Scotland, 2018. Subtitle: What could possibly go wrong?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 9 - Kingarth to Derby

So, a ferry off the island.

Awaiting the ferry, and loaded on the ferry.

We decide to split up when we disembark. Although some are going in the same direction as others, we have different ideas of routes, and some like to travel a little more quickly than others. So, I travel west to Glasgow, pick up the M74 south, this joins the M6. Miles and miles of motorway, very boring. Doesn't matter whether it's sunny or raining, I set the cruise control to 70 (mph according to the GPS). Except where the limit is lowered because of roadworks, or congestion limiting, then I alter the setting. It's all too easy to get a ticket from a camera (or sequence of cameras. Sometimes there's even a traffic policeman parked on a bridge over the motorway.

I turn off the motorway as soon as practical, head on nicer roads to home.

Today's route

Tomtom's summary (See? never more than 70)

320 miles

Epilogue

So, what could possibly go wrong?

Worst was Son mis-fuelling his bike. As I write this, his bike is at the dealer's in Glasgow, they are awaiting instructions. Son is negotiating with his insurance company, also with the RAC who told him it was all right to ride his bike. If the insurance company do cover it, they may or may not write off the bike, if they write it off, he may buy the bike back off them and attempt a repair (I don't like this). If it's not a write-off, the dealer will presumably repair it. At this point he's not sure he will trust the bike (we're booked to go to Spain in the spring of next year). If the insurance company won't cover it, he may attempt to sue the RAC, not easy for an individual to sue a large organisation, this could drag on for months/years. Meanwhile, he's going to look around for another bike. His choice is severely limited because he is very short, but there are one or two possibilities.

I dropped my bike on the way up. Gentlest of drops, but still scratched plastic. I've covered the worst with some black reflective tape, doesn't look quite as bad.

Not much else went wrong for me apart from the group split on Bute, but in the end no harm done.

However, R (who you may remember likes ferries) and Mi found that their ferries to the Channel Islands were cancelled because of the weather, I quote from his email to us:

Hi guys

I arrived home only 36 hours after I was supposed to, the ferry having been cancelled (Monday) then diverted (Tuesday) with a midnight arrival following a 8:00 am departure ... I am a bit knackered. If you remember, I was supposed to be on the boat Friday [he'd planned on going to the mainland again], but I'm not, as the return from that is cancelled too. Nearly fell asleep at work today.

Trip down was hell. Going the wrong way at Largs (because that's the route I remembered and I didn't want the Satnav to take me to the M74, ... M6 was in a hell of a state and I got hosed on severely whilst in one of the innumerable road works with traffic at a standstill and filtering very hard work at a walking pace mostly, as the lanes are so narrow. I expected to arrive at 5:30 and made it at 7:15. Mi was well after 9:00 in the dark.

So that's about it. Enjoyed the riding, the people the food (and maybe a little drink). No-one had any bike problems (apart from Son, of course), not even any punctures.

All the route in one go

Or:

(Click on image for larger view)

A static map of the whole trip

Tomtom's trip summary, bike's final odometer and bike's trip trip.

1836 miles

MPG: 55.30 (UK) - 46.05 (US) (except for the last 100-odd miles)

Oil consumption - FJR: zero, Monster: most of it.

Ps. We're planning to go to the Shetland Isles in September next year. More ferries ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ride report mcatrophy!I enjoyed it.Thanks for sharing
smile.png

Well done, sir! Nice ride, beautiful scenery, good writeup. Sorry about the problems, but those are what make memories ....

Insurance company has written off Son's Monster. Dealer would charge a huge amount just to investigate the damage, let alone any rectification costs.

Son is buying a Z1000SZ, 3 years old, 6300 miles. He's having it lowered before he rides it out of the dealership.

Dealer piccy (click on image for more):

Is that the European equivalent to the Versys 1000LT? Or the Ninja 1000?

If the Versys 1000, let me tell ya, he's got a good one there. Those are EXCELLENT sport touring motorcycles.

Best of luck. I'll be watching for the Shetland Islands!!!!

Is that the European equivalent to the Versys 1000LT? Or the Ninja 1000?
If the Versys 1000, let me tell ya, he's got a good one there. Those are EXCELLENT sport touring motorcycles.

Best of luck. I'll be watching for the Shetland Islands!!!!
I believe you would know it as the Ninja 1000. Hope it's a good one. Son is very limited by his short stature, this was one of the few he could lift off its side-stand when sitting on it.