Seats..help Me!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda odd having to slide all the way to the tank before stopping so I can get a foot down.
This is odd. I guess the wings force that. I suppose that for IB riders this is okay because they are just going. For commuters this could be a problem with the hot tank.

This is odd. I guess the wings force that. I suppose that for IB riders this is okay because they are just going. For commuters this could be a problem with the hot tank.
No problems here. Commute all the time with mine. Hot is hot in Texas summer temps. If I can get a toe down then I'm golden.

The seat is about comfort when the wheels are spinning. If I'm worried about what the bike does when stopped, then I'm focusing on the wrong thing (imo). I broke away from the "show-and-whine" gang over the years and you aren't taking me back without a fight! :p

Put another 250 miles on today. It just keeps getting better. When we started this A.M., the back of my thighs would start to hurt after about an hour, not real bad, but a little. By this afternoon, I wasn't noticing it nearly as much. They said it would take 500-1000 miles to break in, I'm thinking that's going to be about spot on. Sliding up to the tank to make it easier to get a foot down doesn't bother me at all. The heat is no big deal. After the hot ride this afternoon, no monkey butt, no hot spots, no nothing! Well worth the money IMO.

Mike

I've done 700+ mile days on the stock seat and it didn't really bother me that bad. Good pair of bicycling shorts certainly didn't hurt. I've got a sheepskin cover on the way - have heard favorable reviews. I'm sure aftermarket seats are better, but, I figure, why not give it a shot? It's only $30, so, what do I have to lose? Many others have done LD rides on the FJR with the stock seat. It's just up to you to find out if it is a 'need' or a 'want'.
I found out over the weekend that the sheepskin is nice, but, it leaves a lot of room for improvement on a 1000+ mile day. For short trips, it's much better than stock.

Here's how the Russell Day-Long looks on the FJR (in fact, this is my first FJR that is featured on the Russell web site ):
2004FJR1300ABS_right_qtr.jpg

FJR1300ABS_left_qtr.jpg
Question for WC and others with Russell seats. How do the wings impede your movement on the bike if you slide around on it in the twisties. It looks like the wings would get in your way if you're even slight hanging off or shifting your weight. Let me knw 'cuz I am looking for something to do with (to) the wretched stock seat. Kills my delicate derriere...need help. Somebody help my ass! :)

John

Last edited by a moderator:
My seat has similar wings and Moving in turns doesn't seem to be a problem.

I will say WarChild has an R1 and if he is a sport rider I would think if there was any problem he would say so and he has always raved about his seat...