scared away

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+10 on Chornbe's last part. Experience is all it takes. If you don't practice slow speed manvers, it's no surprise that parking lot speeds will make you nervous. I've seen MM2 doing lot drills before a group ride several times, just to warm up and focus. I've done that too, plus the ERC now and then like Bounce.

The Tiger is a neat bike, someday I'd like to have enough garage to have all of the cool bikes I want. :D Until then, I'm pretty happy with what the FJR can do.

As for no test ride, ya didn't ask us did ya? :dribble: That's why I'm not buying a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow......they won't let me test drive one at the dealer. :rolleyes: :lol:

If you're worried about a heavy bike, buy a nice used Concourse and drop it a bunch of times. Just get a supply of foot pegs first. After a while you'll get used to it. ;)

You might just consider telling us what you're riding now, or what your last bike was. And where you are. You never know who might step up and offer you some personal exposure to a FJR.

well you have managed to change my mind about getting a FJR right now after reading the threads on it being top heavy, overweight and not a good slow speed bike.
WHAT? Are we talking about the same FJR? Topheavy? Not good slow speed? I'm confused. Or you are.

Slow speed handling is relative to experience and size. At 6'2" @270 lbs, I don't have the issues that someone 5'10" @150lbs might have.
I'm 5'6" and can handle the FJR with no issues. Experience outweighs the apparent size benefits.

If you love the bike then get it. You never know what is going to happen “later”…if you want it now get it now. You'll learn how to maneuver it no matter your size. I'm 5'10'' and can stand flat footed. I'm not sure what the advantage could possibly be being 6'2'' 270!? Just keep it perpendicular when your feet are down and your walking it. If you love it then get it...if you don’t, get something else. I have had my eye on this bike for over a year and I saved up and bought it…cause she’s so beautiful.

To add one more to what other's have already said. I have never ONCE found myself thinking my FJR was top heavy. Never. I have also found the FJR to be a VERY compliant slow speed bike. I'm 5'11" and around 178 pounds, for the record. Slow speed=No problems on the FJR IMO.

If you're worried about a heavy bike, buy a nice used Concourse and drop it a bunch of times. Just get a supply of foot pegs first. After a while you'll get used to it. ;)
*nods* I had one. Never dropped it, but man oh man... that bike will absolutely CURE you about what you think is a heavy and top-heavy bike. After riding that, everything else - including the 'Wing - feels like a well-balanced toy.

Good luck with your choice .

I had not ridden for 11 years and went out and bought the FJR.

It handles okay at slow speed you just have to play around in empty parking lots to get use to it.

Put your foot down and slip and yes it will try to find the lowest spot available!

backing it up in gravel, etc is the only thing that I really have had an issue with, just because of width of seat and possible foot slipage, I figured you can always take the seat off and move it than just snap the seat back on and away you go!

let us know how you like your ride once you have put some miles on it

OCfjr is right. The first time I posted on this site, Renegade, who lives maybe an hour from me stepped in and offered to let me ride his. I haven't yet, but now that's some dang good people in my book!

I appreciate all of the input and you all obviously like what you ride. I presently have a 04' Triumph Bonneville 420lbs ml with a seat height of 29" to answer the question of what I ride. I am 64 and just took up street riding two years ago, had lots of experience on 4 wheelers and off road bikes in the past but not much on street machines. I like Yamaha and have a Grizzly 660 and a Kodiak 400 so no complaints on the brand. I know where there is a new 06 AE within 130 miles of me, maybe I'll just go see what it is all about. Thanks, Jack

I appreciate all of the input and you all obviously like what you ride. I presently have a 04' Triumph Bonneville 420lbs ml with a seat height of 29" to answer the question of what I ride. I am 64 and just took up street riding two years ago, had lots of experience on 4 wheelers and off road bikes in the past but not much on street machines. I like Yamaha and have a Grizzly 660 and a Kodiak 400 so no complaints on the brand. I know where there is a new 06 AE within 130 miles of me, maybe I'll just go see what it is all about. Thanks, Jack
Everything you know about dirt riding translates to the street IMHO.

That experience alone has saved my butt on a couple occasions. There are things you learn playing in the dirt that just can't be 'practiced' well on the street.

The Tiger looks like a hell of a lot of fun if you ask me, but it's not my thang. If $ were no option though I'd probably add one to the stable just because I could.

:D

We're not knocking the Tiger, but if you're wanting more wind protection and some hard luggage, (why I moved from a Sport-touring to a sport-Touring bike), then the FJR is a easy step. It does weight 650 lbs. wet, but it doesn't ride like it's that heavy.

I had an 05 tiger and the common statement on the tiger was, not if you drop it but when. that tiger was indeed top heavy with the large gas tank. I know they made major changes for the 07, larger engine, lighter weight, and they are no longer calling it dual purpose. I loved the ride of the tiger. the long travel of the suspension eats up bumps and the bike handled like a charm. As stated earlier the wind and weather protection is going to be next to nothing. I was a little disappointed in the gas mileage of the triple, only getting in the high 30's to very low 40's and this without a heavy hand. The new tiger looks great and different strokes for different folks. You need no ones approval, do what you want, ride what you want. Ride safe. Everett

Did you have a chance to test ride an FJR? I think you would be surprised on how well it actually does handle at low speed. The only time I notice the weight is if I have to push it up an incline. Once it starts rolling under it's own power it seems like it's a lot lighter than it actually is.

I hadn't ridden a motorcycle of any kind in over 20 years when I decided to get back in. I did my home work and found for what I wanted to do the FJR was the best choice. Bought it and rode it home which was about 30 miles. That was the first time I even sat on a bike in all that time. I think that says a lot for what a well behaved bike it really is (and yes I know it wasn't the best way to get it home the first time :blink: )

BTW: I later took the MSF course which was really great and would recommend that anyone in a similar situation take the course FIRST ;) then test ride and buy the bike.

I loved the Tiger. Problem is they are too tall for me to reach the ground. I guess that qualifies it as top heavy! :D

I loved the Tiger. Problem is they are too tall for me to reach the ground. I guess that qualifies it as top heavy! :D
I had exactly the same issue with the FJR - I loved it but couldn't reach the ground. First time out, I rode it without the seat - just sat on a thin pillow on the frame. Confirmed that I loved the bike and would keep it. Got some thick soled boots. Eventually lowered the bike by an inch and got rid of the thick boots.

Still can't reach the ground as well as I'd like, but well enough to put 14K miles on the bike in 13mths.

Jill