Scotts Performance Billet Oil Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajw bikerider

Reaction score
Hello

I am nearing my 600 mi service on my AE and liked what I read (and the looks) of the Scotts billet oil filter...anyone have any experience with it. The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Thanks

AJ

Hello
I am nearing my 600 mi service on my AE and liked what I read (and the looks) of the Scotts billet oil filter...anyone have any experience with it. The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Thanks

AJ
I personally find them just to add to the complexity of an otherwise very simple job. Why would anyone want to clean a oil filter.

Get a new one, install it, ride on!!!

Of course if you like oiling chains, now we can talk :D :blink:

Have one on my '04.Very easy to clean,good looking,and,according to write ups,technically superior.Never have to worry about having,or finding,a filter.

Bought a bunch of Purolator 1 filters at Pep Boys 6 months or so ago... which should last me a while... :thumbsup:

I bought one when my bike was new but never used it after reading about shortcoming of the filtering technology. I use the Purolator Ones now.

Hello

Thanks

AJ
I don't have experience with this particular filter but I have had some experience with this type of filter and the only way you can clean one is with an ultrasonic cleaner. It's a time consuming pain in the ass. There's absolutely no way (in my opinion and experience) that you can clean impacted particulate with the "soak and blow" method. You can make it look clean on the outside but that's about it. There's much better things you can spend your farkle money on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

Thanks

AJ
I don't have experience with this particular filter but I have had some experience with this type of filter and the only way you can clean one is with an ultrasonic cleaner. It's a time consuming pain in the ass. There's absolutely no way (in my opinion and experience) that you can clean impacted particulate with the "soak and blow" method. You can make it look clean on the outside but that's about it. There's much better things you can spend your farkle money on.
Impacted? I clean my Scotts with a spray of carb cleaner and air and it is sparkling in seconds. I think you might have to ask yourself why many turbine aircraft filers are of this type.

Hello

Thanks

AJ
Impacted? I clean my Scotts with a spray of carb cleaner and air and it is sparkling in seconds. I think you might have to ask yourself why many turbine aircraft filers are of this type.
Because they handle high pressure hydraulics better than paper. And they're not reused. I used to be a turbine aircraft mechanic and now I run a power plant based on a turbine aircraft engine. :rolleyes: Betchya can't guess what kind of oil I use! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one, and overall like it.

Pros:

No need to hunt down filters or spend dosh.

Looks great versus a stock filter

Has a built in magnet

Cons:

Makes a simple oil change a little more complex in that you have to clean the filter, which is not a big deal with a compressor

You have to use their filter wrench or a strap wrench so as not to mar the bling

$99 buys a lot of stock filters

I really found no issue cleaning it with gasoline and compressed air. I'm going to try carb cleaner per someones recent suggestion. As far as filtering characteristics, I think it performs equally to a paper filter.

IMHO, my 2 cents...

I imagine they worked great in the 30's and 40's. Technology today? Probably ain't worth a shit or the time it takes to clean them. They are still used on aircraft today but my company has changed over to just changing the filter since you have them off anyways. Funny how the higher ups always want to see the oil filters coming off these engines. Not one of them have changed an oil filter in their lives. Damn silver spoon fed clowns.........that pay my bills. Oh, nevermind. I'll shut up now. :oops:

As far as filtering characteristics, I think it performs equally to a paper filter.
Since it is an oil filter I would count this as the most important quality. Where do you get your info? I find it interesting that the only source that I have seen that says that they filter as good as a standard filter that costs $5 is the manufacturer's site.

Hey, maybe it just looks cool. I can live with that. It is billet, right? Gotta look cool ifn it's billet. :p

I have a Scotts filter on my US '03. It has about 25,000 miles on it with no problems.

I have had no trouble cleaning the filter at oil change time.

I have used Mobil1 since about 5oo miles.

I think the only real advantages are convenience-you don't have to go buy a filter-and Bling.