Seat cushion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don2334

Reaction score
I was in Costco the other day and they had a memory foam seat cushion with a jell insert that is supposed to help keep your rear end cool. It was $15.00 so I figured I would give it a try. Today I rode about 150 miles with very little discomfort and for about the first hour the cooling jell worked pretty good too. I am going to try it again on a longer ride but it looks promising.

Don

LOL. Well, good luck. I bought the exact same cushion last year--$15 at Costco. I kind of liked the feel of it, and the gel gave a "sort of" cool sensation. But what happened is the gel pad is in a separate pouch cut into the foam of the pad, and it kind of curled up in there so it was lumpy under my butt. And you couldn't get inside to smooth it out. I finally cut the fabric cover to flatten out the gel bag, but it just kept happening. And as some point, the gel leaked out of the bag and left a white residue on the seat. It had to go.

Maybe yours will be better, but what it gave me was the idea that I'd like to try an Airhawk to try and get the same benefit but made for the purpose. Too bad they're not just $15. By the way, for a cooler, less sweaty ride (and surprisingly comfortable too), I like my Bead Rider.

LOL. Well, good luck. I bought the exact same cushion last year--$15 at Costco. I kind of liked the feel of it, and the gel gave a "sort of" cool sensation. But what happened is the gel pad is in a separate pouch cut into the foam of the pad, and it kind of curled up in there so it was lumpy under my butt. And you couldn't get inside to smooth it out. I finally cut the fabric cover to flatten out the gel bag, but it just kept happening. And as some point, the gel leaked out of the bag and left a white residue on the seat. It had to go.

Maybe yours will be better, but what it gave me was the idea that I'd like to try an Airhawk to try and get the same benefit but made for the purpose. Too bad they're not just $15. By the way, for a cooler, less sweaty ride (and surprisingly comfortable too), I like my Bead Rider.
Mike,

I'm trying to find either an Airhawk (first choice) or Beadrider dealer here in the Sacramento area. Is there one? Doing a fly and ride on Tuesday for an 09 Bonneville in Oregon and have a 675 mile ride to do on what is a pretty poor stock seat. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Airhawk and like it very much. The interior consists of several interconnected air cells, easily adjustable. Exterior is fabric.

Airhawk guarantees to extend your riding time by 50%, or 2 hours, or some such nonsense, don't put any stock in that, but it will make your ride much more comfortable.

They are pricey but shopping around on line can save you some $.

I've got a Beadrider. Works great for increasing airflow "down there" on hot days, but haven't tested it on really long days to see how it holds up.

I've got both a BeadRider and an Alaskan Butt Pad that I use on a Corbin; I pack both on long rides but generally only use one at a time (I think some folks have used both at the same time). The beads do a great job at circulating air and they are fairly comfortable. My ABP does pretty much the same thing, but offers a completely different feeling. They are easy enough to swap out and have extended my range greatly...I think I favor the ABP just a bit, but the beads are growing on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an airhawk. I keep it in one of my side bags. I love the thing. I usually start a long ride out without the airhawk. It makes for a nice relief when I put it on the bike.

ed

For me, the beads work good. I just came home last weekend from a 3500 mile ride and thought the leather Bill Mayer saddle would do the trick, so I left the beads at home. Big mistake. Anything that provides ventilation under your butt on warm days will help you go the distance. At first beads seem uncomfortable but they grow on you, and after a while you'll just leave them on year round. This last week I cut off some of the Bead Rider beads to correctly size it for my saddle since it was previously used for another bike.

I use the beads on the stock seat. Don't love the look of them but at 200 miles w/o them the pain sets in. Easy to take on and off so I only use them on longer rides.

Any problems using the bead-style cushion on a Corbin, does it leave (lasting)impressions from the beads? Or would the sheepskin type be a better choice?

Any problems using the bead-style cushion on a Corbin, does it leave (lasting)impressions from the beads? Or would the sheepskin type be a better choice?
Impression is NOT "lasting." It fades away after a short time (like when I take my beads off when weather turns cool). Think of the creases on your cheek when you wake up sometimes--they just go away after a while, in the same way. This answer is not Corbin-specific, but still applies.

Somebody asked about a local Beadrider or Alaska leather dealer in/near Sacramento. It's a close as your keyboard. Only way I know to get either.