Sampson Fuel Cell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the sampson fuel cell for the FJR. I have the factory trunk and am concerend about the clearance. They show it with a Givi trunk but not the factory one.

I emailed them and they say they think it will fit but not definite.

Also I want to know if it is easy to remove for traveling with Wife.

Sorry one more thing is it good quality.

https://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/fjr-fuel-cells.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a very 'interesting' experience with them. Before you ask, at this time I am not willing to elaborate.

The finished product overall looks to be well made. I personally don't like the mounting method they use on the FJR, but that's all personal choice. Its not quite as 'quick and easy' to remove as stated on their web site, but its not as bad as having to remove your grab rail like the Tanji cell. Its still less than a 15 minute job, so its not too bad.

I don't know if it will work with the Yamaha topcase. I don't have one so I really don't know.

Something to keep in mind about their fuel cell. Its less than 4 gallons. This may not be a big deal to you, but if your trying to maximize your capacity and distance, there are other options out there that will provide you with nearly a full gallon more.

Capacity doesn't become a big issue unless you want to have a sanctioned IBA capacity of 11.5 gallons. Some just want a longer range so 4 gallons is enough. But I am with you get all you can to capacity.

You must have upgraded the seat to stay on it that long. :D Chris
Not necessarily.

It is possible that some just ride faster - covering 350-400 miles in the same time that some cover 225. :D

But yeah, most, if not all that pay the $$$$ for a fuel cell have paid the $$$$ for a custom seat. Some more than one custom seat. ;) Or an Airhawk whoopee cushion.

Or perhaps, they call it the Iron Butt Association for a good reason. :p

Interesting....I was also looking at the Sampson Fuel cell. I like the fact that you can keep the topbox mounted, I am not that concerned with taking it off, but on the other hand less than 4 gallons.....it seems like alot of B.S. to go through for less than 4 gallons. Oh well still on the fence on this one. Thanks, Dgrenon