Seat Mods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck35

Reaction score
This morning I stumbled across some info on seat mods,

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Seats.html#DIYSeat

This looks pretty simple, inexpensive...and best of all, no down time!

Of particular interest is the pad they offer to add heated seats.

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Heatedprod.html

I was wondering how to control the seat? can it be tied into my grip warmers (oem) so as not to drain the battery at low speeds?

Can they be modulated like the warmers (maybe even thru the same controller)? or is it either on or off?

so many farkles, so little fundage...

Don't think I'd tie it to the grip warmers for the simple fact your arse is gonna insulate far better than your hands if only because it's outa the wind rush.

Lets see? do I roast me nuts or freeze me fingers? Plus yer south of Hotlanta? Do ya really need something like this?

I'd go a separate controller for the seat .

Do I NEED it? naa...I wouldn't have paid extra for the grip warmers, but I love em! Even if I can tie the seat into the warmers, a kill switch for it might be a good idea.

Just bustin balls man.. we all acclimate to our environment ;) cold to you in the south, is mild or, even warm to us snowbirds..

I think it's best if you separate them though, the wiring most likely isn't "up to the task" and an isolated control would be a bit nicer. ;)

Cold here is not seeing the ice on the road an landing on yer head in a 4 foot snowdrift.. :blink: shit!

We get a week of 80's startin tomorrow.

I moved down here almost 2 decades ago to get away from ice. Since I chose to be here, I don't feel I have the right to bitch about the sweltering heat. But I can do something about it! I just ordered a phase change cooling vest ($85 with a spare set of inserts) I couldn't pass that one up! It may prove useful for mowing my lawn at 100 degrees as well.

Let the topic drift commence!

This is one of the first seat mods I saw in 06 when I built my first seat. I ended up just building a complete seat using a medium firm base foam, medium center, and a layer completely on top of Tempur or what some call Pudgee foam. This is some good stuff originally used by NASA and for those who are wheel chair bound. Also use a thin sheet of wisper foam as the final layer so you have a smooth finish before stapling the cover on.

I've ridden 1000 mile days on this seat with some good success. And that's huge considering my arthritic body and chronic pain. I've got plans to build a better version in the near future.

But this mod you mention is better than stock IMO. It's just worth it to me if I'm going to this much effort and have the tools and supplies out why not experiment and make a complete seat. One could retain the stock seat if the experimental one didn't work out.

And the heating element looks good and I'm sure there are other elements out there and no reason they couldn't be controlled by a heat troller separated of course. Sorry didn't mean to ramble. PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give it time Chuck the West coast drunkards are just now awakening. Plus some of the smart guys here may have suggestions on how to go aboot wiring everything and may have part #'s

I gotta crawl to the rack. :dribble:

I did this to my seat when I ripped out the gel insert and would not do it again! The square cut out hurt after a hundred or so miles It was worse than the gel burning my ass after sitting out all day in the sun.

Hey Cibrd0wn, about that gel seat... Did you find the comfort level satisfactory? I just got my FJR two months ago and have been interested in the gel seat as I like the look of the OEM rather than the big wide Hoveround saddles, and the OEM foam is a bit hard for me (2hr stint/break).

The gel was not to bad. I never got uncomfortable on the seat. The gel does get very hot sitting in the sun all day. I didn't I have shade while parking the bike at work and after 15 min of a 40 min ride home I would need to stand up. Day rides never seemed to be a problem. The Russell is great!

Chuck, the CalSci heaters come with an on off switch you can install wherever (side of seat?). Uses standard coaxial quickconnects so you can further adjust with any heating controller designed for electrics.

Cibrd0wn, thanks for the info. Gonna try it and if it doesn't work out, go from there.

There is a place in Columbus, Bikes2NV.com, that gave me a quote to gel my OEM. Found their ad in the latest Cycle World. They look pretty serious about seats in general, albeit mostly custom choppers and the like. Anyone have experience w/ them?