SEAT Choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the most popular seat with FJR riders

• 1. Corbin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Diamond

• 3. Rich's Custom

• 4. Bill Mayer

• 5. Rick Mayer

• 6. Russell

• 7. Yamaha stock

• 8. Personal Custom

• 9. OtherHow many miles ridden?

• Total voters
P

paupton

If I keep the FJR I want to get rid of the seat burn. I am heavy and short but like to do long rides. This stock seat is killing me. Too much pressure on the center of seat and hurting tail bone. Also does any of the custom seat people make their own seat pan or do they use the stock pan? Looking for answers

I have only tried stock and the Corbin that I bought. I am certain there are better, but I can't seem to bring myself to spend another $600 without being able to actually sit on one and see for myself. I already made that mistake with the one I have. So for me ......... it is difficult to vote for any of them without having any first hand knowledge of the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't trade my Sargent for any other seat I've had exposure to. That includes most of these listed above. I haven't ridden all of them but I have sat on them. After 9,000 miles on my Sargent, I'm completely satisfied with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock seat nearly crippled my ass. So I bought a Sargent and like it better but it still makes me sit a little too close to the tank. I can ride for 250 -300 miles now without tears dripping out of my helmet. I'd like to just have the seat tilted back a few degrees but it's MUCH better than stock. I might try an Alaska leather sheepskin seat cover just for giggles. I just blame my bitchiness on having a bony old butt and I don't like sitting in the same position too long. Damn, gettin' old sucks and I'm not done riding yet.

I plan to order a Sargent next week. I like the looks of it on this bike vs most other non-OEM seats. If it turns out that's not good enough, I'll order an AirHawk or sheepskin.

Should have included Sargent in your poll.

I added sheepskin to the stock seat before the wife and I left on vacation last year. Before the trip was thru, the sheepskin came back off. Just didn't notice any real difference. Bought a Corbin close right after we got back. This was a real improvement over stock. Rode with the Corbin for several month, but it too started to cause aches and pains after about 100 miles. So, I bit the bullet and ordred a Russell built for two. WOW!! Now this is what I call a seat! Very comfy, I've put 400 miles in it in a day and NO pain whatsoever, for me or the wife. Great investment, wish I'd done it to begin with. Live and learn.

Mike

The stock seat was comfortable for me, but after an hour or two, my arse was burning. No, it wasn't because the bike runs hot, it was burning due to lack of blood circulation. As soon as I got off the bike and took a few steps, the burning was gone. Back on the bike, burning was back in about 20 minutes.

I researched seat improvement options for weeks. Looked at the sheepskin cover, Airhawk, Corbin and Sargent options. Finally settled on a beaded seat cover. It looks a bit goofy, but works wonderfully (for me!). I can now ride for much longer periods of time without any arse burn. The beads keep my rear elevated off the seat just enough to allow air to flow underneath, keeping me cooler and preventing any direct pressure that would reduce blood circulation.

I'm certain that a Corbin or Sargent seat would have attained the same results, but at a much higher cost.

Take a look at the BeadRider website: https://www.beadrider.com/

Ride Safe!

Last edited:
Woodstock,

Hmm... I ordered the size the site recommended for the FJR, pretty sure it's 12" x 12". Let me check real quick......Yes, the size for the riders seat is 12" x 12". There are some photos on the site that will give you an idea of what the beads look like. I've found this option works for ME, but may not work well for others.

I took a chance and it worked out...the company states if you're not happy, they will refund your purchase. Seemed like a good deal to me.

Last edited:
Heavily modified Corbin.

Original Corbin was WAyyyyy too hard and much tooo wide.

Reformed to be more similar to stock Yamaha.

Used dense uphostery foam, gel, Cover batting for smooth finish.

Passenger is much happier.

My Sargent came in 4 days after I finished a 7000 mile ride. Thats the only thing I have against it so far.

Its a great improvement over the stocker and much better than a previously owned Corbin on the FJR. It also has storage compartments under the rider and passenger sections that I wasn't aware of when I ordered so it was a cool surprise.

I haven't been on it any longer than 2 1/2 hours so far but zero but burn. Seat looks a hell of a lot better too.

My experience with the stocker mirrored Rentroo's as far as the butt burn.

A sheep skin purchased along the way at Aerostich in Duluth Minn. only helped minimally but was better than nothing. I'd have sooner spent the extra $70 for the AirHawk knowing what I do now.

Haven't tried the sheepskin with the Sargent yet, saving that trick for Reno next year I'd guess ! :D