Saddlebag Mystery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highrailer

Reaction score
Went to get my 09A out this afternoon. I keep it in the shop behind my house. When I came up behind the bike I noticed both saddlebags were hanging off. The back hook on each bag was not in the slot. Both locks were still engaged but had dropped down out of their slots. Now I cant figure out if someone tried to steal them or did they get bumped out on my last ride? Just rode it 2 days ago and didn't notice anything. There was no sign of forced entry into the shop and there are no scratches or pry marks on the bags. Mounted them back on the bike properly and they do seem to have more play in them than they used to. Picking up on the rear of the bag I still could not get it out of the slot though. Im sure with enough pressure you could pop it out of that rear slot. Only had them off maybe one or two times in the past year. Question is, if someone was trying to steal them, why didn't they go ahead and take them. There was a lot of other stuff in the shop including helmets and tools that were not bothered. Im baffled.

Highly recomended- The Toecutter bag pinning farkle somewhere on this forum-cheap peace of mind. Especially after I almost got brained at 60 mph by my bud's bag which got loose from his Concourse 1000...

Even if it happened to just one bag, I'd be a little leery. Sounds to me that maybe the last person to attach the bags failed to place the bags over the lower rubber mounted slot. But because you mention both bags were hanging off, that sounds too weird to me. Never heard of that one before.

Right after I bought my '08 two years ago, I took the little screws out holding the lock mechanism off and placed a drop or two of loctite on the screws before replacing. Although never had any problems prior, I've have not had any problem since either. Hopefully never will. To hear stories of bags flying off at speed sucks.

I think if I were you, I'd perform the loctite thing, put the bags back on making sure they are correct and rest assured they will not come off. And if you think someone is messing with your bike to steal your side cases, it may be time to lock-n-load!!

Mice are a big problem around here in the winter - they get into everthing from airbox to parts boxes. I think a gang of the little critters was just trying to make-off with your panniers and move them to a better neighborhood. :unsure:

OK, so I've been cooped-up too long, watched too much Olympics, and desperately need a ride.

pete :cold:

If there are other people in this workshop of your perhaps someone else took em off and did'nt properly replace em. Since both were exactly the same?

Very weird indeed. Nope, Im the only one with access to the bike. Last time I had the bags off was to install the Holeshot slip ons. Thats been several thousand miles ago. The locks are all still tight. The bar was still extended on both sides. There is a slight gouge in the plastic underneath the rear slots where the hooks slid down the outside of the slots. It takes a lot of force to get that rear hook out of the slot with the lock engaged. I cant imagine that could happen while riding. Especially both sides at the same time! Oh well. Just have to keep a close eye on them for a while.

Oh yeh, if somesome is messing around out there, Im ready......

Last edited by a moderator:
When you rode it two days ago were you away from the bike at any time like in a restaurant or store? It sounds like someone might have been monkeying around with them but on the other hand if they couldn't get one off why would they then try the other instead of just giving up?

I guess the other possibility is that you didn't have them on correctly in the first place and they eventually ended up like you found them after hitting a bump or something.

It's probably one of those things that will remain a mystery.

I have had the pins for the toecutter mod since last year and have just not gotten around to drilling the holes. Now it's on the top of my list before my riding season starts again this year.

When you rode it two days ago were you away from the bike at any time like in a restaurant or store? It sounds like someone might have been monkeying around with them but on the other hand if they couldn't get one off why would they then try the other instead of just giving up?
I guess the other possibility is that you didn't have them on correctly in the first place and they eventually ended up like you found them after hitting a bump or something.

It's probably one of those things that will remain a mystery.

I have had the pins for the toecutter mod since last year and have just not gotten around to drilling the holes. Now it's on the top of my list before my riding season starts again this year.

No, my previous ride was 30 or 40 miles with no stops. When I put the bike up I didn't notice anything but they may have been that way when I left the bike. Although, I dont think they would have stayed on for very long the way they were hanging. Just in case I have installed a second lock on the shop door.

No, my previous ride was 30 or 40 miles with no stops. When I put the bike up I didn't notice anything but they may have been that way when I left the bike. Although, I dont think they would have stayed on for very long the way they were hanging. Just in case I have installed a second lock on the shop door.
It was probably Ninjas then :assassin: