Schuberth vs Arai vs Nolan ......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This months RiDE (a UK) magazine had a test on quiet helmets. Of the 18 tested only one was a flip front (BMW system5 - made by Schuberth) which came in second and was beaten by the Schuberth S1. All helmets tested were noisier on faired bikes than unfaired due to turbulence.

I think noise levels are variable, by person, as head shape and fit will contribute to a great variance of perceived noise. Helmet reviews can help as the same heads are fitted to the same helmets (that's why noise evaluations vary on the same helmet from different reviewers). At least a helmet review can lead you to a helmet that has the greatest potential for quietness. Your experience may vary by fit, fairing, windshield, eyeshield postition, etc. Keep those earplugs handy.

Drawing conclusions about the relative protection afforded by a full face versus a flip front helmet is something I won't attempt. I don't have enough data points to make an intelligent comment.

However, from a purely anecdotal and subjective point of view on ONE data point.....one of the FJR pilots I have ridden with is in the long term part of the recovery process from a serious fall in which a flip front helmet separated into its two component parts. He brings the flip front part to our local meeting place and sets it next to his bike for all to consider. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. :ph34r:

Schuberth concept fllip face here. The release for the chin piece is on the left side, not on the chin as with all others I have seen. I con't know if the ones that "disinigrated" were chin area release buttons. Also, the mechanism utilized by Schuberth in the Concept helmet is made of metal, not the plastic retaining pieces used on some other helmets. The concept has a lip (previously mentioned) that effectivly blocks almost all the air from getting underneath (warmer in winter, dryer in the rain). The shape of the helmet is such that when you turn your head to the side you don't get pushed by the wind as much as some of the "flatter " sided helmets. The inner liner is removable and washable.
Someone above mentioned prob.s with speaker placement...I did not find that to be a problem at all and have done trips up to eighteen hours long without helmet discomfort (but I thought my ass was on fire) :huh:

the chin strap is a latch variety (not a D ring) and I love it because it is always set to the proper tightness, just click and go.

I'll be getting another one when it is time...

Gary
Same opinion here. I really like the Schuberth Concept. I'm waiting for some extra cash and will but the new version as soon as I can. I mounted the Autocom headset inside which was very time consuming. But once done correctly It sounds great...and NO ear pressure.

I also own an HJC Symax and tried a (friend's) Nolan for a few days. The HJC is OK, but breaks in too loose, and quality is so-so. It's also way noisier than the Schuberth. The Nolan, IMHO, was a complete joke and not worth a second look. I had problems opening it every time, and it beat up my forehead by the end of the day. I would have taken the Symax over the Nolan any day, if there were no other choices. I don't know how the latest version is though, it could be a huge improvement. I know the new C2 Schuberth is much improved. That's why I can't wait to upgrade, considering the comfort and ease of use I'm having with the original Concept.

I have a new X-1002 Nolan. it's my first full face coverage helmet, a flip because one of the BIG reasons I've never had a full face is my head shape and that I wear glasses. Could never get a full face over them-and once on sans glasses could never get them on. I do not like full face coverage-I don't like the sound, I don't like the feeling of enclosement, I don't like the vision, or lack of, compared to my trusty 3/4. I gave the Nolan a shot, and will be happy to sell it to you with very little wear, as it has been hardly used. While a beautiful piece of work, and the tinted visor is trick as hell, I just cannot get comfortable wearing it. It's an XL, silver, has maybe 3-4 hours of use.

nolan_x1002_hlmt_metsil.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about Nolan, or Arai.

I have three helmets:

Schuberth: Love the sun visor, hate the noise and the fact that fitting headsets is a PITA, and the aerodynamics result is significant head wobbling. In my book, the most expensice let down in recent motorcycling.

HJC Flip: Worried about plastic flip securing pins. How easy would the break letting the flip front swing open? Comfortable, quiet and easy for comm systems. Safe???

Scorpion Exo700: Quietest, comfortable, this is my primary helment.

I got clip on sunglasses built specifically for my glasses. Some clip on are magnetic making them even easier!

I just bought this one:

system5-1.jpg

system5-2.jpg

It's a BMW System 5. Very comfortable, very good metal latch system. Very nice helmet. Don't know if it is available in the US, and it's not cheap (same range as the Schuberth), but it's quality stuff.

Anyone try the Vega Summit XPV Modular Flip-up? I just started checking it out and for the money ($130) it is getting excellent reviews...

BTW, I have the Nolan, had the Shuberth, had a flipover which shattered the back of the helmet, never even had a headace but helmet was heavy.

Does anyone have any experience with the Caberg Justissimo? 
Thanks ! B)
I've got a Jarow Mono X2, should be nearly identical to the Caberg Justissimo. I got it last spring and love it. The last few helmets I've owned have been Shoies. I really liked the sun visor feature and the Jarow visor comes down lower than the Schuberth so is a little more functional.

Not sure about Nolan, or Arai.
I have three helmets:

Schuberth: Love the sun visor, hate the noise and the fact that fitting headsets is a PITA, and the aerodynamics result is significant head wobbling. In my book, the most expensice let down in recent motorcycling.

HJC Flip: Worried about plastic flip securing pins. How easy would the break letting the flip front swing open? Comfortable, quiet and easy for comm systems. Safe???

Scorpion Exo700: Quietest, comfortable, this is my primary helment.

I got clip on sunglasses built specifically for my glasses. Some clip on are magnetic making them even easier!
+1

Scorpion EXO-700 are priced the best, quiet helmet, best non-fogging lenses, aerodynamic excellent when trying to look over your shoulder, you save $200-300 dollars compared to other brands. Lastly they were rated one of the highest in crash protection in full face helmets. There is no compromise when it comes to protection, get a full face helmet...advise that comes with experience and a long recovery history with this rider.

I've got two Nolan N100Es (one for me and the pillion) that I've had for about a year now. I'm pretty happy with them although they are nosier than I'd like. I don't have any comparison but just feel they are noisier than they should be. I've fitted the bike with an Autocom Pro-7 sport and the ear pieces and boom mic went into the helmet with no trouble at all.

Just recently I performed the VPS (Vision Protection System) retrofit kit on both. The helmets were originally $235 and the retrofit kits for the Sept 2004 helmet manufacture date were about $45 each. (You need to buy the new VPS visor and a new visor pivot kit to accept the new visor.)

Of course the pieces did not come with any instructions and it took me a bit to figure out what went where and what to throw away but I finally got it. First lid took about 45 minutes...the second took about 10.

Sorry about the fuzzy pictures.

I'd be happy to document (w/pictures) the procedure if there is any interest.

P3050025.jpg

P3050026.jpg

P3050027.jpg

Wow...I guess I am the FNG. Sorry about the three images side by side to the right. Guess I needed a space between image uploads. :blink:

Anyway there are three images there with the new VPS visor retrofitted to a year old N100E Nolan.

Wow...discovery of the edit button!!! That should fix the picture post. :)

Just for your info.
I know a number of members on this forum who have had accidents with Flip Front helmets and all swear they will never go back to them because they discentigrate on impact.  They all stated they will go back to a fullface.  I like the concept of a flipface but  looks are one thing protection is another.
I did a flippy-flip wearing an N100. It saved my noggin. I have since had 2 more N100's and just picked up an X-1002 from Radman through this forum.

No helmet would have saved my neck from the hyper-extension it got as my entire body landed on the top of my head as I flipped heels-over-head. The N100 took the entire impact and allowed me to continue riding back to the finish line more than 300 miles away and then home the next day some 550 miles more. I then rode another 2 or 3 years before dealing with the neck problem.

The impression the helmet gave (during the impact) was as if my head was wrapped in a pillow.

1. I'd not compare a flip-face directly with a full face. It's more like a tiered system. From least to most protection:

Beanie

Half

3/4 open face

flip face

full face

Comping from years with open faced helmets, the flip was an improvement in protection for me while accommodating my glasses in a way that full faced helmets have never done.

2. Noise isn't an issue with any helmet since I learned years ago even the best helmet can't help stop hearing loss. So I use hearing protection no matter which helmet I use.

If a helmet fits well, but has a slightly tight spot, such as the forhead area, the styrofoam can be compressed with thumb pressure to relieve that area.

I have a Nolan N100 and like the chin strap easy adjust/disconnect. Also the face shield is made of molded Lexan, very tough and hard to scratch. The air venting system could be better for hot weather, but it does work in a limited way.

Jim