Saw a concourse that has my brain all mixed up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
Well, first off, let me state that for me it was between the concourse and the FJR when I was looking to purchase, I just happened to find a very well priced used FJR before finding a well priced used concourse first.

So today my woman and I do a little shopping as we both need new motorcycle boots. We're not really picky on what we get, so long as they cover the ankle, are supportive, and are easy on/off in case we want to change shoes when we get to our destination of the day. So we cruise to a local Harley dealership. Those harley stealth boots are pretty darn nice. They looked good, but I digress...

Inside, I see a beautiful concourse. 2008, 2800 miles, full corbin setup. I mean rider and passenger, leather, heated seats. Also the new concourse rear luggage rack (72 liters that looks like it's STOCK! lines match, color matches, and built in LED brake lights...).

Not to mention I liked the concourse to begin with. And for my riding (mostly 2-up, not very spirited, just enjoying the curves when I get to them and a good amount of highway miles as my wife and I like to travel long distances), the concourse would be more than adequate with it's sixth speed....

Sigh. I'm all torn up inside. I know I'm gonna keep the FJR, cause as of now, I don't own it yet (still owe on it, although I definitely have equity), and I don't want any other loans and can't pay cash. But it certainly struck a chord with me as I looked at it. Sigh....

I'll wait a few years, and see what my options are. FJR works awesome, but man that concourse was put together and looked pretty....

Alexi

In 2800 miles he figgered out it ain't worth poop....
Take a deep breath and walk away....
lol. GREAT answer. But it sure looked pretty.....
Maybe I'll save up some dough and give the FJR a makeover in a few years. A fresh coat of paint, some new matching covers for the seats, a 'rebirth'.

I recommend waiting a couple yrs when you can get the new generation (2010 model) used at a decent price. I briefly looked at the Concours but they looked like a beast compared to the FJR and I was able to pick my '07 FJR up at very good price including a few nice farkles.

Alexi......at 2799 miles he lost his fobs........pushed it into the dealer.....and there ya go.......... :unsure:

I'd hate to have to work on one o' them things. A guy used to be around here got one, only kept it 6 months. Changing spark plugs was a day's work.

And the 6-speed isn't that big a deal. What people don't catch in the comparison is that the top gears on each bike ain't that far apart. The Connie's ratios are closer than the FJR's but you have to shift more. The Feej doesn't exactly bog down on any shift, so what's the point?

More ratios serve two purposes. First, peaky motors can be screamed to their HP peaks and kept there in a wider range of road speeds. Second, and slightly less useful, folks can say "Mine's better than yours 'cause it's a 6-speed." There's no reason an engine with a broad torque curve needs to be forced to shift more often.

Lastly, the mirrors on the Connies suck raw eggs. They're way too low to be useful - bags occupy most of the view.

Otherwise, great bike. I'd keep it if someone gave me one. At least through the first plug change interval.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hate to have to work on one o' them things. A guy used to be around here got one, only kept it 6 months. Changing spark plugs was a day's work.
And the 6-speed isn't that big a deal. What people don't catch in the comparison is that the top gears on each bike ain't that far apart. The Connie's ratios are closer than the FJR's but you have to shift more. The Feej doesn't exactly bog down on any shift, so what's the point?

More ratios serve two purposes. First, peaky motors can be screamed to their HP peaks and kept there in a wider range of road speeds. Second, and slightly less useful, folks can say "Mine's better than yours 'cause it's a 6-speed." There's no reason an engine with a broad torque curve needs to be forced to shift more often.

Lastly, the mirrors on the Connies suck raw eggs. They're way too low to be useful - bags occupy most of the view.

Otherwise, great bike. I'd keep it if someone gave me one. At least through the first plug change interval.
I do believe just changing the oil requires plastic removal and is well over an hour job after learning how the first time which is longer. :blink:

I hate removing panels as the top one on Isabella, well, have a few wires under there which need to be just so.

And nobody dark sides Connies, so there. Well, maybe it's because those guys still have their balls, I don't know. :rolleyes:

This past December we rented a '07 Connie and rode it for a month in NZ. We liked the bike, but it's not an FJR. The biggest complaint was the lack of low down grunt that we get from the FJR. Now the Connie makes lots of hp, but you have to rev it to get the hp unlike the FJR. The bike is comfortable and loves to go in a straight line....doesn't care to turn that much. Stock seats are better than the FJR, but you want to get off after a couple of hours. I'd rate the bike as honest. If it was my money I'd wait for a used '10.

I do believe just changing the oil requires plastic removal and is well over an hour job after learning how the first time which is longer. :blink:
I have a 08 C14 I bought new in 11/07 and my impressions are:

1. Changing the spark plugs at 7500 miles is a waste of time and money, just wait until the valve adjustment to do it.

2. The 6th speed overdrive is geared too high, I prefer the FJR's 5th gear (which is in between the C14's 5th and 6th).

3. The C14's mirrors are great when the bags are off (which is the way I ride 90 percent of the time) and they are not that bad when the bags are on. I can see the tops of the bags and there is plenty of mirror left to see everything else.

4. I have never removed any plastic when I changed the oil and filter.

5. If you want more low end torque, a GiPro TRE is an easy solution and can be turned off in low traction conditions.

6. The C14's gas mileage and range isn't nearly good as the FJR.

7. The 2010 model's improvements are overrated. The may have improved heat management but the rest is bells and whistles. It still has exactly the same engine, transmission, and suspension (the fork still needs compression damping adjustment and the rear shock is still very oversprung for a solo rider).

If I want to ride any distance I will take the FJR, especially in the summer. If I want to ride around town, I will take the FJR, especially in the summer. If I had to sell one bike, it would NOT be the FJR, especially in the summer.

C14 muffler looks like Gonzo's nose..Bike itself looks like Oprah........FJR looks like Megan Fox

C14 muffler looks like Gonzo's nose..Bike itself looks like Oprah........FJR looks like Megan Fox
Can't agree with that assessment....

The FJR is Kate Beckinsale

kate_beckinsale_gallery_10.jpg

The R1 is Megan Fox

megan-fox.jpg

The FJR will make you happy on long rides...requires much less maintenance...is more mature....and won't kill you if you're too heavy-handed ike an R1 will. :rofl:

Can't agree with that assessment....

The FJR is Kate Beckinsale

kate_beckinsale_gallery_10.jpg

The R1 is Megan Fox

megan-fox.jpg

The FJR will make you happy on long rides...requires much less maintenance...is more mature....and won't kill you if you're too heavy-handed ike an R1 will. :rofl:

Yeah...But what a way to go!!

I also like the looks of the c14 however the heat issues worried me but they have addresed that for 2010. I also like the BMW 1300s a lot and came very close to buying one. Also rode the Triumph Sprint it is also a fun bike and much lighter. If i were buying now i would lean heavily towards the BMW but all of the fore mentioned machines would again be candidates and might still end up with the FJR it is a very good machine.

Man! I want an R1 bad! Just can't afford the maintenance.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

The R1 is Megan Fox

megan-fox.jpg

The thing that I noticed about the Concours vs he FJR is that the Concours feels like it's built cheaper. It's not the overall build, but the small things like the glove compartment door and spring. Small things like that. I'm sure once you own a Concours, you don't mind those things. But as an FJR owner, you do notice them when you just come up on a Concours in a store.

The thing that I noticed about the Concours vs he FJR is that the Concours feels like it's built cheaper. It's not the overall build, but the small things like the glove compartment door and spring. Small things like that. I'm sure once you own a Concours, you don't mind those things. But as an FJR owner, you do notice them when you just come up on a Concours in a store.
That is exactly what pushed me over the fence to the FJR. Of course, the mirrors didn't help. And the pegs are slightly more forward...exactly where I wanted to put my legs when stopped.

I recommend waiting a couple yrs when you can get the new generation (2010 model) used at a decent price.
Agreed! The 2010 Concours is very nice.

As far as older ones go, duding them all up with farkles is like putting lipstick on a pig.