Sargent Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mine for about 800 miles and I think it's still breaking in, or it's breaking me in. It's definitely better than stock, but I find that it has an uncomfortable ridge right where the cheeks meet the thighs. I didn't seem to notice it the last ride, so hopefully it's just part of the break-in process. I've made a ride-in appointment for a Russell just in case though!

Cheers!

I tried a Sargent for a 6500 mile ride from AZ to VA and back, unfortunately wasn't much better than stock and sold it right after the trip. I was moving around after 100-150 miles, but a Aerostich sheep skin cover helped a lot. I now ride a Rick Mayer seat, much better and about the same $ as I recall. Go for a ride in appt. if you can swing it. My .02

I bought a set of Sargent seats from another guy on the Forum and they came today. They installed quickly, just like the stock seats. I could see when I unpacked the box that the Sargent stuff is more "tractor" like, with better support for the periphery of the butt, and a better match between the rider and pillion.

I put a bit over 1000 miles on the stock seat, and I thought it was breaking in in the right direction at first, but eventually it became clear that it was not going to be very comfortable after about 100 miles. I like to do loop rides, avoiding I-40, but I was finding that I would get out to the extreme point on a loop, and then I would begin trying to figure out how to hit I-40 as fast as possible so that I could high tail it home and relieve my butt.

I got on the Sargent at 1:30 pm today, and rode for 4 hours with two brief stops for hydration. The Sargent was a bit uncomfortable at the start, but by the 50 mile mark it was feeling better and better. I was not tempted to search for a path back to I-40, and at the end of the ride, I felt like I could get back on and do another 4 hours without much trouble.

I generally like Corbin seats pretty well (although not always), and the two most comfortable seats I've had in the past were both Corbins...one on an ST1100, and one on a V-Strom 1000. At the end of today's ride, I felt like the Sargent on the FJR was going to be at least as comfortable as the Corbin on the ST1100 was. Maybe not as comfortable as the Corbin on the V-Strom, but quite good nonetheless.

Usually these seats get better with use, so I'm optimistic that the Sargent will be a good solution for my longer ride aspirations on the FJR. One minor gripe is that the backrest took a ding out of the paint on my tail frame. Gotta get some touch up paint, and mount the backrest in one of its positive stops more securely. I see now that there are some screws for this purpose built into the pillion seat, so it was my bad that this happened. Maybe I ought to see if the tail box mounting rack recall is still in play.

You asked for opinions, so here's mine.

Why pay nearly the price of a custom seat for an off-the-shelf designed to a different "average rider" than the OEM one? Spend a couple of bucks more and get a truly custom seat that's built to your needs.

It's kinda funny but I really liked my Sargent when I first got it. My first couple of long rides were heaven compared to the OEM seat. However, I've recently lost 30 pounds and I guess some of that must have come off my ass because the Sargent didn't work nearly as well on my last 1000 mile weekend. I'm considering alternatives now.

I sent my stock seat to them, had it lowered, narrowed, super cell foam upgrade and finished with the carbon FX cover. I really don't notice any change in the ride height, the seat is comfortable, a little softer than the Corbin I had on my FJ1100. Better price than a new seat from them.