Satellite Tracking?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsy

667 - Neighbour of the Beast
Reaction score
During the Iron Butt Rally we were able to ride along 'in spirit' with the help of satellite tracking devices on some bikes. Is such a thing available for individual use? At the time I showed this to my wife she thought it would be nice if she could track me on my travels.

Hmmm...now that I think about it, is that such a good idea? Just kidding.

So does anyone know of such a thing?

gypsy

What a DEAL...only 700 bux plus $10/month subscription, and you get 30, count 'em, 30 FREE position reports a month!!! :blink:

You could always get a Technician Class ham radio license and look into putting an APRS rig on your bike. You might not save much on the radio part of the deal but you could send an infinite number of free updates. Also, its land rather than satellite based as far as sending the position updates so coverage isn't universal but it is free to use.

APRS.net

Navy APRS site

Windows APRS.

Kenwood TH-D7AG portable transceiver

Cheers,

Jim

:ph34r: I'm not sure of the product name but the Harley people sell a security system with a satellite positioning device. It will help if the bike is stolen and also if you wreck out in the boonies by yourself someone will know where you're at. Hope this helped. Painman. <><

During the Iron Butt Rally we were able to ride along 'in spirit' with the help of satellite tracking devices on some bikes. Is such a thing available for individual use? At the time I showed this to my wife she thought it would be nice if she could track me on my travels.
Here's a link to DIY GPS tracking using $80 no-contract Nextel GPS enabled phones. Lots of people playing with this...

@JimV

Greetings from Belgium Europe, I also have APRS on my bike, along with a Kenwood TM-V7 which is mounted in the back, the display in front.

ON5AAW

(ocean nancy five america america whiskey)

Here's a link to DIY GPS tracking using $80 no-contract Nextel GPS enabled phones. Lots of people playing with this...
According to the info in this blog you can get a no contract Nextel GPS phone for $80, but that was news the guy at the Nextel store.

Anyone seen anything more on this?

It looks like there is plenty of free software to track you location but I'm not interested in getting out of my two year Verizon contract.