Seat foam question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockymntfjr

Reaction score
Has any one tried the Sargent super cell foam in a stock seat? I'm looking for a inexpensive way to improve comfort. The Sargent foam looks different from the Spruce Aircraft foam. I still want a Russell seat someday but untill then I'm going DIY. Has any one tried a Sargent seat?

Thanks, Andy

Andy - BLUF, no I don't know.

But I can tell you that I have the Rick Mayer seat - he uses different densities of foam and I love the seat. Switched seats a couple of weeks ago with a fellow Feejerete (after I'd already ridden about 200 mi, her seat was "stock") and my butt was absolutely killin' me after about 25 miles. Probably isn't cheap, but I'm pretty sure Rick will redo your stock seat w/his foam - the cheapest option he offers. You can go on his site and get a degree on foam, maybe that'll help you choosing what to do.

Jim

Andy, I recently went from a stock seat to the Sargeant...its a definite improvement...at first , the Sargeant felt strange, but now after 3K miles, its feeling pretty good. It's more firm than the stock, which for me is great. If you have any experience with cruisers and Mustang seats, that's the way it feels to me. Hope this helps.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Andy,

I'm in the process of modifying my stock seat. I have a 3" pnuematic disc grinder (body/fender tool) that grinds the foam away pretty well. Also have a 1/2" crown pnuematic stapler for reattaching the cover.

I made a carboard template of a corbin seat on my BMW, and a template of the stock FJR seat, and compromised between the two with a third template. Bought some dacron topping material and spray contact adhesive from the upholstery supply shop.

Basically I'm dishing out the FJR seat so the slope from the back edge forward is steeper, and the main butt area is deeper. There is plenty of foam depth to work with.

It'll be done in a few days, and I'll know how it turns out then.

Well I've tried sheepskin, beads, AirHawk, Corbin & now a Sargent SuperCell "insert." Problem is, it's due any day now so I can't comment yet. Once received I'll repost. I'm figuring its got to be better than everything else I've tried so far & at $150 its almost reasonable (probably less than an hour of work though).

I plan on keeping the Corbin & backrest for 2-up and using the stock with Sargent foam for the other 95% of the time.

Andy, I put a 2" layer of "Memory Foam" in my seat that I purchased from an aircraft supply company. I also changed the profile a little makind more of a pocket to eliminate the constent sliding ahead problem and added a little to the rear of the seat to provide a bit of support to the backside. I have a bunch of photos but I cant figure out how to post them here. Makes a big difference ! John

I got my front seat back together after dishing out the stock foam, and got to try it today. It's a good improvement over stock. The seat is now about 3/4" deeper than original and slightly concave from side to side.

I'm slender, 6'1" and 160 lbs, so seating comfort is less of an issue than it might be with some of you big dogs.

It was fun, looks good, and does take some sculpting skill with the air tool I used.

When it quits raining for more than 8 hours, a 300 mile ride will be revealing.

I went form a stock seat (was killing me after short time) to a Sargent seat. The Sargent is a 100% improvement for my 6'2", 200 lb body.

Never been on Russell or Mayer so can't compare to Sargent but I hear both of these seats are the cat's meow!

Andy, put this out before, but I like the Saddlemen Gel. Get it in a pad for the top of your seat, get an insert and you can install or send it to Saddlemen and have them put it in or get a seat from them custom made to fit you. My $.02 worth. Hope this helped. :D PM. <><

Saddlemen Clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't care for the Sargent and resold it. I have the heated Corbin and really am pleased with it so far.

Yes, I sent my stocker to Sargeant for the treatment...night and day difference! I went with the supercell front and rear, had them dish the front and narrow the thigh area, recover in griptex, add a colored welt, and they even redid my backrest pad to match. I'm a "bang for the buck" kinda guy and this was just the ticket. I was lucky enough to get in when they were having a 25% off sale on all custom seat work...it was a steal, feels infinitely better than stock, and it looks fantastic. I'd do it again without hesitation.

My $.02, YMMV,

DD,

How did you find out about the 25% Sargeant Sale? I just checked their site, and didn't see a mailing list or similar.

Thanks in advance.

DD,
How did you find out about the 25% Sargeant Sale?  I just checked their site, and didn't see a mailing list or similar.
Ya know, I don't actually recall now if someone on this board brought it to my attention (I think that may have been the case), or if I just stumbled onto it by pure dumb luck. They were having a sale for the whole month of November (their slow season, I think), 25% off all custom seat work...I was on that like stink on stink! :D Honestly though, even at regular price I think it would have been a very good value for the $$$ spent. It's just a waaaay better value at 25% off! :D The Corbin it replaced was an absolute piece of crap by comparison! I've owned at least 5 Corbin seats over the last few decades and I assure you, never again will a Corbin seat darken my garage.

The workmanshipp on the Sargeant is outstanding and it doesn't look like a John Deere tractor seat like some I've seen.

Here's a decent pic of the whole combo:

2694IMG_2703-med.JPG

I've just talked to soooo many other people in the past who switched over to Sargeant seats and say they're customers for life now. Now I know why.

I got the first seat Sargent made for the FJR and I've been a happy camper ever since. I rode on the Russel and the Mayer and a few others. The Sargent was the one that felt best to me initially and has proven to maintain that comfort level over the long haul, including a number of 500 to 600 mile days. Try as many as you can, as everybody has their own wants and needs and no one seat is best for all.

DD,

Yeah, that's a fine looking seat for sure. When the farkle fund fills up a bit, that's something I need to think aboiut. My creaky old legs start to feel a bit uncomfortable after 45 minutes or so in the saddle of steady droning. I'm thinking a 1/2 to 3/4 inch height increase would help a bit.

DD -

So what did Sargent charge you for the redo on your seat, if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited by a moderator: