Sargent seat time

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered the drivers section today. Was delving in the library and in my Jan 08 issue of Rider they had a seat buyers guide section. Said nice things about all but when they came to Sargent, and I quote, they stated this is the only company in the roundup that is focusing on sport and sport touring bikes so the company pays a bit more attention to how riding dynamics affect seating. For example the base pan follows the contour of the frame but also levels the riding platform to minimize forward slide into the tank during braking, they also widen the seat(compared to stock) and give it a dished contour for more lateral support. Man said I can ride it for 30 days and if I do not like it I can send it back.

I have a Sargent seat and I'm quite happy with it. I think you've made a good choice, and with their return policy, you can't lose.

I put 89,000 miles on a Sargent seat on my VFR. Buddy has 45,000 on his Sargent. These things don't wear out, and at least on the VFR, are much better than stock, or even the competition.

Just one thing .. the GripTex covering will not Grip a Roadcrafter.

They let me take one off the display for a weeks vacation to try it before they made me one. I'm a multi repeat customer though :rolleyes:

The extra width they put in makes huge difference in comfort but be warned that the extra width changes your legs reach to the ground significantly and you can loose your balance if not careful especially on a loose gravel road :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Sargent on my VFR and did not like it. I sent it back and had no problems. While I did not like the seat I did like their customer service. Good people over there.

After my 10K trip out west my seat felt better. It broke in slow for me, I've had custom seats on every bike I've owned and they all took time. I loved my original Saddleman on my Honda ST11, that was an off the shelf leather seat that fit me perfect. Since then I've been in custom hell and so I tried the Sargent for a change. What do I know.... The of the shelf $300 or so seat works fine. I like the Carbon FX, its a tight basket weave and I don't slide around on it. I like the fact it holds less water or morning dew than the custom winged seats I've had/seen.

....base pan follows the contour of the frame but also levels the riding platform to minimize forward slide into the tank during braking, they also widen the seat(compared to stock) and give it a dished contour for more lateral support. Man said I can ride it for 30 days and if I do not like it I can send it back.
I decided to try a Sargent after about 4K on the stock seat. It is a good bit better but not perfect IMHO; and everything above is correct. I especially noticed the levelling of the seat, and with the dished contour it really seemed to throw my riding position to the back of the seat. It felt strange at first but I've adjusted to it now. As for keeping you off the tank during braking.......ummmmm, that's up to you :rolleyes: . I've also added a set of beads which seem to also help me make it through 10-12 hour days a little better.

Hope you got the silver bead trim as I think that has a very good look.....especially on an `08!

They let me take one off the display for a weeks vacation to try it before they made me one. I'm a multi repeat customer though :rolleyes:
The extra width they put in makes huge difference in comfort but be warned that the extra width changes your legs reach to the ground significantly and you can loose your balance if not careful especially on a loose gravel road :blink:

Interesting, I felt that the more 'sloped' thigh area of the seat made an easier reach to the ground.

That is the sorting of thing that you need to try out, of course, as everyone is different, different length legs are going to have your thighs hitting a different spot, some of us sit further forward or further back...