Sawtooth Mts.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg97224

Reaction score
I am thinking about riding from Mountain Home Id through the Sawtooths on up to Mizzoula. For those of you that have been on those roads, how are they. I would think it would be a fairly slow ride with all of the motor homes. I think it is around 400 miles.

Thanks, Greg

we drove our motorhome from missoula down to the sawtooths and then west toward washington last july. traffic was light enough that you won't have any problems. outstanding scenery, you will have a great time. people are friendly, prices reasonable for food, drinks and lodging.

I've come south from Missoula on 93 and 75 to Stanley and then down 21 through Idaho City to Boise in '09. Road's great and beautiful scenery abounds, but the part on 93 and 75 was probably the better part of that day's ride. Next time I'm up that way, I'll have to ride 75 through Ketchum to Stanley before continuing on to Lolo and Missoula. Loved Stanley and most everything north of it -- would love to head up there on the bike with a tent, a fishing pole and a license for a more leisurely few days. Saw some great places I'd like to hang out and do some fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure and do the Beartooth scenic byway...

11 thousand feet elevation, and a nicely maintained road, with unbelievable views.

Lookup Red Logde MT, north east of Yellowstone. I did the ride in mid June, and there was a ton of snow, they still had a chairlift operating at the summit.

Take a look at Road to the Sun in Glacier National Park, I tried it on the 4th of July, but it was still closed due to snow.

It's all good in the Rockies.

If you like twisty roads, take HWY 21 from just south of Boise to Stanley. Stanley is right where you have the best views of the Sawtooths. Just 5 miles or so south of Stanley is Redfish Lake, right off the highway a few miles. HWY 21 is about the twistiest road I've ever been on.

The faster, easier route is over on the 20 going east then north through San Valley (Bellevue, Hailey, Ketchum). North of Sun Valley on the 75 the ride is great, going over Galena pass, then into Stanley.

From Stanley, going north on the 93 all the way up is excellent. Follow the salmon river, great riding until about Hamilton MT where then it's just a fairly populated corridor to Mizz, MT.

I wouldn't worry too much about motorhomes, etc. It's nothing like Yellowstone/Teton area as far as traffic.

Rode south from Missoula on 93 and through Stanley on 75 first week in June of this year. Excellent road and a memorable ride. I was through quite early in the day on highway 75 (left Salmon. ID 6ish am) and traffic was extremely light.

The only negative that I can think of was the extensive road construction with quite a lot of gravel sections south of Missoula down through to Hamilton.

I was there last week., nice ride. Never saw a motorhome's rear end for long. You do know that with an FJR that the right hand can put slow moving vehicles behind you in about 3-4 seconds in third gear, 4-5 seconds in 4th gear and maybe 5.5 seconds in 5th gear. Please note that slow moving vehicles keep you awake because you have to pass them, its part of the FJR code. ;)

We ran into 30-40 car, trucks and motorhomes along Hwy 20 after coming from Stanley, Sweet. :yahoo:

I did Ontairo, all the way to hamilton ( see my topic this section )on most of the roads you speak of. Traffic is light with plenty of places to pass slow traffic. Go for it.