Scratches on my 07 gas tank!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryS

Reaction score
What the heck??? Is there any freakin' magnetic tank bag that doesn't scratch the crap out of the paint?

No. Yamaha paint is very fragile.. I tried. Really tried... but still the mag bag scratched the paint. Now I cover the tank top with blue painters tape... sure, it's ugly, but who the #$%@ cares?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to find the bike that won't be scratched by a magnetic tank bag (or the bag that won't scratch for that matter).

Get a tankslapper kit on there pronto.

I've yet to find the bike that won't be scratched by a magnetic tank bag (or the bag that won't scratch for that matter).
Get a tankslapper kit on there pronto.
remember that they no longer offer the "color-matchced" protection, which doesn't match. and the tank bra does not protect the top of the tank.

I like CarverTape. It looks gay (actually it is gay), but works pretty well.
okay, i googled "carver tape" and "carvertape", i have no f'in idea what yer talkin' about...

I like CarverTape. It looks gay (actually it is gay), but works pretty well.
okay, i googled "carver tape" and "carvertape", i have no f'in idea what yer talkin' about...
051024l.jpg

The master at work. :clapping: :lol:

Sorry, Dean (dcarver's post)

try using tool box liner. It's that rubber based waffle looking material.

the thing that happens is that dirt and derbis gets between the tank bag and the tank surface and causes abrasion.

Jerry, if you go to a hardware store, in the paint section, they carry a blue colored tape that is used for taping edges when painting. The glue on that tape is not as "tough" as say, masking tape, so the blue tape can be pulled of easily without leaving residue. That tape is what Dcarver used to protect the top of his tank so that the magnetic tankbag was resting on the tape rather than directly on his tank.

My comment about "doilies" was tongue-in-cheek, but I actually use something I made. At the grocery store (or Walmart, Target, any home center, etc.) they sell a "shelf liner" that is a non-slip, mesh-type soft ABS plastic. I bought a roll of the dark blue color and traced my tankbag shape onto it. Then I cut it a little larger than the tankbag base and cut it out. I use it between the bag and tank. It doesn't slip and is easily removed and replaced when I lift the "bag" during fuel stops.

EDIT:

It's that rubber based waffle looking material.
That's the stuff...it looks like we posted at the same time with the same idea.

I've never used any of the clear 3M Scotchgard paint protectant film, but wonder if it might be of any use to put under the tank bag...

I did a search and found this SUPPOSED custom fit application for the FJR: Invisible Bra (in no way affiliated and as noted, never tried it).

I'm guessing the 3M material itself could be picked up at a lower price (paint shop, eBay, etc.) to just fit the area the tank bag comes in contact with for a much more reasonable price. Anyone tried any of this stuff??

I have a magnetic tank bag coming, and really want to try and keep the paint job as nice as possible at least for a little while.

Jerry, if you go to a hardware store, in the paint section, they carry a blue colored tape that is used for taping edges when painting. The glue on that tape is not as "tough" as say, masking tape, so the blue tape can be pulled of easily without leaving residue. That tape is what Dcarver used to protect the top of his tank so that the magnetic tankbag was resting on the tape rather than directly on his tank.
My comment about "doilies" was tongue-in-cheek, but I actually use something I made. At the grocery store (or Walmart, Target, any home center, etc.) they sell a "shelf liner" that is a non-slip, mesh-type soft ABS plastic. I bought a roll of the dark blue color and traced my tankbag shape onto it. Then I cut it a little larger than the tankbag base and cut it out. I use it between the bag and tank. It doesn't slip and is easily removed and replaced when I lift the "bag" during fuel stops.

EDIT:

It's that rubber based waffle looking material.
That's the stuff...it looks like we posted at the same time with the same idea.

using blue masking tape would look gay to me. But... using the rubbery shelf liner stuff seems like that would work. Although, my tank is all scratched up already. What's the best way to get rid of the scratches??

While every little bit will help, it doesn't appear that the Tankslapper would neccessarily cover the entire area of the tank where the tank bag and it's magnetic base outriggers might rest...does it?

3M protector would work best IMO specifically for the tank bag issue.

Magknight seems to work well for the knee scratching problem.

I don't use anything...I'll just repaint my tank if I think it's that important.

The first scrathes on my FJR REALLY disappointed me...now I'm used to them

I've never used any of the clear 3M Scotchgard paint protectant film, but wonder if it might be of any use to put under the tank bag...

I'm guessing the 3M material itself could be picked up at a lower price (paint shop, eBay, etc.) to just fit the area the tank bag comes in contact with for a much more reasonable price. Anyone tried any of this stuff??

I have a magnetic tank bag coming, and really want to try and keep the paint job as nice as possible at least for a little while.

I use the 3M stuff. I buy it from www.xpel.com -- i use it on the tank, on the bags (from my foot kicking them on the way over) and on the front-- bugs and rocks. I use it on my car too. With practice the stuff is a joke to put on. I love this stuff. And after baking on my black car for 3 year, it pulls off and the paint is new underneath! I cannot say enough good about the boys at xpel, and the product itself. I buy it by the roll. I would recommend the weekender buy the starter kit, which gives you a little squeegy and rag along with your purchase. For a bike, you can get away with a 5 foot length of 12" stuff (8mil) for 30 bucks.

They also have installation videos on the site.....very helpful!

OK, when I try www.expel.com I can get colon cleaning kits, but no 3m stuff. What am I not doing right?