Sargent seat report.........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, somebody will probably chime in and say you could just buy a Russell and be done with it. Yeah............I know.
I understand. I don't care how wonderful it is, it's not for me. I'm just hopeful the Sargent will add some comfort to my wife.
I'm guessing you mean 'some comfort for my wife'?
smile.png

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Al.

Anyway, somebody will probably chime in and say you could just buy a Russell and be done with it. Yeah............I know.
I understand. I don't care how wonderful it is, it's not for me. I'm just hopeful the Sargent will add some comfort to my wife.
I'm guessing you mean 'some comfort for my wife'? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Al.
It's been a long winter for you hasn't it Al?

Thanks, thinking of going with the Corbin...
Don't give Corbin any of your money. I'm sure there are fans out there, but unhappy folks are way easier to find.
What don't you like about the Corbin?

I had a Corbin on my Kawi ZRX1200 and it extended my riding range by a couple hundred miles, nice firm seat.

When I first got it I thought it was too firm but a friend of mine had one and he told me to break it in with a few rides and you'll see that firm is better.....he was right!!

The best seat I ever had on a bike was a Corbin on a 1975 BMW. The one on the '88 K100 was less good (still better than stock), and didn't fit quite as well...and that was a BMW factory swap-out! I ordered one for a '95 RS, and it was gawdawful. Incredibly heavy, didn't fit (in fact I had to take it off to avoid damaging bodywork), with iffy workmanship. I gave it to my dealer to send back. Thank goodness I'd ordered it through them!

In the meantime, Corbin's customer service went from terrific to "take it or leave it," and their prices have vastly outpaced their competition. I know of happy SoCal folks who can go in for hands on modification, but if you're not close, they don't seem to care. Even their vending dealers have problems getting customer issues fixed. Too many other options out there to risk the dollars and the frustration. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best seat I ever had on a bike was a Corbin on a 1975 BMW. The one on the '88 K100 was less good (still better than stock), and didn't fit quite as well...and that was a BMW factory swap-out! I ordered one for a '95 RS, and it was gawdawful. Incredibly heavy, didn't fit (in fact I had to take it off to avoid damaging bodywork), with iffy workmanship. I gave it to my dealer to send back. Thank goodness I'd ordered it through them!
In the meantime, Corbin's customer service went from terrific to "take it or leave it," and their prices have vastly outpaced their competition. I know of happy SoCal folks who can go in for hands on modification, but if you're not close, they don't seem to care. Even their vending dealers have problems getting customer issues fixed. Too many other options out there to risk the dollars and the frustration. YMMV.
Ah I see.......true they are heavy seats, fit on mine was fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Forgot to mention before I bought the Corbin I borrowed a friends Sargent seat.....It was better than stock but I could ride further on the Corbin without getting Azz burn.

Japan seems to think seats that are like wooden blocks are best for us over here. They can do better, but for some reason as we've all gotten bigger over here, the seats have all gotten worse. Apparently this is due to the seat engineering section in Japan is populated by those who chow down on rice and think they're fat over 150lbs.............nothing else makes sense.

I now think back longingly to my Honda Shadow 1100 circa 1985. That seat was like a soft foamy pillow and was wonderful, you could ride all day and think you were on a couch. The stock seats on my Gen 1 FJR and 06 KLR had me in pain and agony after 45 minutes. Thank Cee Bailey and Airhawk for some relief.

Put me in with the Corbin haters..........hard as concrete.........I owned a Corbin received free with a Concours 1000 for exactly 48 hours after I tried it. The only good thing about Corbin is they are easy to sell to those who know the name, dumped mine for $150 to the first guy that saw it.

My ideal seat comes from the days of my youth on the farm. We had a large tree farm and a couple of tractors. You spend a lot of time on tractors, at least several days out of the year you go for ten hours or so at a time..........now picture a cast IRON seat with no padding you could spend all day on, and guess who made it. John Deere that's who. We had a large twin cylinder beast with pistons the size of buckets spinning a flywheel on the outside of the engine that had to weigh 200lbs. Loved that thing built in the late 40's early 50's..........all the seat makers could take a lesson from Deere..............

Japan seems to think seats that are like wooden blocks are best for us over here. They can do better, but for some reason as we've all gotten bigger over here, the seats have all gotten worse. Apparently this is due to the seat engineering section in Japan is populated by those who chow down on rice and think they're fat over 150lbs.............nothing else makes sense.
I now think back longingly to my Honda Shadow 1100 circa 1985. That seat was like a soft foamy pillow and was wonderful, you could ride all day and think you were on a couch. The stock seats on my Gen 1 FJR and 06 KLR had me in pain and agony after 45 minutes. Thank Cee Bailey and Airhawk for some relief.

Put me in with the Corbin haters..........hard as concrete.........I owned a Corbin received free with a Concours 1000 for exactly 48 hours after I tried it. The only good thing about Corbin is they are easy to sell to those who know the name, dumped mine for $150 to the first guy that saw it.

My ideal seat comes from the days of my youth on the farm. We had a large tree farm and a couple of tractors. You spend a lot of time on tractors, at least several days out of the year you go for ten hours or so at a time..........now picture a cast IRON seat with no padding you could spend all day on, and guess who made it. John Deere that's who. We had a large twin cylinder beast with pistons the size of buckets spinning a flywheel on the outside of the engine that had to weigh 200lbs. Loved that thing built in the late 40's early 50's..........all the seat makers could take a lesson from Deere..............
So.....why didn't you like the hard Corbin if you liked the hard John Deere seat??

For me anyway, the hard Corbin was better than the softer Sargent.

What is it with manufacturers anyway?

I even see the $30,000 Gold Wing riders changing their seats, why can't a manufacturer make a good seat??

Replaced my stock seats with Sargent and really love them. I also went and got the optional backrest for my wifes seat. One thing I did not like about the stock configuration of the Sargent is that the backrest simply "snaps" into the seat and I wasnt comfortable with that nor did I want the ability for someone to walk by and pull it out. First thing i did was drill through the backrest where the normal indent for the snap was (below the seat of course) and then I drilled and tapped the seat for a threaded wingnut. Now I put the backrest through the little port on the rear seat, tighten the wingnut and the backrest is nice and solid and cannot be removed. Let me know by PM if anyone wants a pic of what I did but pretty straight forward. I Got my seat used and there is a slight rip on one of the edges so I may send these back into the factory and have them update the seat and put in the electric butt heater while they are at it. They DO offer an upgrade kit to add the wired heating element into either or both seats if it didnt already come with it.

I went with the Corbin with a "nose job" and so far am very happy with it! It does not feel as hard as everyone says it is (?) and it got me a little lower (what a wide bike)! Oh and yes, it does fill in the space against the tank nicely.

I've been tempted to try the nose job version of the Corbin. I have a Sargent now and it's much better than stock, but not quite there. I can't go with a custom seat with wings and internal suspention system as they add precious height...I'm already on my toes at stops.

Japan seems to think seats that are like wooden blocks are best for us over here. They can do better, but for some reason as we've all gotten bigger over here, the seats have all gotten worse. Apparently this is due to the seat engineering section in Japan is populated by those who chow down on rice and think they're fat over 150lbs.............
I like rice...

Here's a question for ya: When we talk about the Sergeant, are we talking about the same exact seat? I've noticed that Corbin, for example, makes more than one seat configuration for the FJR. Here's a pic of my old Corbin and my new (to me) Sergeant for my Gen 1.

CIMG1191.jpg

I actually found the Sargeant seat a little stiff for my back side, so I took off most of the staples, and drilled half way up (every square inch in a grid pattern) with a 3/4 inch hole saw and pulled the cut foam out. You can not tell what I did from looking at the installed seat (there is still about 1 inch of foam towards the fabric), but it is nicer on long runs. I have never been able to use a Corbin for longer than 100 miles on two other bikes I had it on, but I think that depends on your weight. Most of the people on my sportbike forum that are heavy, love the Corbin. I am not in that camp.

I actually found the Sargeant seat a little stiff for my back side, so I took off most of the staples, and drilled half way up (every square inch in a grid pattern) with a 3/4 inch hole saw and pulled the cut foam out. You can not tell what I did from looking at the installed seat (there is still about 1 inch of foam towards the fabric), but it is nicer on long runs. I have never been able to use a Corbin for longer than 100 miles on two other bikes I had it on, but I think that depends on your weight. Most of the people on my sportbike forum that are heavy, love the Corbin. I am not in that camp.
Hmmm... Interesting solution. I found that when I installed my MV Motorrad riser, since it allowed me to sit more upright, my butt fit the bucket part of my Sargent better and it became more comfortable. I'll still pick up an Airhawk 2 though for really long days.

I just received my genII Sargent seat yesterday. I've only put on 50 miles for far, but I can tell it is going to be a lot better than the stock seat. I really like that the Sargent keeps me on the back of the seat. I would always end up too far forward on the stock seat and the position would put my knees uncomfortably close to the hot frame.

I ended up paying $429.95 for the front and back seat. I thought I had found a good deal when I ordered the seat from oemcycle.com for $454.86. But, they kept pushing the expected ETA back, so I cancelled my order. Then, I found it for $429.95 at powersportjunkie.com. I emailed them to see if it was in stock. Even though it appears to be in stock on their website, it wasn't. I didn't really want to order from them anyways. Everyday their "sale" price is about to end, but everyday it is the same price. I don't want to give my business to a company that does that.

I found that rockymountainatvmc.com had the seat for $494.99. They only had one left in stock. They did a price match for $429.95. I ordered on Friday and received my seat yesterday (the following Tuesday). Ive had good luck ordering from them in the past and they didn't disappoint this time.