Saddlebag Lid Cover Removal Anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Q

Reaction score
Well I had something jump up and bit my right side saddlebag. The lid cover is cracked. has anyone had the inner and outer panels separated. would have to get the cover apart from the inner shell to repair correctly...see pic. Option "B" I guess is to buy a new one. Tried searching and did not find where anyone was pulled them apart....

6d579cf0.jpg

Some '03 and '04 owners that did not want the lid cover to come off had it separate and come off. Several people that DID want to get the cover off found it impossible. It is virtually impossible to remove the covers from all properly manufactured saddlebags.

What most people do is drill out the hinge rivets and then send the cover to the Forum's own patch 'n paint wizard garauld for a 'like new' fix. You could also drop off the bag at a trusted auto body shop and let them repair and paint the cover.

Not sure this can be repaired properly without getting behind it....I'm no expert...could epoxy it but I dont want to mess it up further..

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest finding an intact lid somewhere instead of trying to fix a cracked one. The fix will hold for a while - you may get lucky, but then again... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it cracked al lthe way through? It looks more like a dent. You can inject some epoxy between the outer and inner layer of the cover if you dril a small hole in the inside - make sure you don't go all the way through with the drill. Mix up some epoxy and put it in a glue injector (syringe). Once cured, the epoxy will keep anything form moving around and will make it easier to repair the exterior.