Scala Rider Q2 unit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you interested in Scala Rider Q2

• Yes, please beam me up Scotty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the devil away from me

• Stop waking me up, go away

• Total voters
I am looking for a Q2 now, so good timing. I have a Scala Rider now and it works great.
Ditto for me. My husband and I just purchased one and we love it. The sound is awesome. He called me the other day on his cell phone and I couldn't tell he was on the bike going 65 mph. I highly recommend it.

how is this different from the one I have now, Cougar. You know what I've got...

Autocom has addressed the issue of bluetooth in there dealer manual it states that bluetooth is nice but it does not work, if you want to spend a lot of money and get poor quality then get bluetooth, if you want good perfomance and a guaranty that the system will perform, stick with hard wired parts. I would stay away from these wireless systems until a mfg who has a lot of experience with motorcycles comes out with one. I am biased because I am a autocom dealer, but I have also tried a lot of the other stuff out there and it flat does not work............stick with what works...........a singleline going to your helmet is not that big a deal. If you think that is a problem just wait, keeping 5 devices paired via bluetooth is virtually impossible and sure to give one ulcers...................Kieth in Tulsa :dribble:

OK, so what category are you in: "Beam me up" or "Keep the devil away" :yahoo:
I abstained from the vote.

I really, really want to go wireless (blue tooth or whatever) to the helmet, but it has to be stereo and (if I'nm going to spend this kinda cash) it has to be as adaptable as an Autocom. Radar detector, GPS directions, Cell phone, 2-way GPRS Radio, full duplex intercom.

I'm waiting to see what Autocom's wireless solution will be. I can't believe it is taking them so long...

Well here's my two cents worth. My wife loves to ride with me so one of the first things I did was look at intercom systems. I have the zumo 550 and wanted soemthing that would also work with its bluetooth capabilities. We got the Scarla Q2's and really like them. They do have their quirks. The vox is hard to activate, sometimes yelling to get them to come on. What we discovered though is if you push the back button on the side of the unit it seems to toggle it to an always on mode. This supposedly drains the batteries faster but we have yet to find out how fast, our longest day being about 5 hours. One of the things my wife doesn't like is the GPS cuts her off when it has something to say. If you're deviating from the selected route this can be almost continuous until it recalculates the new route. Annoying but tolerable. Only used the phone with it once to take a call from my daughter and she commented on how quiet it was.

Overall we are very happy with sound qualtiy and performance. Quirks are tolerable once you figure out how to work through them.

Steve

I read all about it and went out a bought one. Riding an FJR I tested it. The radio is marginal, It is mono and as for sound volume it is ok up till about 50 mph and the wind noise blows it away. As for the intercom factor ...if you cant hear .. why talk.. and the purpose is to keep in communicaiton with your riding buddies. Second, and the biggest hastle is that it does not keep memory with Blue tooth items when you turn it off. You have to re-establish the link each time you turn off the unit/s. And 3rd it only links one other head set and if you link 3 the third cant hear the second...So it is in my not so humble opinion...a POS.

My vote is NO and for long distance riders ...well if you ride fairly fast and want to listen with full volume well it is just not going to happen longer than 8 hours. If you do 1k runs then you are out of luck ...

My vote is No besides. the water proofness of the unit is greatly in question because the wind kept opening the battery port on me and it is at best a poor seal against moisture. It hands down is the worst 200 buck investment that i have made...

Another one for the trash bin.

Whitehorse

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the Q2 for a year now and am pleased.

It is Mono, certainly not HiFi but serves the purpose well.

Vox works fine, Vox is vox, sneez, cough, yell at cagers it communicates all

to your buddy cause......IT'S VOX! "Voice Operated Transmitter" If it just beeps on your vocal

your prolly no longer paired.

Turn both units off/on, let the Q2 reintialize. Give them the time, might take a minute. Usually much quicker.

This has happened to me but rarely. Twice in fact with thousands of miles and many months in between.

You can turn it off then on. Reset it on the fly.

Your comunicator buddy knows this routine as well or should.

Cardo FM Receiver does suck. I receive FM broadcast via blutooth using a Yaesu Transceiver.

I dont use the Q2 FM (MONO) reciever.

If the Cardo is turned off it does remember who/what its paired with, give it the time to reconnect. Sheesh!

I do like that Im not tethered to the bike.

Works great for me!

Pioneer

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my hands on ours right after they came out, the gf loves it. We tried several things, from motorola with push to talk using firefox throat mikes, to VOX systems. But wireless bluetooth is the way to go. The FM reception does suck and yes you can bluetooth music in, but I use a FM transmitter in my cigarette lighter port. Coby makes the one that I use and I have found, that in this case, cheep is a hell of a lot better that expensive. Bought a belkin, and the damn thing had to be right on the headset. This Coby, model CA-745, allows me to plug in my sandisk mp3 player (using the headphone out) digitally tune to a frequence and then use the seek on the Q2 to find it. As for range, I actually walked about 80 ft around a hotel corner before it turned static. And as a plus, the Coby has a cigarette port built in to the plug (think piggy-back style). The gf can interupt my music and converse freely, and then I tap the MC button on the Q2 and back to the music. This for me is the way to go, but I do use the bluetooth transmitter as described previously for the radar detector mine has voice alert. As far as volume and noise(wind), I do use ear plugs from work (the cheap foam green ones) to stabilize all the noises and it sounds pretty good and I can listen all day long to the mus... girlfriend.!

I enjoy listening to music wherever i go, so affordable wireless music solution for those with stereo Bluetooth-enabled phones or music players. convenient, comfortable, and high-quality solution.

We also have the Q2 Teamset, and use it for 2-up and bike-to-bike. Bike-to-bike range pretty much only works while the other bike is in sight. The VOX activation can be problematic, but either unit can initiate an intercom call with a button press. The voice activation can also be disabled. I also use it to answer calls while riding. The FM radio sucks, though, and if you want to plug in another audio source, you will have to deal with wires. Communicating while riding makes all the difference. My wife misplaced hers for awhile, and we ended up taking the car several times because she wanted to be able to talk to me.