Sargent seat vs. Russell vs. stock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack

Reaction score
Only had my '05 a month and I'm prioritizing the farkles. I have a new Sargent on an ST1100 Honda and my Wife and I really like it. No experience with a Russell and so far I have not found the stock seat objectionable, although no rides beyond 50 miles.

I plan on doing all kinds of riding from around town to trips to Colorado and Arkansas on the FJR and would appreciate any feedback on preferences, opinions, suggestions etc. between the three seats. If I could get by with the stock seat, I'd much rather direct that $ to an McCruise control.

Thanks,

Jack.

Only had my '05 a month and I'm prioritizing the farkles. I have a new Sargent on an ST1100 Honda and my Wife and I really like it. No experience with a Russell and so far I have not found the stock seat objectionable, although no rides beyond 50 miles. I plan on doing all kinds of riding from around town to trips to Colorado and Arkansas on the FJR and would appreciate any feedback on preferences, opinions, suggestions etc. between the three seats. If I could get by with the stock seat, I'd much rather direct that $ to an McCruise control.

Thanks,

Jack.
Welcome to the forum...

Have you checked the forum threads? It seems like there has been alot of chatter lately about seats -including a group buy.

That's what a love about this site, a new guy comes on requesting input and immediately he's referred to the search engine, it's almost like, don't bother, it's already been discussed, move along please. :big_boss:

I couldn't get along with my stock seat and turned it over to Russell, https://www.day-long.com/. I couldn't live with my windshield either and went with a Rifle, https://www.rifle.com/. I'm very happy with my additions.

Enjoy your new ride. :smile2:

That's what a love about this site, a new guy comes on requesting input and immediately he's referred to the search engine, it's almost like, don't bother, it's already been discussed, move along please. :big_boss:

Yeah, welcome aboard. You just got the Classic FNG treatment. Don't ask questions until you've used the search engine. There a lot of much more important discussions going on here! :rolleyes:

There's a lot of quick dog piles around here for sure. Just smile about it . It's mostly in good fun. At least you didn't post the outcome of a MotoGP, Superbike, etc race!

I had both the Sargent and Russell. My advice is save the bucks and go for the Russell. It will serve better in the long run.

What are the dates for your Arkansas trip?

Sargeant = One Size Fits All kind of seat, though I have heard good things about it.

Russell = Truly Custom Seat.

There's no comparison in my book. Don't forget about a Bill Mayer Saddle either.

And there's always the Airhawk cushion.

I'd much rather direct that $ to an McCruise control.

Take a look at the Audiovox CC100, lots of people have installed them, and it's substantially cheaper than the McCruise unit,

Use the dollars you save and get the Russel.

My stock seat is just fine! I've done 12000 miles this year and an Iron Butt with no butt issues. I'll spend my pennies on gas for riding and the entry fee for NAFO "Ouch"! $310.00 for 2 T-shirts, 2 dinners and I didn't even get a baloon! :dribble:

I couldn't get along with my stock seat and turned it over to Russell, https://www.day-long.com/. I couldn't live with my windshield either and went with a Rifle, https://www.rifle.com/. I'm very happy with my additions.

Sorry, I should have used Search and will be more aggressive with it in the future. In my defense, I was aware of this and other topics being extensively discussed, but was looking for a snapshot comparison of, in this case, the three different seats.

Jack.

Sorry if you think I was jumping on anybody...I don't. There's lots of stuff on the board...jes letting him know that.

It's kind of like a library...search the shelves or card catalog. 'Course others were far more helpful than me. :)

Never tried the Sargent, but there is a day and night difference between my Russell and the stock seat. IMHO the Russell was worth the investment.

I am like you, I sometimes would like the reader’s digest version of a subject and skip all the BS post (85 of the 167 etc.) that derail so many post here.

Don’t take the dog pile thing personal….. everyone seems to be fair game from time to time….but generally no harm intended……

I've had either a Corbin or Sargent on all of my previous bikes and preferred the Sargent. I bought a Sargent for my FJR and liked it much better than the stock. I then rode a friends FJR with a Russell and sold my Sargent on this forum the next day and ordered a Russell. The Russell is wider, thicker, better padded. Those "wings" really support your "butt bones". It feels kind of odd/wierd at first but its all day comfortable and you get used to it quickly.

It will be nothing but a Russell for me from now on.

Oh yeah, order the half moon design, it looks better.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what a love about this site, a new guy comes on requesting input and immediately he's referred to the search engine, it's almost like, don't bother, it's already been discussed, move along please.
Yeah, welcome aboard. You just got the Classic FNG treatment. Don't ask questions until you've used the search engine. There a lot of much more important discussions going on here! :rolleyes: There's a lot of quick dog piles around here for sure. Just smile about it . It's mostly in good fun.
Sorry, .... ... but was looking for a snapshot comparison of, in this case, the three different seats. Jack.
I am like you, I sometimes would like the reader’s digest version of a subject and skip all the BS post (85 of the 167 etc.) that derail so many post here. Don’t take the dog pile thing personal….. everyone seems to be fair game from time to time….but generally no harm intended……
Voices of reason? Of course, the answer probably lies somewhere between the extremes.

Um, the stock seat is really pretty good I think, but after a 3 or 4 hundred mile stretch, by pretty durable behind starts talking. Gonna try the Bill Mayer I think. Those Russells are just too damn big. But then, I'm not an IBA type. I just enjoy riding around and going places, and I stop all the time.

Congrats on the new to you '05. Welcome to the forum Jack. Hey, isn't there supposed to be some good barbeque in KC?

Latest posts