Safety Philosopy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I would like to generate a discussion on safety. Last week someone posted a question about where in their lane folks tended to ride. For whatever reason, that struck a cord with me and I’ve been thinking about that off and on since then and wanted to continue a general safety thread.

I’ll begin by providing my philosophy on riding safety and I hope I’ll generate discussion about yours. I know I don’t control what folks post, but I’m not looking for quotes from the MSF, AMA, David Hough, Lee Parks, or a link to xxxxxx and a comment that this link makes further discussion pointless. I’d much prefer you share “your” thoughts based on “your” experience (I fully understand that your experience includes, as does mine, reading and studying writings of the above folks as well as taking classes, etc). I took the MSF basic course and have read the books from David, Lee and several others. I’ve also taken Lee Park’s Total Control class. Bottom line is that I’d like a discussion on what philosophy you have developed from your study and from your experiences.

Here’s the background for my thoughts (experience) so you can judge whether you will consider what I say as having some value or not. I picked up my beautiful 05 Galaxy Blue FJR named Maxine on 28 May 2005 – my 53rd birthday. I took the MSF Basic class (with Lorie – a beautiful sandy haired blonde I married in 1980) in Aug 04; I’ve read David Hough’s books, Lee Parks (took his class too), Keith Code, and Nick Isentach. My previous riding experience was limited to 1 ride on a buddy’s bike (in which I ran off the road in a turn) and a 1 day rental, both in 1977. Yes, the FJR is my first bike – I’ve had her for 29.5 months and have traveled 27k miles. I’d estimate 80 – 85% on VA 2 lane back roads (or the like) and the rest commuting on Rt95 (3 lane divided highway, traffic headed the same direction). I have made 1 “emergency stop” – my own doing. I’ve used my ABS twice, the aforementioned emergency stop, and once as I rode across someone’s lawn after entering a corner too fast – again, my fault! I’ve had several folks turn left in front of me closer than I’d have liked, but did not require any heroics to miss them. On 95 I’ve never had any problems whatsoever (other than the usual 95 rush hour thrill of going 75 – 80mph one minute and the next going to 0mph – a real thrill (usually for no apparent reason)). I think my uneventful riding is the result of “luck” and my riding style – and I hope my luck continues.

I spent my adult life as a Marine so you will find that I write using military jargon. That jargon has an aggressive tone, but let me clearly state that I am not an “aggressive” rider as we think of “aggressive” drivers. I do not weave in and out of traffic, I do not tailgate, I do not ride noticeably faster than surrounding traffic, etc. In fact, I try never to be “the guy out front.” So don’t let some of my language turn you off. However, I am not perfect, I do – when I find myself pretty much alone on the road – accelerate briskly and take corners at a higher speed than absolutely necessary – so I do not mean to imply that I am a “goody two-shoes” or the like.

Here goes – I think that we as riders have the same “rights” and “responsibilities” on the road as our 4 – wheeled counterparts. I believe that when we enter the driving “realm,” we have to assert those rights and in doing so we must “gain and maintain contact” with those other drivers/riders on the road. When you trust your safety to someone else, you lose – no question, no ifs, no ands, and no buts. I would liken my philosophy to the Operational Concept/tactic developed by the Germans after a few years of trench warfare in WWI – an “Active Defense.” Maintain an overall defensive posture, but when able (here when necessary), act “offensively” at the local level (remember the “aggression” disclaimer above). I would liken my “offensive” action as that action taken to make sure others see me, and BTW, my Olympia Neon Yellow AST jacket is one thing that helps (I don’t own nor will I wear black clothes (jacket/helmet) on the bike)– one lady called the AST a “retina burning color – good news by me!

Here’s what I mean (RT 95 type roads) - when I’m in a lane, I want other drivers to know that I’m there, it’s my lane, and they need to stay the heck out. I think it is more important in this instance to make myself visible to other drivers than it is to get as far from other drivers as I can to increase reaction time. I think that by riding far from other drivers (left side of left lane) you are in fact inviting them to “lane share” with you. You know what I mean, the thought that “well he/she isn’t using the whole lane, I’ll just impinge a little bit to pass this clown in front of me.” I’ve seen it done, and I think riding in this manner invites it. I usually ride in the right center of the far left lane. I think that makes me visible to riders on my right, and frees me from concern about riders on my left. I leave the “usual” space between me and the car in front of me. Odd thing is that I am virtually never tailgated when on the bike – in the car, all the time! I also do my very best to make sure I keep an open space to my right and am not in anyone’s blind spot. I will speed up or slow down as necessary to keep that open space (hence the “offensive” part of the “defensive” posture.

Still on 95 type road, I will ride in the center lane, but not routinely. If I do, I’ll work to keep an open space on both sides and will “guard” one side – I’ll ride in either the left center or right center of the lane. In fact I’ll switch according to the “threat.” When I ride in the right lane (of a 3 lane road) I’m in the left center unless an on-ramp is coming up. In that case, if I see a car coming on, I’ll get in the right side of the lane and again either speed up or slow down to keep my left side open.

On our 2-lane country roads around here I use the left center as my default. I want the oncoming cars to see me, and (using the “stay away” philosophy) I want to be farthest away from the jungle critters that run into the road at will. When I come to a blind hill, I think the danger from an oncoming car in my lane is greater than the critter danger, so I’ll move to the right side of the lane until I crest the hill, then I’ll return to the left center.

Another example – around town in a separate left hand turn lane – I will sit in the right center of the turn lane – again, I want drivers to see me and not try and share my lane. I don’t normally “cover” my front brake when I ride. However, I will when going thru an intersection, a neighborhood, or in any other situation I think warrants it – in fact I do it quite a bit on 95 when traffic is slow but moving, and the appeal to other drives of quickly switching lanes to get somewhere 5 seconds faster is strong.

I guess to sum it up, I think that it’s a better tactic to be visible than it is to be farther from other cars. I’d want to be proactive in being seen rather than reactive in dodging people who don’t see me, or worse yet, who see me but think that they can share my lane since I’m not using it all! And BTW, I’d much rather have a car behind me than a bike! I’ve had many more dumbass bikers behind me than cagers – hard to believe maybe, but true! To include the fellow FJR rider (either an 05 or 06) who tailgated me and then when I moved to the right lane, he passed me on the right and speed away at probably 90 or 100mph – yes, during rush hour on RT95. But then again I know I didn’t need to worry because he was a profession – exhibited by his riding style and the fact that one headlight was burned out, and one taillight was burned out! And call me what you want, but I do stay as far away from “cruisers” as I can.

So, that’s what I “think.” I hope this generates some worthwhile discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with most of what you say regarding positioning in the lane depending on the 'threat', but personally in the left lane on the highway I choose to be in the left portion of the lane. In my opinion, you choose right center in this scenario, and I feel like the probability of being in someones blind spot in higher. Every time you pass a cage, you are temporarily in their blind spot.

I feel like being in the left portion of the lane in this scenario leaves more a time and space buffer for correction once they do realize their error in encroaching on my lane. It also leaves me more time to change speeds to remedy the situation, and as a last resort I have some sort of breakdown lane, median, or gutter to bail to as a last resort.

But again, it all depends on what other vehicles are around on what my mental evaluation of their driving style and awareness is. I find that as you are approaching other vehicles, their movement in the lane and other habits are sometimes easy to predict.

I picked up my beautiful 05 Galaxy Blue FJR named Maxine on 28 May 2005 – my 53rd birthday.
I don't have time to respond to your main issue right now, so I'll try to get back to it later, maybe this evening. But, while I have been riding since age 13, I laughed out loud at the similarity in our FJR purchases:

I picked up my '05 Galaxy Blue FJR which is unnamed on 15 April 2005 -- MY 53rd birthday.

Hey Jim,

A good read. Ya I didn't chime in on the "lane" thread. What surprised me about it were the comments about where to stay (tire tracks etc) as if there is an answer. IMO what was missing is "It Depends"

For me, my position is much more about seeing the sitution ahead of me.

#1 I want the best line of site to know what is coming up.

#2 I want to put myself in the best position to react to both expected and non expected events.

The first part of this equation is to know what's coming, the second is to be in a positoin to maneuver accordingly.

I'm much less concerend as to whether i"m on the right, left middle, bike lane :unsure: , or whatever ...I want to know what is coming up first and foremost.

This isn't just traffic, but if you're in the twisties, and taking good lines, you'll be using nearly all of *your* lane. A big pet-peave of mine is guys that square corners by crossing center line in turns. Amazing how many "good :rolleyes: " riders will do that.

Again the position and lines I take aren't just for efficiency of *that* particular turn, but putting yourself in a good line of site to what is coming up.

Being seen is also important, and I agree with you: I'd much rather have a Cage behind me than many bikers that we ride with. Now, I must admit that I have a couple of friends and during spirited riding in tight twisties we're in each other's hip pocket ...but that is after years of riding together and we know each other well. (my buddy will often come up and adjust my rearview mirror for me ..in the twisties at 60+MPH) No, I'm not encouraging that ...my point being that I'm more comfortable with that than a guy who doesn't know what he's doing 30yards behind. I often spend as much energy being conscience of the bad rider behind me than what is coming up. That is too bad.

It is no wonder that many, including myself often make efforts to avoid group rides.

...and I'll leave you with this question. ---Regarding the phrase: "Ride Your Own Ride"

Why is it that guys that preach "Ride Your Own Ride" to others, ...are the same guys that want to be the first to tell you how to ride, what to wear blah blah blah?? LOL LOL maybe someone can explain that one to me.

"It depends", from ...reno John

When I'm passing or beside a vehicle, I try to keep the driver's head visible in his side mirror. That way I know I'm visible to him, if he makes the effort to look.

If I'm behind someone, especially on a curve, my lane position depends on threats ahead. If there's a car to the right looking to pull in, I'll be far right, so I don't "appear out of nowhere" from his perspective. In other words, don't hide behind the guy you're following.

There is no single "correct" position in a lane. You want to be seen by as many of the others out there as possible.

For the first post's last paragraph, I've had lots of bikes shoot by me, in my lane, assuming it was OK since I was to the side. (Usually big sport-bikes and no gear!) About half the time it was a total surprise. When they're weaving through traffic and shooting across lanes, you get very lttile warning in the mirrors. I have no problem sharing the lane for a bike to pass, but wait for a wave-through. I've taken wave-throughs, and I'll give a wave-through. Just don't shoot through because the space is there. I won't like crashing my bike, and I won't like waiting for you to come out of the hospital so I can kick your ass and teach you about ATGATT.

All good stuff here, but I want to add the one most important thing I do when riding: FOCUS. Don't let anything distract you from the task at hand. You need to watch every car in your vicinity and know what they are doing. You need to watch the road ahead for curves and possible traffic situations, you need to watch the shoulders, side roads, and driveways, and you need to watch the road surface in front of you for obstacles and ravel and such. That's a lot of things to pay attention to all at once and there is no time for any distractions.

Jim,

I think if you reread the "lane" thread you will have your answer. To summarize it, lane position should be "fluid".

Hey Jim,
A good read. Ya I didn't chime in on the "lane" thread. What surprised me about it were the comments about where to stay (tire tracks etc) as if there is an answer. IMO what was missing is "It Depends"
John, I think we have covered "It Depends" in that thread. And I know for sure that I have stated that it is "fluid". Maybe you have missed it.

...and I'll leave you with this question. ---Regarding the phrase: "Ride Your Own Ride"
Why is it that guys that preach "Ride Your Own Ride" to others, ...are the same guys that want to be the first to tell you how to ride, what to wear blah blah blah?? LOL LOL maybe someone can explain that one to me.

"It depends", from ...reno John
Not sure if it is rhetorical question that requires an answer or not. But I will give my 2 cents.

Those of us who always tell others to ride their own ride trying to educate others on what that really means. Lots of people have no clue what it really means to "ride their own ride". They look at their friends who have been riding longer then they are by a whopping 2 month and mimic them. And then when you talk to them they tell you so and so is doing it or said so.

Safety philosophy spreads wider then just which lane to use and how to protect it. It is a mind set. You have to want to be safe before you can begin to be safe. You need to know the consequences of every action before you take that action. You have to expect the unexpected. Been military guy you should know this better then any civilian. The minute you trow your leg over the seat you enter a battlefield and it could be your last if you do not protect your self.

Lots of people ride way too aggressive for the street and I know I do it sometimes as well. Sometimes we get lucky sometimes we don't. We need to minimize how often we ride at the level that gets us closer to be the last ride. Going into a turn and finding a debris on the middle should not cause a crash. Why? because we should have expected it and rode accordingly. You say, it will remove all the fun. It does not have to. Instead of riding at 70%, how about riding at 60%. That extra 10% can be the difference between crashing or not.

We can go on and on. I think you get the point.

Alex, you have it right, right on the last line of your signature line: "...superior motorcyclist is one who uses superior riding strategies in such a way to not ever have to use superior skills."

We can go on and on. I think you get the point.
The point I got is that
....you just gave a big speal on telling me how to ride. That Is NOT the same as telling me to "Ride My Own Ride"

no harm in either, but the hypocracy of guys that do both is what I find amusing.

Frankly, i'd just as soon someone tell me to ride my own ride and leave it at that ....I do the same for others. If someone asks (as jim did) or if they open the door for suggestions I'm glad to give my $0.02

If I sound disrespectful, sorry ...but I've been on too many group rides where the leader will start out with: "Everyone ride your own ride" ....and then proceed to tell everyone how to ride. Ridiculous. We all have our own ride, we're all responsible for our own ride.

I do agree agree with you if someone doesn't know what what Ride Your Own Ride Means (I'm assuming you are referring to a new rider who's not getting good advice?) ....and in this scenerio I agree, that maybe RYOR may not be enough ...maybe some additional coaching/mentoring is a good thing.

My ride may not be anything like your ride, ....but it's mine and it suits me just fine. It's taken me a lot of miles and many years to get it where it is and it will always be work in process. Most special to me?: It's mine!! It is that spirit that IMO makes RYOR so special, it means ride within YOUR skillset, the way YOU enjoy riding and don't be distracted by other's rides. Other's rides may not be suited to you for various reasons, it is just personal responsibility.

'Ride Your Own Ride" Cougar, whatever it is for you and we'll see you down the road. {insert thumbs-up here}

RenoJohn - funny, in my diatribe I didn't mention the "seeing what's coming" part of the equation. Don't know why as that is also a big consideration for me - in fact one reason I don't ride in the middle is to get better visibility around the car in front of me and the ability to anticipate is also enhanced by sound position selection.

And Cougar - I absolutely agree with the below from you. I did mention a big part of the anticipation equation, and that is leaving yourself an out - even if you have to adjust your speed which also evokes flexibility.

Safety philosophy spreads wider then just which lane to use and how to protect it. It is a mind set. You have to want to be safe before you can begin to be safe. You need to know the consequences of every action before you take that action. You have to expect the unexpected. Been military guy you should know this better then any civilian. The minute you trow your leg over the seat you enter a battlefield and it could be your last if you do not protect your self.

John,

It is internet and it is hard to translate someone feeling and tone of voice. We are cool.

You are talking about some people not knowing what RYOR means and referring to a new riders. I know plenty "seasoned" riders who do not know what that is either.

It sounds to me like we are talking about apples and oranges here. I do not think people at least here are trying to tell others how they should RYOR. What I see happening is people asking for options/recommendations and are given just such. Plus, some people are just too shy to ask the question or even to post. We have over 5k registered and only hand full really post.

And you are also correct that we all have our own RYOR definition. The only time it should be altered is during a group rides. And only for the reason for safety for the entire group. (please do not read it as never alter RYOR unless you are in a group ride. You should always improve it, but you have to adopt ROYR to a group and that is what I really mean.)

There are different leaders. I for example feel responsible for the whole group and that is why I am asking for certain rules to be followed. If someone does not like what I have to say as a leader of the group they are more then welcome to either take over the lead, or make their own ride. Is it fare? maybe not, but If I am assuming responsibility for the group I like to know that people know what I expect and I also know what to expect from them.

I enjoy reading what others do to keep them safe. Some stuff I ignore, other I keep in my mind and try to implement into my riding style.