Sawzall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BkrK12

Reaction score
Does anyone in the southern NH area have a sawzall I could borrow for about an hour. I'd really like to go out and buy myself one, but I've managed to get by without one for 67 years and hate to spnd $100 - $150 to cut two bolts. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Using a hacksaw under the bike to get at the two front Center Stand bolts is not my idea of a good time. It looks like I might be able to get an el-cheapo for about #50 - $60. That should be good to cut the two bolts and if it burns up, I'll just wait another 67 years to buy a new one.

If you're going to get something, try a dremmel with the abrasive cutting wheels. They do a hell of a job and you can use a dremmel for a heck of a lot of stuff! Sawzalls are handy too, but if you haven't used one in 67 years, sounds like you can do without. Those little abrasive cutters work wonders!

I've got one that I can loan to you, but it will be this weekend before I can get to it. In the mean time, give a local rental place a call and see what it would cost to rent one with a metal cutting blade. I'm betting <$15 for an hour. Drop me a PM if you can wait to Saturday.

Lots of places rent tools, too, but the dremel/angle grinder idea sounds better anyway. If a hacksaw under the bike doesn't sound like fun, I'm pretty sure manhandling a sawzall at an awkward angle like that isn't much better.

If all else fails, you're welcome to come borrow my sawzall. :)

Branch # 288

660 GOLD STREET

MANCHESTER, NH 03103-4005

1/2 day rental -- $8.00 You can probably find one in Hooksett for this same price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of places rent tools, too, but the dremel/angle grinder idea sounds better anyway. If a hacksaw under the bike doesn't sound like fun, I'm pretty sure manhandling a sawzall at an awkward angle like that isn't much better.If all else fails, you're welcome to come borrow my sawzall. :)

Thanks for the reply. Using a hacksaw under the bike to get at the two front Center Stand bolts is not my idea of a good time. It looks like I might be able to get an el-cheapo for about #50 - $60. That should be good to cut the two bolts and if it burns up, I'll just wait another 67 years to buy a new one.
After you borrow SacMikes sawzall, you can cut both our bolts too! :p

Another thought. Something like this. ($3.46 on Amazon.) Probly costs more than that to ship tho.

31HJHFxqQ2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought. Something like this. ($3.46 on Amazon.) Probly costs more than that to ship tho.

31HJHFxqQ2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Those are available everywhere, no problem finding one. Using one? Dan would have a exercise a couple of weeks to build up the strength needed to cut through the bolts
jerkoff.gif

Dan may want to talk with Fred W that managed to pry and maneuver stuff out of the way and didn't need to cut anything.

Thanks for the replies. I have the dremel and the hacksaw blade handle. My luck with cutting 8.8 bolts with a dremel has not been really good. At this point, the rental center sounds like a good idea. There's a Home Depot center about 4 miles from me. I'll get to it sometime over the next few days/weeks - when the temp in the garage gets above 30.

An air driven die grinder with a 4inch thin cutoff wheel attached makes quick work of those bolts! :yahoo: But this may be another tool you've gone 60 years without and might not use again?

Check out angle grinders at Harbor Freight. You can get pneumatic or electric for between $15 and $25. It is the right tool for the job. I have never seen anyone saw off a bolt. You use a welding torch cutter or grinder.

Thanks for the replies. I have the dremel and the hacksaw blade handle. My luck with cutting 8.8 bolts with a dremel has not been really good. At this point, the rental center sounds like a good idea. There's a Home Depot center about 4 miles from me. I'll get to it sometime over the next few days/weeks - when the temp in the garage gets above 30.

You may not have much better luck cutting 8.8 bolts (Is that grade five? or eight?) with a toothed blade. A disk of some type still sounds like a better plan if you can get it where you need to.

-Don

Was checking under there today (the center stand) and I'm pretty sure you can't get a grinding wheel up where you need it without taking lots of other things off the bike and, of course, if I did that I could get a wrench on the offending bolts pretty easily. I managed to get my hands on a one hand reciprocating saw with a really good quality metal blade and will probably give that a try tomorrow.