SCAB DOWN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be willing to bet the inflated tire pressure, plus the cold pavement didn't help matters.

Glad you're ok, albeit a bit sore about now :(

:jester:

Now, the 14F was when I left home. At crash time, we were well above freezing. Not well above, but above.

You just had to fess up before I could beat you down with it, did'nt you ;)

We could tell he was a little shook up when I cracked on him and everone got it but him. Whenever we ride, He always says he's not the kind to hang off his bike. When I pointed out to him that he was just hanging off the bike he looked like a deer in headlights.

Farkle of the year should go to Scab for his homemade slider. He had no fairing damage, and the slider broke off without frame damage (J/K Skyway :p )

Oh, quite your whinning about leaving your house at 14 degees. You drove 5 minutes to meet me, then we had breakfast while it warmed up to a toasty 22 with the sun comming up. I'm the one who road in the stuff for an hour and 1/2 with ice on my helmet :rolleyes:

And the next time I suggest a ride on a weather day like that, promply plant your foot in my ass

You just had to fess up before I could beat you down with it, did'nt you ;)
We could tell he was a little shook up when I cracked on him and everone got it but him. Whenever we ride, He always says he's not the kind to hang off his bike. When I pointed out to him that he was just hanging off the bike he looked like a deer in headlights.

Farkle of the year should go to Scab for his homemade slider. He had no fairing damage, and the slider broke off without frame damage (J/K Skyway :p )

Oh, quite your whinning about leaving your house at 14 degees. You drove 5 minutes to meet me, then we had breakfast while it warmed up to a toasty 22 with the sun comming up. I'm the one who road in the stuff for an hour and 1/2 with ice on my helmet :rolleyes:

And the next time I suggest a ride on a weather day like that, promply plant your foot in my ass

Yeah, I finally got the joke about 30 minutes later. :dribble:

And shut up about the 14F only lasting me a couple of minutes. I had the sympathy pouring in and now you blew it. Quick, post the picture with the ice on your face shield.

And the next time you suggest the December DumbAss ride, the foot's coming.

But hey, I did land in some ice!

Oh, the skidder didn't break. It bent at about 45 degree angle. Jwilly took it off because it was loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of tires... I discovered an interesting thing on the way home. Keep in mind this is no excuse.

Last night, late, I checked air pressure on the bike for the ride today. Set both at 42 psi. On the way home, me and the fence-man stopped for a break. I noticed tire wear. Visibly noticeable wear since I left home. Got me thinking. Checked pressure. DAMN NEAR 60 PSI IN REAR! WTF? Is this due to it being about 20 degrees last night when I set the psi? Or do I possibly have a bad gauge? If I was running near 60 in the rear and better than 50 in the front, I bet my contact patches were pretty slim. :blink: Could this be a contributor? Sure. No excuse though. I felt the front slip twice before this and still pushed her. My mistake, plain and simple. What I am wondering about is the temperature/air pressure thing. Obviously, my understanding is lacking in this area. (makes me wonder about extrememarine's tire too)

The foot's fine. The right shoulder is starting to stiffen-up pretty good, though.
Scary stuff, Scab. Sounds like you and the bike are in remarkable shape, all things considered.

I think my Avons are about the squirreliest tires I've ever ridden on in cold weather. I had a few 20 F mornings this week (and no, I'm not talking about things mumbled under my helmet - that would be 40 or 50 F). Under hard acceleration in very mild curves, rear end wants to break loose like a bitch in heat. I don't like it at all.
Glad to read your posts Scab....and see that you're ok...would suck to be reading posts from someone else about your get-off...

I've Avons on my bike as well...not too sure about stickiness in cold weather....this winter commuting below freezing...they don't feel right.

craig

No, these tires in question are the now infamous Pilot Roads. I hated them even before this.

Quick, post the picture with the ice on your face shield.
Ask and ye shal receive

IMG_0011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Scab, just curious, but do you think ABS would have helped you?

I'm sorta glad to hear about other's posts about the Avons. I have them on my bike, and I'm not comfortable with them the way I was with the Pilot Roads, or the Bridgestone 020's.

Glad you came out OK Scab. It's hard to break target fixation when things are happening fast. Sorry I missed the ride. This is just me but when I hit the twisties, I lower my tire pressure from my distance riding pressure. It increases the contact patch for hard cornering. 32 lbs was recomended to me at CLASS. I feel a little more comfortable at 34-35 lbs. I air back up when hitting the slab back home. I do this every time I make my day trips to the Gap. Just my .02.

Again, I'm glad you are OK. I hit Cheaha last Wednesday for a couple of runs. Solo of course because of my shitty schedule.

Scab, just curious, but do you think ABS would have helped you?
I'm sorta glad to hear about other's posts about the Avons. I have them on my bike, and I'm not comfortable with them the way I was with the Pilot Roads, or the Bridgestone 020's.
Most definately. When the rear locked, it kinda stole my focus of riding through the curve. Then it was all downhill from there. I think ABS would have helped.

As for my Pilot Roads, I hate 'em. I have not been comfortable with these tires since day one. But to be fair, I may just have a bad front. The first set of tires on this bike was the stock stones. I was comfortable with those tires but rode much more conservatively, as the bike was new to me. Rode those during winter and they did fine. Never did I push them though. I ran Avons after that. I really liked the tire. I used them all up during hot weather so I cannot say anything about how they behave in the cold.

Glad you came out OK Scab. It's hard to break target fixation when things are happening fast. Sorry I missed the ride. This is just me but when I hit the twisties, I lower my tire pressure from my distance riding pressure. It increases the contact patch for hard cornering. 32 lbs was recomended to me at CLASS. I feel a little more comfortable at 34-35 lbs. I air back up when hitting the slab back home. I do this every time I make my day trips to the Gap. Just my .02.
Again, I'm glad you are OK. I hit Cheaha last Wednesday for a couple of runs. Solo of course because of my shitty schedule.
Considering the experience, I am prolly gonna give that air pressure system a shot.

Scab,

Glad you rode away from this one. To your credit, at least you didn't "target fixate" on the 10 foot ravine, a few feet to the left and it would have been fugly. Oh, and keeping the bike from completely touching the ground by strategically placing your foot under the passenger peg was quick thinking too!!

ridesafe

extrememarine

Last night, late, I checked air pressure on the bike for the ride today. Set both at 42 psi. On the way home, me and the fence-man stopped for a break. I noticed tire wear. Visibly noticeable wear since I left home. Got me thinking. Checked pressure. DAMN NEAR 60 PSI IN REAR! WTF? Is this due to it being about 20 degrees last night when I set the psi? Or do I possibly have a bad gauge?
There isn't anything that could explain those pressures except a bad air guage or operator error. It takes a 50 degree F change in temperature to change the air volume (and pressure) by 10 percent. Whatever cold tire pressures you run in the summer, you should use 10-15 percent less in the winter. Starting with lower tire pressures in the cold weather will help your tires to run hotter (than with the higher pressures) but they still will not run as hot in the winter as they do in the summer and traction will suffer as a result. When you combine a cold tire on a even colder surface the resulting traction with that surface is not very good.

Not to hijack Scabs thread on an Avon discussion, I posted my impressions of the Avon storms cold weather handling here

Last night, late, I checked air pressure on the bike for the ride today. Set both at 42 psi. On the way home, me and the fence-man stopped for a break. I noticed tire wear. Visibly noticeable wear since I left home. Got me thinking. Checked pressure. DAMN NEAR 60 PSI IN REAR! WTF? Is this due to it being about 20 degrees last night when I set the psi? Or do I possibly have a bad gauge?
There isn't anything that could explain those pressures except a bad air guage or operator error. It takes a 50 degree F change in temperature to change the air volume (and pressure) by 10 percent. Whatever cold tire pressures you run in the summer, you should use 10-15 percent less in the winter. Starting with lower tire pressures in the cold weather will help your tires to run hotter (than with the higher pressures) but they still will not run as hot in the winter as they do in the summer and traction will suffer as a result. When you combine a cold tire on a even colder surface the resulting traction with that surface is not very good.
Gauge experiments tomorrow.

Wow... glad to hear you made it out mostly intact. Sucks about the tire pressure... Smartire can be had from G. McCoy for about $160... and gives you a continuous backup in case your handheld gauge or operator error come into play during a top off...

Me thinks it's time for me to speak up about tires today.

I was running a fresh set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas and had chance

to push them a bit. They performed flawlessly through some sections

of Hwy-19 where, as Jwilly can attest, I managed to rock and roll a bit.

Plus, the Stradas ran through the section that bit Scab on Pilot Roads, without

any complications. I only lost major traction one time today on some

loose gravel that was all but unavoidable.

Like I told Scab, my experience is that you can't do on PRs what you can on Stradas.

Unless your name is Grumpy.

Me thinks it's time for me to speak up about tires today.
I was running a fresh set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas and had chance

to push them a bit. They performed flawlessly through some sections

of Hwy-19 where, as Jwilly can attest, I managed to rock and roll a bit.

Plus, the Stradas ran through the section that bit Scab on Pilot Roads, without

any complications. I only lost major traction one time today on some

loose gravel that was all but unavoidable.

Like I told Scab, my experience is that you can't do on PRs what you can on Stradas.

Unless your name is Grumpy.
I kept telling ya I could keep up with u and Willy, but but I had two bikes with Roads on them in my way :p

Glad you are ok and the outcome was not to terrible. I think I would be counting my blessing one by one

and thank the Man upstairs .

MCrider007 has it rite on for tire pressure for riding in cold weather. Stop and think about it, your tire most likely did not reach operating temp. so the rubber could react to the pavement as it would have if it was 90'F out side.

Scab were you concerned about black ice on the road during your ride at temps that low?

weekend rider :D