SCAB DOWN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scab

I got nothin' here...
Reaction score
Yes, I bit the dust today. Somewhere in the mountains of north Georgia. We (me, jwilly, fjrfencer, jeffashe, extrememarine) were tormenting the mountain natives on our brisk little December excursion. It was 14 degrees when I left the house this morning. Sheeesh. Who thought of this dumbass ride? Oh, yeah, FENCER! Anyhoo, we had just recently changed the lineup and somebody (jwilly) let jeffashe lead. Who, by the way, can ride the living piss out of an FJR. Being second in the lineup, and not wanting to hold up the other three, and being short on sense, I pushed a little harder than I should have. I over-cooked a right-hander, locked the rear, lost focus of the curve, FIXATED on the ditch dead ahead, and promptly planted my ass in it. No where in this story did I remember to just RIDE THE BIKE. Oh well, shit happened.

Damage to the bike is extremely minimal. Bent my homemade highway peg/skidder, wadded up my right side homemade 'jewel-cool' wind deflector, and picked up a few minor scratches. Me? I am fine. jwilly had to pick the beast up off of me, as it had my right foot pinned underneath by means of the right rear peg.

The guys were great. They were right there and on top of it.

[SIZE=36pt]THANKS, GUYS![/SIZE]

That's it. I screwed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank Goodness you will only feel banged up! No white formal plaster, no tape & gaze! Now learn from it. If you feel your holding them up wave them by in a Ok spot. I think myself, I am not riding the piss out of anything at 14 degrees, let alone a MC, let alone a MC with high torque and 125 rw hp. I might pick my spots though with 4 wheels. I know thats my CS old azz. Repairable you came out ahead! TJ

I have been on a glacier here in W Washington for 2 weeks. The only way to get a touring bike off the property is with a trailer. NOT!

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones ya walk from are just lessions to be learned and be thankful for..glad your not hurt.

Cary

Glad you walked away! I'll have to file the "don't fixate" in my memory bank. (Going for my MSF course in the Spring.)

Glad you are ok!
2247302-plus1.gif

Glad you are OK and there is not much damage to your bike. I've had to fight the fixation problems a few times myself. I've just been lucky enough to not go off the road when it has happened.

Tom

This is no good. Complete bummer, Scab.

Given the large number of similar forum posts we've had lately, FJRs just don't seem to bounce very well off of roads and ditches, it seems.

Everyone please remember it's wintertime nowadays... there should be a lot less leaning and performance riding going on until the temps climb back up at least to the 50-60 degree F, therebouts.

Glad you're basically okay, Scab; obviously, it could have been worse. :(

Scab overran his tires.

I have to admit that I did not get back to him in time to make any difference. I pulled over at the next break and waited for the group to catch up. When a couple cagers came zooming by I had that "hair standing up on the back of my neck" feeling, and bailed back to find Scab smoking after sex. :)

How's the foot Scab?

Enjoyed riding with you guys today. Making a change to my plans and going to ride Shady Valley tomorrow before I go home. Wanna try again Scab?

:D :D :D

Scab,glad you're OK with minimal damage.

Were you on 60? Thats a real curvey road north of suchs and can have a little loose stuff in the corner here and there.I think these group rides are good to meet fellow FJR owners to hobknob with and have a little fun.

But I'm no real fan of group rides myself.I don't particularly like riding with people I don't normally ride with.

Not to say anything bad about anyone,but I think theres to much peer pressure when you get with a group and ultimately this kinda shit happens with someone riding out of their comfort zone.People need to learn to ride THEIR ride and not get caught up with staying with the guy in front of you. Glad you're alright scab and don't mean to be crapping on ya but there seems to be to much of this stuff happening here lately.

Kinda thought you dudes woulda postponed this little ride til sunday at least til the temps came up a little.

Youse guys gottum big balls to ride in 14 degree temps.

Scab overran his tires.
How's the foot Scab?
Speaking of tires... I discovered an interesting thing on the way home. Keep in mind this is no excuse.

Last night, late, I checked air pressure on the bike for the ride today. Set both at 42 psi. On the way home, me and the fence-man stopped for a break. I noticed tire wear. Visibly noticeable wear since I left home. Got me thinking. Checked pressure. DAMN NEAR 60 PSI IN REAR! WTF? Is this due to it being about 20 degrees last night when I set the psi? Or do I possibly have a bad gauge? If I was running near 60 in the rear and better than 50 in the front, I bet my contact patches were pretty slim. :blink: Could this be a contributor? Sure. No excuse though. I felt the front slip twice before this and still pushed her. My mistake, plain and simple. What I am wondering about is the temperature/air pressure thing. Obviously, my understanding is lacking in this area. (makes me wonder about extrememarine's tire too)

The foot's fine. The right shoulder is starting to stiffen-up pretty good, though.

Yes, I bit the dust today. Somewhere in the mountains of north Georgia. We (me, jwilly, fjrfencer, jeffashe, extrememarine) were tormenting the mountain natives on our brisk little December excursion. It was 14 degrees when I left the house this morning. Sheeesh. Who thought of this dumbass ride? Oh, yeah, FENCER! Anyhoo, we had just recently changed the lineup and somebody (jwilly) let jeffashe lead. Who, by the way, can ride the living piss out of an FJR. Being second in the lineup, and not wanting to hold up the other three, and being short on sense, I pushed a little harder than I should have. I over-cooked a right-hander, locked the rear, lost focus of the curve, FIXATED on the ditch dead ahead, and promptly planted my ass in it. No where in this story did I remember to just RIDE THE BIKE. Oh well, shit happened.Damage to the bike is extremely minimal. Bent my homemade highway peg/skidder, wadded up my right side homemade 'jewel-cool' wind deflector, and picked up a few minor scratches. Me? I am fine. jwilly had to pick the beast up off of me, as it had my right foot pinned underneath by means of the right rear peg.

The guys were great. They were right there and on top of it.

[SIZE=36pt]THANKS, GUYS![/SIZE]

That's it. I screwed up.
A lesson for all of us. Glad to hear you are OK.

Hey Scab...Glad youre ok. Sounds very similar to my get off...even the fact that Fencer was there.

Hmmmmmm.....coincidence???

See but I turned my head around to look at the curve as I flew over the handlebars, that way I couldn't blame it on target fixation. ;)

Take care!

Scab,glad you're OK with minimal damage.Were you on 60? Thats a real curvey road north of suchs and can have a little loose stuff in the corner here and there.I think these group rides are good to meet fellow FJR owners to hobknob with and have a little fun.

But I'm no real fan of group rides myself.I don't particularly like riding with people I don't normally ride with.

Not to say anything bad about anyone,but I think theres to much peer pressure when you get with a group and ultimately this kinda shit happens with someone riding out of their comfort zone.People need to learn to ride THEIR ride and not get caught up with staying with the guy in front of you. Glad you're alright scab and don't mean to be crapping on ya but there seems to be to much of this stuff happening here lately.

Kinda thought you dudes woulda postponed this little ride til sunday at least til the temps came up a little.

Youse guys gottum big balls to ride in 14 degree temps.
I don't know what road it was. I was just following the group and enjoying not having to keep track of the roads. I wish I could blame it on some loose stuff, but no. And really, there was no pressure to keep up except from myself. Sometimes it can be a good thing to push the envelope and better your skills. At least, it has worked before. Today just wasn't that day. "Ride your ride" is all well and good advice, but I made the decision to try to change "my ride". I got bit. I am not trying to make light of any safety advice, but some of this is inevitably the nature of the beast. I have been on rides where I just spoke up and said; "This is the best I can do." I am not afraid to stand out. So, no pressure. These guys are great. It was just me making a bad decision. Plain and simple. Truth be known, I have been doing this alot lately. (pushing myself) Mostly alone, but with the luxury of knowing the road. What I shouldn't have done today was do this on an unknown road. (well that, and other stuff I am sure) But ultimately, no one bears any share of this responsibility but me.

Speaking of tires... I discovered an interesting thing on the way home. Keep in mind this is no excuse. Last night, late, I checked air pressure on the bike for the ride today. Set both at 42 psi. On the way home, me and the fence-man stopped for a break. I noticed tire wear. Visibly noticeable wear since I left home. Got me thinking. Checked pressure. DAMN NEAR 60 PSI IN REAR! WTF? Is this due to it being about 20 degrees last night when I set the psi? Or do I possibly have a bad gauge? If I was running near 60 in the rear and better than 50 in the front, I bet my contact patches were pretty slim. :blink: Could this be a contributor? Sure. No excuse though. I felt the front slip twice before this and still pushed her. My mistake, plain and simple. What I am wondering about is the temperature/air pressure thing. Obviously, my understanding is lacking in this area. (makes me wonder about extrememarine's tire too)

The foot's fine. The right shoulder is starting to stiffen-up pretty good, though.
Scary stuff, Scab. Sounds like you and the bike are in remarkable shape, all things considered.

I think my Avons are about the squirreliest tires I've ever ridden on in cold weather. I had a few 20 F mornings this week (and no, I'm not talking about things mumbled under my helmet - that would be 40 or 50 F). Under hard acceleration in very mild curves, rear end wants to break loose like a bitch in heat. I don't like it at all.