Schuberth C3 Owners - Sizing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohan

Reaction score
I never really bought a good Lid; All my prior lids were all soley bought on Sale% and how cool they look :)

Looking at buying a Schuberth C3 and i measure 59cms - Which would put me in the L Sizing.

However, I stopped at my local store to get a physical feel before i commit to the $s. I tried XL; L and M - While all fit fine snug - I felt M to be really snug without too much of hard push on my cheeks. And the local dealer was suggesting i go with M rather than L as long as i have no discomfort.

Wanted to see how you all felt with the fit on the sizing aspect.

I should also add - No matter what size i tried - I have to give a slight effort when closing the faceshield( felt its really tight and might need some getting usedto..); May be its coz of the Chin Curtain on the C3 (I had a Chin curtain on my Shark RSR2, but may be its different coz its NOT a Modular) - Is this Normal?

Please also comment on what other lids you had prior to this and how does c3 stack up against them.

If you want the best lid out there you might want to grab an arai.. best fit and really comfortable.

If you want the best modular get the shuberth.

I am using a c3 now and there is no really comparison with the feal compared to the Arai.

I compare it more to the shoie I used to have.

If you are planing on using the schuberth with a intercom or something be aware most will not fit the c3 due to wide neck pad.

Leave yourself plenty of room in front of the chin for the mike.

My head measured on the line between l and xl but had to go with the xl due to chin to mike to chin bar room.

The face shield should close easily to all except the last click.

I actually wish the shield would be a little tighter so I could leave it open above 60mph on a hot day.

I had a chance to try on several helmets including the C3 and the Shoei Neotec. The Neotec was really comfortable and well built. It was impressive. Not sure how the two compare, but just going by feel, that Neotec was a really a nice helmet. Didn't buy either as I didn't have the funds, but thought my experience might be worth mentioning.

Gary

darksider #44

I bought a Schuberth 2 months ago. What a nice helmet. I did the same thing. Went to the dealer and tried some on and found the right size for me. Then once I made my choice, I bought one out of Germany. Saved a lot of money. It did take two weeks to get but was worth the wait.

I bought a C3 in Large. I really was fretting that I had bought too small as it was snug to say the least. It had no pressure points but was snug. It did "break in" and the fit is comfortable after a few months wearing it.

Also when I bought mine it was very hard to close the chin bar one handed and one hand closing while underway. That has also gone away and I now can close it one handed.

It is a snug fitting helmet but it does wear or break in a bit.

As long as you have no pressure points of pain and room for your chin it is the right size.

YMMV

I bought a C3 in Large. I really was fretting that I had bought too small as it was snug to say the least. It had no pressure points but was snug. It did "break in" and the fit is comfortable after a few months wearing it.

Also when I bought mine it was very hard to close the chin bar one handed and one hand closing while underway. That has also gone away and I now can close it one handed.

As long as you have no pressure points of pain and room for your chin it is the right size.

YMMV
What size were you wearing in the other/prior helmets?

If you want the best lid out there you might want to grab an arai.. best fit and really comfortable.

I am using a c3 now and there is no really comparison with the feal compared to the Arai.

If you are planing on using the schuberth with a intercom or something be aware most will not fit the c3 due to wide neck pad.

My head measured on the line between l and xl but had to go with the xl due to chin to mike to chin bar room.

I actually wish the shield would be a little tighter so I could leave it open above 60mph on a hot day.
Right -- I did not think about the spacing for the boom mike. Thats a good one, i totally ignored.

"I am using a c3 now and there is no really comparison with the feal compared to the Arai." -- You mean your prior Arai fit better? Which Arai are you refering to here?

The arai was a large corsair rx7 that was a little too tight when I bought it.. I coulnt even close my mouth without biting the inside of my cheeks but it eventually broke in enough to be comfortable. It took about a full season so I guess I should have probabally used an xl instead. I really can't remember much about the shoie size but I'm guessing it was a large too. I dont know which one really fit me better but the material in the arai had a way more comfortable feel to it, more like putting on a glove with rabbit fur inside instead of just a normal work glove.

Right -- I did not think about the spacing for the boom mike. Thats a good one, i totally ignored.

"I am using a c3 now and there is no really comparison with the feal compared to the Arai." -- You mean your prior Arai fit better? Which Arai are you refering to here?
Acutally Schubert has there own comms system. It's a Cardo Scala unit reworked to fit into a replacement collar for the bottom of the helmet. Sadly it's really expensive.

When I'm shopping for a helmet I look for the helmet that's snug but doesn't move around when I do the toddler "NO!" head shake. You want it too snug as the padding will break in. If it's amazingly comfortable on day 1, it'll likely be too loose in a month or so. And yea, the cheek bite is annoying till they get broken in.

YMMV
What size were you wearing in the other/prior helmets?
Size Large in everything. Nolan, HJC, and a Schuberth J1 that I love and is my Summer helmet. I just replaced it and have to buy it from the UK. The C3 is a very nice helmet but is does fit snug, no two ways about it. The important thing is it feels good, does not move around on my head and induce helmet/head shake at speed. The one thing is venting. It will not vent to it's best unless the visor is completely closed. From the last click open to fully closed is a big difference in air flow.

Interesting the guy who wore Schuberth for many years and convinced me to wear them just switched to a Shoei Neotech and loves it. I just installed his Sena unit for him.

While we are there the Neck collar for the Schuberth is pure junk, save you money. The external stick on mount for a Sena works great and for the cost you can buy a pair of stick on mounts to make the mike internal, and a pair of Sena SH10's will cost about as much as the unit Schuberth sells. Sound level, fidelity, and install are a breeze.

I love the C3 but it fits snug for sure. IMHO a helmet should be snug, no front to rear roll, no pressure points, and not rack your head around in the wind stream even if you turn you head.

I have this to walk around with, so smooth in the wind, lite weight, and snug fit are a must for me! I can not take wind or head shake, or excess weight.

neck%20pinned.jpg

I have the C3 Large. Superbly comfortable out of the box. I can 'feel' the headband on my forehead and the top vent does rattle when it's in the open position. No trouble with Autocom coms fitment. Ultimately though it boils down to what fits your head shape.

<snip>Right -- I did not think about the spacing for the boom mike. Thats a good one, i totally ignored.
I'm using an Autocom system in a C3 with no issues (well none now I've bought the inner trim for the next size up as my normal size was too tight but that was nothing to do with the intercom).

Kevin