Sears Trunk WTF?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyronealfonso

Reaction score
Ok, so after seeing that the Sears trunk fits on the Givi E228 rack in several threads, I went ahead and ordered the smaller one and the Givi rack.

Yesterday when I went to put on the trunk, the damn thing doesn't fit because the holes for the rear tabs don't line up with the tabs on the E228 rack. Are the holes on the large Sears trunk wider than the ones on the smaller trunk? Would the Yamaha rack work? This is lame.

Ok, so after seeing that the Sears trunk fits on the Givi E228 rack in several threads, I went ahead and ordered the smaller one and the Givi rack.
Yesterday when I went to put on the trunk, the damn thing doesn't fit because the holes for the rear tabs don't line up with the tabs on the E228 rack. Are the holes on the large Sears trunk wider than the ones on the smaller trunk? Would the Yamaha rack work? This is lame.
I'll have to go back and check, but I think most of those that got the Sears box ordered the larger size. That may make a difference with what it can mount to. I ordered the large box (should be here by Monday) and plan to rig my own mount. My dad has a milling machine, so I'll fabricate something out of thin plastic as a template, then send it up to him to for a final aluminum version. Should be pretty straight forward. Can you send the Givi rack back?

I never thought the two Sears cases would have different size mounting plates. Doesn't make much sense.

I have the larger case mounted on the Givi E228 plate.

Yes the large and small trunks have different mounting tab spacing. I have both trunks, the large fits fine on Givi-type racks but the small only mounts on the rack it came with. I bolted the small sears rack to my SW-Motech rack, mounted up the small box, and it works fine.