Scala Q2 MP3 connection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked the Scala site and I didn't see where the Q2 MP3 connection is in stereo, I only saw that you can now plug in a MP3 source. Linky?

If you are looking for a simple wireless communications device the Q2 is great. Unlike some people on this forum, my wife and I find it to be convenient and enjoyable to talk together, especially on longer trips. The Q2s did a great job on the 600+ mile days we did to/from EOM a couple of weeks ago. We have never run out of battery with them.

The Q2s aren't perfect, they are mono (AFAIK), there is some delay after a VOX session has been opened but that doesn't matter if using the intercom mode. The FM radio works but it is not super. IMO, there are actually to few buttons :blink: The four buttons have too many functions assigned to them and getting straight all the press, press and hold, press twice, press in combination, etc, etc while riding is too difficult for this old guy to keep up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Q2s aren't perfect, they are mono (AFAIK), there is some delay after a VOX session has been opened but that doesn't matter if using the intercom mode. The FM radio works but it is not super. IMO, there are actually to few buttons :blink: The four buttons have too many functions assigned to them and getting straight all the press, press and hold, press twice, press in combination, etc, etc while riding is too difficult for this old guy to keep up with.
Agreed on too few buttons with each having too many purposes. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with mine.

To solve the MP3 issues, I just bought a simple $15 wireless FM transmitter that my Ipod Nano clips into. I tuned my Scala Rider to the correct FM frequency and presto, I heard my music. Not super quality, but not bad, either. I have a cable for the FM transmitter that keeps it and the Nano charged - I've had no battery issues on either because I just keep that plugged in to the bike. The battery on the Q2 has been pretty excellent. If you don't talk non-stop, it will last all day.

taken from the website:

Using a second helmet and don't want to ride without your SCALA RIDER? A second Helmet Clamp is your solution. The new Helmet Clamp comes with dual speakers (mono), a high impact balancing microphone, and a rugged clamp for instant attachment to your helmet (alternative option to glue the kit onto your helmet is also provided). In addition, you can also connect your MP3 player via the enclosed cable and listen to your favorite tune in full stereo. This Helmet Clamp comes with an extra long boom of 19.5 cm / 7.7 inches. NOTE: MP3 connectivity is not supported when using the SCALA RIDER solo or FM headsets. It works only with the following SCALA RIDER models: TeamSet, Q2, and Q2 MultiSet.

I just ordered from the Cardo website a new helmet kit for the Scala Q2 headset that comes with a plug into an MP3 player. On the site it states the connection will be in stereo.
https://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFro...et=products.asp
You get it yet? Is it stereo? I wonder if all the new units come with it?
I just received it today and will install it tonight. According to the site all new ones come with it. I will give a report tomorrow.

well, I installed it lastnight, plugged it in and it sounds like i am under water. I jiggled the plug at the connection and it is intermitent, so I think the plug is bad. I will contact Cardo tomorrow and see if I can get another one.

well, I installed it lastnight, plugged it in and it sounds like i am under water. I jiggled the plug at the connection and it is intermitent, so I think the plug is bad. I will contact Cardo tomorrow and see if I can get another one.

Hmm, interesting...keep us updated