Samsung Galaxy S5 on the Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about what you like. My wife and I have iphones, and have for a long time. We got the kids Galaxy's. They go through them faster than iphones, but I think that's their usage, not a phone problem.. I prefer the functionality of the iphone, but then, I keep mine in an otterbox. I think the samsungs are more durable if you're not using a case and moisture is involved. I use my iphone as a cable tv remote, and it's my primary gps when riding. I think I could get by just as well with an S5. They've come a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little confused when you say you down graded but then say the S5 is awesome and no drawbacks from the Maxx. Anyway,from the reviews I've read on the S5, you can enable the extended battery function that will stop all apps when it gets to 10% battery level but gives you basic phone operation for up to 24 hours. I like that idea especially in an emergency. Also thinking about the Note 4 but it's kinda bigger than I want.
Have a friend letting me try out his Zumo 665. He no longer needs it and will sell it to me at half-price but I can't find a way to load in more than one destination very easily. The reviews all seem to like the 665 though, also not seeing the dashboard like on my Garmin car version.
I was being slightly "tongue in cheek". My Droid MAXX never needed to go into any special battery saving modes. The battery lasted 30 hours plus typically. I would definitely consider that a down grade. But if you plan to be near a charger all the time, then the S5 works great. and if you are really into using your phone for pictures, the s5 is far superior.

A little confused when you say you down graded but then say the S5 is awesome and no drawbacks from the Maxx. Anyway,from the reviews I've read on the S5, you can enable the extended battery function that will stop all apps when it gets to 10% battery level but gives you basic phone operation for up to 24 hours. I like that idea especially in an emergency. Also thinking about the Note 4 but it's kinda bigger than I want.

Have a friend letting me try out his Zumo 665. He no longer needs it and will sell it to me at half-price but I can't find a way to load in more than one destination very easily. The reviews all seem to like the 665 though, also not seeing the dashboard like on my Garmin car version.
I was being slightly "tongue in cheek". My Droid MAXX never needed to go into any special battery saving modes. The battery lasted 30 hours plus typically. I would definitely consider that a down grade. But if you plan to be near a charger all the time, then the S5 works great. and if you are really into using your phone for pictures, the s5 is far superior.
Thanks for the feedback.

4-5 hours of HEAVY use and my S5 will have slightly less than 30% battery left. Maybe not the best, but definately not a slouch. The good thing is, it charges pretty quickly, and is ready to go another round in a short period of time. By far the best phone I have ever owned.

4-5 hours of HEAVY use and my S5 will have slightly less than 30% battery left. Maybe not the best, but definately not a slouch. The good thing is, it charges pretty quickly, and is ready to go another round in a short period of time. By far the best phone I have ever owned.
Well that is better than my S4. After 4-5 hrs of heavy usage, my battery will be pretty much depleted.

BTW- Release date for the new Galaxy S6 in now 4 mos away (Mar 2015)

samsung-galaxy-s6-release-date-rumors.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather and waterproof aspects of the Samsung are very appealing. I went swimming twice with my iPhone...the second time in a Lifeproof case. It doesn't take much water to kill one of these, and thanks to a Squaretrade warranty, the damage was limited to a replacement deductible. My lifestyle just isn't that good for fragile phones that can't live in the environment. I'll be giving the VI a good long look when replacement time comes next year.

Well that is better than my S4. After 4-5 hrs of heavy usage, my battery will be pretty much depleted.

BTW- Release date for the new Galaxy S6 in now 4 mos away (Mar 2015)
FWIW - I get a good 2 days outta my galaxy S4......

I got an extended battery, which comes with a replacement cover - and you can also get a case that they make to fit that new shape....

I don't mind the extra thickness, its a fair trade off for the extra battery life.... been using that setup for 2 years now...

Price is certainly right....

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Extended-Compatible-Carriers-compatible/dp/B00BCK2G40

I do run my phone with a custom ROM, which gets rid of all that factory bloat and extends battery life.

they also make those extended batteries and cases for the Galaxy S5's.... that is the benefit of the Galaxy phones, removable battery....