Sag Harbor, NY to Visit With TheAxeman

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to visit some day

My Dad is born and bred on Long Island, NY - Lindenhurst

WWII brought him to Biloxi, MS for Army training - Biloxi Blues

my uncle introduced Mom to Dad and the rest is history - married just after the war and they moved to NY for him to get his undergrad and masters at NYU under the GI Bill. He was a medic in the rear in the Pacific.

Did ya'll see Jordan's Navy Cross (I being Navy) ??? That has to be another gulp moment.

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

I'd love to visit some dayMy Dad is born and bred on Long Island, NY - Lindenhurst

WWII brought him to Biloxi, MS for Army training - Biloxi Blues

my uncle introduced Mom to Dad and the rest is history - married just after the war and they moved to NY for him to get his undergrad and masters at NYU under the GI Bill. He was a medic in the rear in the Pacific.

Did ya'll see Jordan's Navy Cross (I being Navy) ??? That has to be another gulp moment.

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'
Slight hijack here...but from what I understand about the Pacific Campaign, there was no "rear area" if you were a medic as part of an island assault. In fact, you were the first one the Japanese Army looked to kill. The medics were quickly ordered to take off their medical corpsman helmet with the cross after many sniper deaths. The Japanese would still identify you as a medic by the medical kit you carried. They would hit you to wound you...then pick off the soldiers one by one trying to save you...knowing that special bond between a soldier and a medic.

Make no mistake about it, if you part of an assault, being a medic was dangerous business. So kudos to your Dad and all who have served.

Hijack over.

Last edited by a moderator: