• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Scammer Alert

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Posted a 'Wanted' ad for Zumo TPS sensors.

Someone named 'ZonyBrody' sent me a PM -
Screen Shot 2024-07-31 at 9.00.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-07-31 at 9.02.06 AM.png
"Monday at 1:06 AM
Hi brother I can recommend an uncle who have a umo tire pressure sensor units in a very good condition send him a pm on [email protected] if you still looking"

Having recently been scammed of $200, I see scammer patterns:
  1. Obvious attempts to personalize the conversation "Hi Brother"
  2. Will always use a 'relative' to make the deal "recommend an uncle"
  3. Almost always will attempt to re-direct conversation location "send him a pm on [email protected]"
  4. Had I gone forward, the scammer will attempt to persuade you to pay via PayPal 'Friends and Family.' Why F&F? You have no recourse. No transaction protection from PP. You are, as they say in the insurance world, running 'naked'.
Looked at his profile this early AM, found the above screenshots. Looked about 20 minutes later, the account has mysteriously disappeared.

Sent PM to admin Cycle asking if forum options exist to prevent PM's from un-vetted new members.

So, seller or buyer, beware!

DC, this is a common tactic by scammers to try and direct you off the website. Unfortunately want ads seem to bring the scammer s out big time.

Posted a 'Wanted' ad for Zumo TPS sensors.

Someone named 'ZonyBrody' sent me a PM -
View attachment 7783 View attachment 7784
"Monday at 1:06 AM
Hi brother I can recommend an uncle who have a umo tire pressure sensor units in a very good condition send him a pm on [email protected] if you still looking"

Having recently been scammed of $200, I see scammer patterns:
  1. Obvious attempts to personalize the conversation "Hi Brother"
  2. Will always use a 'relative' to make the deal "recommend an uncle"
  3. Almost always will attempt to re-direct conversation location "send him a pm on [email protected]"
  4. Had I gone forward, the scammer will attempt to persuade you to pay via PayPal 'Friends and Family.' Why F&F? You have no recourse. No transaction protection from PP. You are, as they say in the insurance world, running 'naked'.
Looked at his profile this early AM, found the above screenshots. Looked about 20 minutes later, the account has mysteriously disappeared.

Sent PM to admin Cycle asking if forum options exist to prevent PM's from un-vetted new members.

So, seller or buyer, beware!

Use the REPORT button on the offending PM. It will create a link to the offender instead of an admin possibly getting the wrong account.

Oops. See others have Cycle have addressed this.

Also note that a pinned post is at the top of each for sale and wanted section warning about this specific scams. We play whack-a-mole but there will also be a lag between intrusion and expulsion. Using the REPORT button speeds up the process and increases accuracy.

Thanks all. My post had two goals.

1) Help others Identify potential scamming techniques
2) Ask if forum has option to prevent PM's for un-vetted new members.

#1 is completed, not sure about #2.

Thanks for advice on Report button.:)

Thanks all. My post had two goals.

1) Help others Identify potential scamming techniques
2) Ask if forum has option to prevent PM's for un-vetted new members.

#1 is completed, not sure about #2.

Thanks for advice on Report button.:)

#2 is the process you went through when signing up. That, before certain bars are met for participation, some areas of the forum aren't available.

Latest posts