Say No to YES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I paid the $390 for the extra 4 years and let me tell you about my FIRST need of it!

My bike has been getting a SH__26 error code off/on for the last several months and the initial fix was suppose to be to "bleed the clutch".

Any how, the error code came back and the mechanic found the system wasn't bleeding properly.

Yamaha told him to replace the part (I haven't seen what the part is yet), but I was told just the cost of the part is $1400 + labor!

My bike is a 2006 FJR1300AE and I am GLAD I have the extended warranty!

Best Regards,

Shane

Here's why you buy YES on a new FJR, even if you intend to never step foot into a dealership again.

Resale value. The YES warranty is a $400 expense up front that is worth ~800- $1000 if you resell the bike before the end of the warranty.

Consider it from the vantage point of a used bike buyer, looking at a 2-3 year old bike. You have no idea what nasty gremlins lurk in a used bike, but if there is a transferable manufacturer's warranty, it doesn't matter nearly as much.

And if you keep the bike, the ease of mind that you have gained over the period of the warranty is easily worth $400. Or if you have had anything fixed under warranty, well... you're way ahead of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having the AE and not knowing the life of the clutchless transmission, it was a no brainer for me. As stated before in this thread, it was "insurance" for me and my bike and the unkown....

Well, I never used the $389 48 Month YES extended warranty I bought in late August '04. I think the consumer experts are right -- don't buy extended warranties. This is my first motorcycle in 25 years so I was a bit risk averse. I didn't know how well they are designed and put together. My FJR has been in a shop one time -- replace the recalled TPS.
I should have known better when Jerold at D&H raised his eyebrows when I asked about YES. It was fairly obvious, he wouldn't buy it for his bike. Though he and Renaa were happy to make a few bucks from each YES sale.

I got the impression that the vast majority of his YES customers are FJR owners.

Yamaha needs to bring their warranty in line with the competition -- 3 years for the Concours 1400 and the Honda ST1300.

Maybe I learned enough about FJR maintenance from this forum to offset my YES expenditure. I've done all my maintenance for 39K miles except replace the TPS.
Those same thoughts ran through my head. I was worried about the "ticking" but nothing ever panned out on my bike.

Oh well.