Seat Adjustment Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Boo

Reaction score
I've only had the bike a week and it's rained most of the time so I only have a few hundred miles seat time, but it feels like the seat is tipped forwards and sliding me into the tank. Today I tried to put the front of the seat in the high position and the back of the seat in the low position to be more level, but that didn't turn out so well. I'm not ready to perform surgery on the seat brackets yet. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

On a side note I added OES frame sliders as my first farkle and I ground 1 pin off the bottom of each handlebar so I can rotate them outwards as my fist mod.

Lots of folk complain about the stock seat sliding them forward, very common complaint. I certainly had that problem (among others) with the stock seat. I haven't heard of anyone putting the front of the seat in a higher position than the back of the seat on an FJR. My last bike was a ST-1300 and it was very common on that bike, but the mounting mechanisms are much different. On the ST, you could just put the front of the seat in the high position and bend the seat pan and force the rear of the seat into the middle position rear brackets. That did help some. The FJR mechanism is a plastic rack that sits on top of the subframe. And the rear of the seat locks into place on the catch mechanism. It would be easy enough to remove or shorten the rubber bumpers on the rear of the drivers seat, but the rear for the drivers seat is bolted under a support bracket that welded to subframe. You would have to lower that catch mechanism (maybe with spacers) by the same amount. Not sure that would all work out and not sure how your drivers seat/pillion interface would work either. It would be much simpler to take the cover off the driver's seat and shape the foam by sanding and then just put seat cover back on. You probably know that seat foam sands well either by hand or with a power sander. I have shaped lots of seat foam and usually start with about 80 grit and my belt sander on the slowest speed. If you need to take out more then an electric knife is a better place to start. With some patience and a light touch, you can achieve pretty good results. I usually finish with hand sanding to round and smooth the edges and then just staple the seat cover back on. I've shaped both dirtbike and streetbike seats like this. If you're not comfortable with that, a local upholstery shop can do it for you for maybe $50 bucks. Don't forget to have them sand out a bit of a pocket to keep your HQ in place. Good luck!