seat question for guys w/in a days ride of KC

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee B.

Reaction score
I've got an '08 and had the stock seat reworked by Spencer last winter. I've done the breakin and still find it lacking so I'm searching for other options.

I have done some research here and sort of settled on the BMS. However, I think I may try one other alternative before dropping over $400 and taking a chance on a seat that isn't custom made (since I don't want to do a ride-in to west coast seat builders).

The alternative is to try a local place that reworks seats. They reworked a seat on a friends KTM and I saw a dozen seats in progress when I visited the shop. They were reluctant, understandably, to give me anything but a ballpark but said the drivers seat would probably be between $100 and $200. I showed them pictures of aftermarket seats and they felt they could do the job. They also said that once they did the initial shaping they'd let me test it w/o the cover for as long as I wanted, that they'd continue shaping it for me up to the point that I was satisfied and then they'd cover it. Once covered they said any reworking would cost me some additional $$. The seats I saw that they had done were very well done but I have no idea how they'd feel.

This endeavor got me to thinking and wondering how many FJR owners are w/in reasonable ride-in distance of KC and what the interest might be. Or I guess I'm wondering what this place's market might be. I've got no interest in the company and will publish my results if I decide to go forward.

The next step is for me to go back in with the FJR and some more pictures. I also had a cruiser with a mustang seat that I really liked. I know, different bike, different seat but I know the guy that bought that bike and I think I may go by there and take some pictures and measuremetns of that seat to try to determine the size of the "scoop" I want them to shape for me. I may even take that seat in when I ride the FJR in so they can see what previously fit me. If they can improve the stock seat for less than $200 I'll probably give them a try.

I imagine that a lot of forum members might be interested in the outcome since the whole topic of seats is really popular, individual, opinion laden. But what I really would like to know is how many are fairly close (300 miles?) to KC and also are unhappy with their seats and might want to give this place a try if it does the trick for me?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am only 2 hrs away. Do you know if they install new foam and leather covers or just rework the foam and reinstall the original cover?

I have a Russell, rider and pillion, but I'm happy with it. However, I wanted to get a stock seat set to put on when I'm commuting so that I'm not putting the Russell out in the elements and further wearing it out...I might consider having that stock set re-done just a bit...maybe :)

I live south in Iola, Kansas. I already have a BMS seat on my 06 and very happy with it.
Did you ride in for your BMS? It is top on my list of the standard upgrades. As you know, none of them are local.

Thanks for the response and input.

I am only 2 hrs away. Do you know if they install new foam and leather covers or just rework the foam and reinstall the original cover?
I think this is a total redo, new foam, new cover. The rework and recover with original is what Spencer did that didn't help me enough.

Are you totally stock now?

I have a Russell, rider and pillion, but I'm happy with it. However, I wanted to get a stock seat set to put on when I'm commuting so that I'm not putting the Russell out in the elements and further wearing it out...I might consider having that stock set re-done just a bit...maybe :)
Forgive me for not searching...did you do a ride in for the Russell?

Forgive me for not searching...did you do a ride in for the Russell?
No. I mailed 'em in over the winter of '07. After the break-in period and ever since, I've loved the rider seat. None of the pillions have complained either.

I think this is a total redo, new foam, new cover. The rework and recover with original is what Spencer did that didn't help me enough.

Are you totally stock now?

I am currently using a corbin. Although I have traveled comfortably literally all day with it...the seat could be a little softer! Also, after 27K miles, there is a slight wear spot in the leather. Neither issue is really bad so it would depend on $ as to whether or not i would have the corbin reworked.

I still have the original stock seat that has only been used for a couple hours before it was replaced with the corbin. I bought the corbin because of the pillion backrest for Momma.

I've got a Rick Mayer on my 04 in Manhattan, KS. Pretty happy w/it, not perfect. I've got ~45,000 on it & the vinyl is showing it (outside all the time).

This is an FJR forum, everybody is within a day's ride of KC....

That being said, I have a Bill Mayer also and I did the measurements and pictures route. It works pretty well for me, my main issue comfort wise is shoulder stress. Nothing of note about the transaction, good communication and they will definably work with you to get what you need.

had the stock seat reworked by Spencer last winter. I've done the breakin and still find it lacking

Now you have me searching again...I was going to do the spencer mod this winter :angry2: Did you do the long distance upgrade?

I only do 1 long trip every year so I cannot justify a $600 plus seat....yet ;)

Thanks

had the stock seat reworked by Spencer last winter. I've done the breakin and still find it lacking

Now you have me searching again...I was going to do the spencer mod this winter :angry2: Did you do the long distance upgrade?

Thanks
by all means do your research. my research told me that seat opinions are like, well, butts---everyone has one.

I did the Spencer route and probably got my monies worth. I guess I thought it might deliver more and although there was an improvement I need more comfort to go 500 miles a day and the next and the next. I've got a boney butt and need to spread the weight (I'm at 170#) I have across a wider area than the center of the stock seat. I did the long distance upgrade, too.

my research told me that the best options are the ride in ones, and I'm sort of in the middle of the US and wasn't interested in riding to CA or WA for a seat. I looked at pictures and thought the "wings" on the Day Long were a bit big for my liking but they have almost universal thumbs up. Then I happened across the Bill Mayer Saddle (BMS) option. The look was right, the price for a driver only was okay and the comments of customers was very good in spite of their not being all ridden in. Sounded encouraging.

During all this a KTM rider told me of a local place that did his seat and that is what strated this thread.

Hope all this helps.

This is an FJR forum, everybody is within a day's ride of KC....
That being said, I have a Bill Mayer also and I did the measurements and pictures route. It works pretty well for me, my main issue comfort wise is shoulder stress. Nothing of note about the transaction, good communication and they will definably work with you to get what you need.
Thanks for the info. If this local option doesn't pan out BMS is my top choice.

Shoulder stress....risers? Are you able to relax on the bike (loose grip on the grips, tight below the waist and loose above)?

Thanks
Once you have a $600 seat you'll find more excuses to ride the long trips :)

You can stop over and view/sit on the Russell if you'd like. PM me for details.

I bought a Bill Mayer seat from a fourm member and I love it, I also have a sheep skin cover just in case I need it, so far I can go over 400 miles with no problem, The OEM seat put too much pressure on my tail bone and it always ached when I come to a stop and put my feet down, try a sheep skin from Alaska Leather.

Having just bought a new set of tires and going to put them on this Monday I cannot buy a high dollar saddle for a while. Maybe just maybe if I wait until the tax refunds come out I can talk her into one...or just surprise her when it shows up HMMMMMMM??? :rolleyes:

I'm in ottawa still on the stock seat but plan to get something diff. before to long it will most likely be a BMS

I just hate to be without a seat while its being made.

john