Sargent backrest fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
I recently installed a Sargent seat with the backrest on my 08 A, and have been very happy with it except for one thing. The rubber bumper on the backrest meant to keep from scratching/ gouging the FJR's rack, will quickly rub enough to fall out, and then will really wreak havoc with the rail on the stock rack. The problem with the backrest is that there is not a POSOTIVE stop when you insert it. It will go all the way down until the rubber bumper contacts the rail on the rack, especially when it is in use by the passenger.

I got to looking at it, and found a cheap relatively easy fix using steel roll pins that I finished this afternoon. I thought I would share it with the forum for guys that are getting this seat.

First, remove the back seat, and remove the reciever for the backrest. It is easier, and safer to work with it off the seat.

DSC00761-1.jpg

With the reciever off, inseert the backrest into the reciever until you feel a slight click. This is supposed to be how the backrest stops from going in any further. Make sure you are inserting the backrest as it will go when the reciever is mounted to the seat.

Then you want to measure where you want to drill the holes for the pins. You will need to get (2) 1/8"x1" spring steel roll pins.

DSC00763.jpg

Transpose this measurement to the outside of the reciever, and carefully mark. You will want to allow for the width of the drill bit when marking. A little lower is better than too high. Use an awl to centerpunch the aluminum reciever so the drill won't wander when starting. You will want to have the drill against the casting as shown in the photo below. You will have just enough clearance when you break through the top of the casting to continue to the bottom of the casting to countersink.

DSC00764.jpg

When the bit goes through the first part of the reciever, continue through and countersink your hole about 1/4" more. This will allow a place for the roll pin to go into to support it better. This is a crappy photo, but I hope you get the idea!

DSC00765.jpg

When you have the FIRST hole drilled, you might want to drive in one roll pin far enough to stop the backrest, and then test fit the backrest to see if the hole is in the right spot. Once you insert the roll pins in all the way, you are pretty much committed to that position![/COLOR]

If you are happy with the pin placement, finish drilling the other hole, then drive in the roll pins until they are seated in the countersunk hole.

DSC00766.jpg

As you can hopefully see in the photo below, the roll pins prevent the backrest from going in any further.

DSC00768.jpg

Here is the amount of clearance I now have with the backrest fully installed.

DSC00772.jpg

I recently installed a Sargent seat with the backrest on my 08 A, and have been very happy with it except for one thing. The rubber bumper on the backrest meant to keep from scratching/ gouging the FJR's rack, will quickly rub enough to fall out, and then will really wreak havoc with the rail on the stock rack. The problem with the backrest is that there is not a POSOTIVE stop when you insert it. It will go all the way down until the rubber bumper contacts the rail on the rack, especially when it is in use by the passenger.I got to looking at it, and found a cheap relatively easy fix using steel roll pins that I finished this afternoon. I thought I would share it with the forum for guys that are getting this seat.

First, remove the back seat, and remove the reciever for the backrest. It is easier, and safer to work with it off the seat.

DSC00761-1.jpg

With the reciever off, inseert the backrest into the reciever until you feel a slight click. This is supposed to be how the backrest stops from going in any further. Make sure you are inserting the backrest as it will go when the reciever is mounted to the seat.

Then you want to measure where you want to drill the holes for the pins. You will need to get (2) 1/8"x1" spring steel roll pins.

DSC00763.jpg

Transpose this measurement to the outside of the reciever, and carefully mark. You will want to allow for the width of the drill bit when marking. A little lower is better than too high. Use an awl to centerpunch the aluminum reciever so the drill won't wander when starting. You will want to have the drill against the casting as shown in the photo below. You will have just enough clearance when you break through the top of the casting to continue to the bottom of the casting to countersink.

DSC00764.jpg

When the bit goes through the first part of the reciever, continue through and countersink your hole about 1/4" more. This will allow a place for the roll pin to go into to support it better. This is a crappy photo, but I hope you get the idea!

DSC00765.jpg

When you have the FIRST hole drilled, you might want to drive in one roll pin far enough to stop the backrest, and then test fit the backrest to see if the hole is in the right spot. Once you insert the roll pins in all the way, you are pretty much committed to that position![/COLOR]

If you are happy with the pin placement, finish drilling the other hole, then drive in the roll pins until they are seated in the countersunk hole.

DSC00766.jpg

As you can hopefully see in the photo below, the roll pins prevent the backrest from going in any further.

DSC00768.jpg

Here is the amount of clearance I now have with the backrest fully installed.

DSC00772.jpg

Is the backrest pretty tight . I have the world seat and am looking at buying the backrest but want to know that it secure and does not wobble.

Is the backrest solid or does it wobble. I have the same seat and thinking about buying the backrest.

Its been a while since I posted this, and I'm not sure what you mean by "wobble". It is not a bolt on backrest, so I guess it is not solid, but as far as any adverse effects, no I haven't noticed any. I don't leave it in all the time, just when the wifey wants to go for a ride. It works well as intended: a backrest. If you plan on strapping backrest bags like the cruisers do, then no, I would not recommend it. Hope this helps!