SEAT Choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the most popular seat with FJR riders

• 1. Corbin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Diamond

• 3. Rich's Custom

• 4. Bill Mayer

• 5. Rick Mayer

• 6. Russell

• 7. Yamaha stock

• 8. Personal Custom

• 9. OtherHow many miles ridden?

• Total voters
I just got my new-to-me-'04 FJR the day before yesterday from a fellow in Southern California. I live in Northern California, 503 miles to the north. I have a Russell seat on my other ST bike, a Concours. I love that seat! I rode all the way to Alaska on it. In one hop, I rode from Prince George to Roseburg, OR spending 12 hours in the saddle and stopping only for gas. So, as you can see, there is nothing like a Russell. My rump loves my Russell.

I was prepared to suffer in riding back to San Francisco with the new bike, which came with a Corbin seat on it. (I think it was a dealer option, but I'm not sure.) But I was surprised to find that I remained very comfortable the whole way up. The Corbin is much firmer than my Russell but I was surprised to find it not bone jarring in the least. It was a good ride. FWIW and YMMV.

Bob

Yep, cost of a Russell is only obstacle.

I have tried both Corbin, Canyon and Close. Both nice, but both too hard and only a notch or two above the stock.

Tried a $10 airpad (cheap Airhawk) and love it on the slab. Hate it in any twisties.

Russell is in my future.

QUOTE (Yambone @ Aug 28 2005, 08:08 PM) Modified stock seat with Temperfoam insert. Love it! Let your conscience be your guide.

chopped stock seat

Temperfoam laminate 

Yambone would like more info please. JB
JB, heres a link to procedure:

https://groups.msn.com/IronHorseFJR/stockse...snw?albumlist=2

Note, if you do this, use an electric knife. Also, Trinibob carved a chunk out of his stocker, put in a gel pack and did a much prettier job. You might contact him if interested in that concept.

I've hacked my stocker these past couple of weeks. Looks like a pillow now. Better but not great. My dealer had a returned Corbin that I am trying out going down to EOM. But I like this aircraft foam thing. I also added gel to the stock, but boy is it hot. current layout is stock foam dished out. added gel pad. added 1" multi-particle foam. then 2" memory foam. definitely looks goofy.

Dave

My experience is limited with aftermarket seats. My conclusion thus far is that it all depends on how much you want to spend to be uncomfortable.

The FJR stock seat is pretty darn good!

The Corbin is nice, a bit wide. Only purchased it because I wanted a backrest and no trunk.

I will keep the stock seat on my 06 when she arrives...

Flylooper Bob, SATISFACTORY. My Corbin is as hard as the XSGNH!! My Russell Daylong is magnificent after over 25K miles and 3 Iron Butt Certified rides.

What sayeth the Brothers??

Spent the entire weekend on my bike after installing the Sargent I got on Friday.

Not one time during the many hours of traffic, triple digit speeds or just plain cruising did the netherquarters feel uncomfortable.

Fit and finish is peerless, the backrest I got is great and fits well, and the extra storage compartments underneath the driver and passenger seats is a nice thing to have.

I've a heavely modified Rick Mayer. One of thease lifetimes I'll try the Russell. So many say such great things about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been riding with a Corbin Close for 2 years and was about ready to give up on it but then decided to stop by the factory in Holister and give em one more chance. They cut out all of the foam in the area where both the rider and passenger sit and replaced with the same foam but this time the foam was allowed to raise on it's own. They said that when the seat was originally made they injected the foam into a mold and it was therefore denser. I can now easily press my fingers an inch or more into the seat and the ride is considerably softer. I no longer feel like my ars bones are welded to the frame. My longest ride is 350 miles with the new foam and I felt like I could have done another 350 miles. They can also reshape the seat to move your position away from the tank if needed. If you have a hard Corbin I suggest you send it back or better yet take a ride to one of their factories. The Holister facility is pretty cool with vintage and modern bikes in the show room and a little cafe inside the shop. If time is an issue make an appointment.

I have been satisfied with the stock seat. So far my longest day on the bike has been about 400 miles, about 8 hours. At first I found myself sliding up close to the tank and I got used to riding that way for the first couple of months. Since then I started sliding back in the seat and leaning on my arms a little more. Both positions are OK and it is nice to have a couple of different riding positions to switch to when riding for a long time.

I especially like to slide my butt back and lean on the bars when riding in the twisties.

When I look at the pictures of the after market seats some of you are using, Most of them look comfortable but they appear to restrict you to sitting in one spot on the seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I keep the FJR I want to get rid of the seat burn. I am heavy and short but like to do long rides. This stock seat is killing me. Too much pressure on the center of seat and hurting tail bone. Also does any of the custom seat people make their own seat pan or do they use the stock pan? Looking for answers
I have a Sargent. Have a Rick Mayers coming, build date is Nov 17th. I too had severe butt pain to the point that after 15 minutes it hurt to even come to a stop and lift off of the seat. I tried the sheep skin, nothing. The Sargeant makes it maybe twice as good. Of course I can't tell you anything in comparison to the Mayers because I haven't gotten it yet.

What I can say is that with the Sargeant and a pair of dirt bike shorts that has the pads in the butt bone area I can ride and ride and ride. They cost about $50 and are worth it but be warned they do get hot but my rear end thanks me.

https://evs-sports.com/products/?prodCategory=10

I have the PP05 but the PP02 has the buttbone pad and hip and is probably all you need.. Works for me...

Stock seat works just fine for me. Have ridden a few 500 mile days on it with no butt discomfort.

I have a Sargent and it was fantastic for the first 2,000-2,500 miles. I think I'm too heavy for it (230#) and the foam "packed down" and it was no longer comfortable for over 4-5 hours in a day. My Russell was delivered this week, I ordered it set up for my weight and it should last longer.

B) I just got my new Russel and put 1150 miles on it and guess what ? No more Monkey Butt.

Thanks, Dan.

update. I got the Corbin from my dealer. first time on it I did the 430 miles to EOM05. Need I say more. Hard as a rock to the touch, but ride in the saddle.

I can't sit on anything for hours on end (not even a recliner), but I really think my Rick Mayer is about as comfortable as anything I could ever imagine on a bike. Had stock and Corbrick, no thanks.

as far as the stocker was concerned it suuuuuucked,,,

I now have a Corbin/Yammi that I bought from a forum member ,, I have 7000 miles on it and it is working fine for my wide track bum ,, I can slide forward on it in sharp twisties and the bucket is great for long distance ,, it works great for me ! as far as it being too hard ,, the first 6 > 800 miles a little hard then it broke right in ,,