Satelite Radio what's the best way to go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I wouldn't mind being washed up with 500 million in my bank account. :****:
And having the lovely Beth O sitting at home waiting for him ain't to shabby neither

But with his new gig and being darn near completely unrestrained, his schtick ain't working for me anymore. He definitely lost something in the move.
ditto

it really does come down to programming.

here is why I use Sirius:

1. NFL football - I can follow the Colts every game. Nice feature is when listening to games you can listen to either teams' home broadcast - kinda fun.

2. Sirius Left channel - left wing talk shows better than Air America

3. Sirius Vault - classic rock

4. Sirius Classic rocck - more of the same

5. Sirius Buzz saw - heavy metal

6. Sirius Jam On -- long jam bands - Dead - Phish - Alman Bros. etc.

7. college football and basketball. Not as extensive of coverage as NFL - but U of Tennessee is usually on there so I can listen to the Vols over their network.

don't think much of the traffic reports on either of them. - they are typically too far behind.

What I found with XM is that I would be listening to music around the same times... like on a commute home and they would be either playing a loop or something as I would hear the same song every day sometime around the same time. Rarely happens with Sirius

They also play more Zappa than anyone else - more pink floyd (ok... that is a negative for me) and Lee Michaels !!! you NEVER hear Lee Michaels hardly ANYWHERE.

+1 on Sirius. Really love mine.

The programming can sometimes be close, but Sirius has killer classic blues, deep cut classic rock, multiple metal channels, etc. I've listened for days at work without any (or very many) repeats on The Vault. Plays a good ly amount of The Dead, The Doors, etc. which is something treasured by those who spent years looking for that air play.

On top of that they offer a lifetime subscription so you pay once and that lasts through the lifetime of 4 receivers (good only through the end of July)! No extra fees for premium channels either!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the Garmin 2730. Hopefully will activate the XM tomorrow. I have a decent ride for Sunday planned. I hope to check it out.

I would like to have some tunes on my ride to work and have been thinking of getting a satellite radio. I have never had one and am unsure which way to go. XM or Sirrus? Ear buds or speakers? I would like to have as little wires to deal with as possible just to keep it clean. Is anyone producing a motorcycle specific kit? Or should I just buy an iPOD?Thanks

Chris G
I use an XM-2-GO unit on my bikes/boat/truck/by the pool. You can use it anywhere and moving it from one vehicle to another is as simple as pluging in the remote antenna. You can power it via 12V DC or use the battery option. It comes standard with ear phones or plays directly thru your radio with it's built in FM transceiver. It also will record and playback 5.5 hours of airtime.