Saddlebags removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARKIO

Reaction score
Having an issue regarding removal of the saddlebags on my 08 FJR; when lifting the handle to remove the saddlebags (primarily on the right side) you have to force it, as if the upper bracket (on the bike's frame) is not aligned with the locking mechanism of the saddlebags. The bags do come off, but only after wrestling with the handles and hearing a loud "pop" and feeling like something is about to snap or breakoff. Had the dealer look into this when the bike got its 300 mile inspection and the service underwriter said "don't worry about it". Since the bags came with the bike don't know whether it's a dealer or Yamaha issue. Anyone experience this issue?

I'd try and distinguish between an alignment issue and a bag mechanism issue. Does it come off any easier if you huge the case and move it around as you're moving the release? If so, then and alignment issue.

However, if not, it might be the bag. Also, does it feel catchy when the bag is off the bike? I found mine was gummed up with accumulated road grime and our dusty climate. A shot of WD40 on the upper catch and it loosened right up. Or maybe compressed air to blow things out.

That said, yeah, you don't want to force it. If you go to hard it won't necessarily break, but will skip a cog on the track and then it's nasty because it won't secure all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having an issue regarding removal of the saddlebags on my 08 FJR; when lifting the handle to remove the saddlebags (primarily on the right side) you have to force it, as if the upper bracket (on the bike's frame) is not aligned with the locking mechanism of the saddlebags. The bags do come off, but only after wrestling with the handles and hearing a loud "pop" and feeling like something is about to snap or breakoff. Had the dealer look into this when the bike got its 300 mile inspection and the service underwriter said "don't worry about it". Since the bags came with the bike don't know whether it's a dealer or Yamaha issue. Anyone experience this issue?
The bag has a pin that is operated by the lever which locks the bag to the bike (from below). I suspect it would be hard to insert the two upper tangs (and align the bottom slot) and NOT have the locking pin in the right place - it requires closer inspection on your part.

Is it as stiff when you operate the lever while the bag is off the bike? If not, then the problem is likely alignment - though whether it is an operator issue or one related to the bike may not be clear. If yes, then it could be that there is some interference in the bag's mechanism - I do remember how stiff f it was when my bike was new . . . . maybe it is just that the cam operator isn't worked in?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd try and distinguish between an alignment issue and a bag mechanism issue. Does it come off any easier if you huge the case and move it around as you're moving the release? If so, then and alignment issue.
However, if not, it might be the bag. Also, does it feel catchy when the bag is off the bike? I found mine was gummed up with accumulated road grime and our dusty climate. A shot of WD40 on the upper catch and it loosened right up. Or maybe compressed air to blow things out.

That said, yeah, you don't want to force it. If you go to hard it won't necessarily break, but will skip a cog on the track and then it's nasty because it won't secure all the way.
Thank you for the valuable info. It definitely is an alignment issue since when the bags are off the bike the handle lifts flawlessly. The question is what can be done to align the bags locking mechanism with the bikes frame?

Thank you for the valuable info. It definitely is an alignment issue since when the bags are off the bike the handle lifts flawlessly. The question is what can be done to align the bags locking mechanism with the bikes frame?
Did the dealer install the pads for the bottom of the bags? There's a groove on the front of the bag that fits on a pad on the muffler bracket.

sidebagbrace.jpg

Fitted a new bag to mine a few weeks ago (this is why). Operation of the release is stiff and "pops" as you describe. It's probably due to the plunger thingy pressing hard against the rubber bump stop up in the frame.

I found it helps a lot if you press down on the bag top as you pull up on the handle. This way you help reduce the pressure on the plunger against its stop; if you just pull up on the handle, you are increasing the pressure. As it's an over-centre action, you are fighting it if you just pull up on the handle.

After a few releases, it comes more easily.

The bags on my 08 release with the pop you describe as well. When I picked up the bike and thet were giving me the walk-around the guy at the dealership had trouble removing the bags and it has not got any easier since then.