Saddlebag Locks, I am an @SSHole for not listening!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. That explains why the right side lock wasn't closing without a little extra persuasion. The other side is fine so far.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
After returning from NAFO I noticed one of my saddlebag locks was not performing correctly. I took the bag off and found one of the screws had backed out.I went to the hardware store intending to buy the screws but the gentleman that helped me suggested that I just buy the proper tool. It is a Torx Security Bit. I have enclosed a picture of it in the package. A little Locktite, the tool, a 1/4 inch socket set and it worked for me! $1.36

misc367.jpg

The #9 is too small. Correct size is #10 tamperproof.

Found mine loose last week after 8000 miles 4 months. Almost lost it all.

After returning from NAFO I noticed one of my saddlebag locks was not performing correctly. I took the bag off and found one of the screws had backed out.I went to the hardware store intending to buy the screws but the gentleman that helped me suggested that I just buy the proper tool. It is a Torx Security Bit. I have enclosed a picture of it in the package. A little Locktite, the tool, a 1/4 inch socket set and it worked for me! $1.36

The #9 is too small. Correct size is #10 tamperproof.

Found mine loose last week after 8000 miles 4 months. Almost lost it all.

Don't you just have to ask yourself, why would anyone put a tamperproof screw on the INSIDE of a locked case ?

Two questions:

1) Has anybody received a new bike from the dealership with the locktite in place?

2) Has anybody lost a bag after they locktited the screws?

I just used the locktite the other night after noticing there was any on my locks. I've been extremely happy with my stealer thinking they did everything perfect up until this point. Anything else that should be locktited, I'm on a roll!

I just used the locktite the other night after noticing there was any on my locks. I've been extremely happy with my stealer thinking they did everything perfect up until this point. Anything else that should be locktited, I'm on a roll!
Checked mine at 1500 miles - loose and not locktited - also had a handlebar switch fall out on the RH switch assembly - I'm systematically going through every nut and bolt on the bike now - finding many not torqued correctly. In all fairness to the dealer much of this is probably coming this way from the factory.

... In all fairness to the dealer much of this is probably coming this way from the factory.
As has been posted before, these are dealer installs, not factory. It is the dealer's responsibilty to install them correctly, they're not simply checking what was done by the factory.

Can anyone point me to a post on "re-keying" these locks? I know I saw a great set of directions with pictures and all. I can't seem to find it either via Google or the internal search engine. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong, but I rarely find what I'm looking for. Trying:

fjr forum : re-key

fjr forum : rekey

fjr forum : locks

fjr forum : key

fjr forum : top lock

etc.

And inverted

re-key : fjr forum

etc.

Thanks... Great tips here as always

Can anyone point me to a post on "re-keying" these locks? I know I saw a great set of directions with pictures and all. I can't seem to find it either via Google or the internal search engine. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong, but I rarely find what I'm looking for. Trying:

etc.

And inverted

etc.

use this format on google

re-keying locks site:fjrforum.com

though in this case It didn't return much this is as close as I could find

click this

etc.

And inverted

etc.

use this format on google

re-keying locks site:fjrforum.com

though in this case It didn't return much this is as close as I could find

click this

tried "rekey" yielded much more

Canyonman, that was exactly the post and search tip I was looking for. I'll save both now. Thanks very kindly for your help.

Canyonman, that was exactly the post and search tip I was looking for. I'll save both now. Thanks very kindly for your help.
Zip,

For future reference, when using the Forum search engine.

Add a + sign between each key word: +re-key+helmet+lock

What makes it frustrating is when you search in the wrong Forum. The above string of keywords found the same thread Canyonman found. It was located in the "Parts and Accessories". Logic may have lead one to search in the "Technical Discussion" first. I used the P and A forum and that yielded 15 pages. The post resided on page 7. Like you, I remembered the post. Picking the correct Forum is the bitch. :unsure:

Good luck with your next search.

and for new owners, do not believe your dealer when they appear knowledgeable about this issue and tell you they have secured the screws because they have not!!!

I just picked up my second FJR that I asked all the right questions about during delivery and two separate

dealers

swore that they knew about and prperly installed the screws. but in both cases I checked at home and all were finger tight with no loctite!

buy a cheap set of security torx and do it yourslf.

God, I hate to admit this... I finally got my act together today and bought a crappy, but functional set of security drivers at Harbor Freight so I could finally check those four little PIA screws.

Yep only barely finger-tight. A little LocTite Blue and the old calibrated wrist to screw them in "tight". Now I can rest comfortably! :blink:

Trust me when I say you'd never have heard about it if, in my sloth, I had failed to do this simple little item, and had later lost one of the bags on the highway! :rolleyes:

I may be old, I know for certain I'm slow, but my Mama didn't raise no fool!

Don

etc.

And inverted

etc.

If you use Firefox you can also use this method:

firefox search

Well unfortunately I don't visit here on a regular schedule and missed any posts about this problem. I lost one lock and the saddlebag popped open on my 08 FJR and I lost my wifes almost new $400 helmet somewhere on the road. The other lock screws were loose and would have eventually fallen out. Went to the dealer I purchased the bike from here in Louisville and they ordered a replacement lock approxymately 6 weeks ago. Never heard anything so i went back last week. Apparently the order never got placed or it was lost. After two more visits to the dealer it is apparently finally on order. If you lose a lock do not expect to get a matching lock so you will only need one key. I was informed today Yamaha cannot supply matching locks to the original keycode. They also take no responsability for the lost helmet. Does anyone know if the locks come installed from Yamaha on the bags or the dealer installs them???