking of doing a SS2k, and this gives me a good idea. From Dallas, to Darwin, MN back to Cawker City, KS and the home would be enough miles. Plus, it is somewhat interesting....
Cawker City is on my lifetime list of "to do"s. Some people want to jump out of airplanes, see Niagara Falls, visit the Grand Canyon. I want to look at a ball of twine in BFE.

Another bright point, sunshine, is you're only 32 miles from the Geographic center of the conterminous U.S. Whatever the hell that is, we were there. One thing, you can sit there and watch the fricking wind blow. Put that on the list of your life to do list.

Carhenge was neat, but a little eccentric, but heck, who isn't?

And, seriously, what else is there to do when crossing Kansas?

Self-portrait at Cawker City:

twineathon29.jpg

And the marker at the geographic center of the contiguous 48 states:

geocenter2.jpg

Gawd, it was hot that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read your ride report yesterday, very well written and great photos! Brought back memories of last summer for me. We rode (son & I) from Cody to Red Lodge via Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass, thru Cooke City, Yellowstone, Tetons down to Jackson. Fantastic trip, going back for more this summer. My brother & sister in law are IBA members, did the IB in 2005 and finished the whole 11 days. Not sure I could ever do that!