Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, if anything get an Air Hawk.

Gel seats just hold in the heat, and that's the last thing you need when the boys are sweaty.

They are fine however, if your definition of a long ride is only an hour or so, but as you indicated that's not the case.

I have a gel pad for my bike, and it works great for me. With the stock seat, my arse starts complaining at about 350 miles. With the gel I've done 700 in a sitting without any complaints from the back end. Riding thru the desert 90+ heat, I've not noticed any heat retention. The only odd thing is the movement of the gel is kinda a different feeling. Picked mine up from Road Rider in San Jose, can't remember the exact brand atm.

YMMV B)

...With the stock seat, my arse starts complaining at about 350 miles.
Yours talks??? :)

The GF has been asking for some auxillary padding. She lacks the reserve a$$ I have.

Anybody have experience with the gel pads for the passenger position?

...With the stock seat, my arse starts complaining at about 350 miles.
Yours talks??? :)

The GF has been asking for some auxillary padding. She lacks the reserve a$$ I have.

I have two gel pads that I used on the Wing. Cost me a hunnert bucks each, but I'll let 'em go cheap. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Well like renegade mentioned the air hawk seats are nice. I fell that my seat was all fine and dandy for riding but today I went to the Yam-a-hammer shop and they had one setting on a Fjr so I sat it (which really fit on the seat well) and Ooohhhhhhhhhhh, baby my arse ascended to a higher plane of existence. So I went home and went to www.Denniskirk.com and instead of the dealer price of $169 it was $160. So just for kicks I went to E-bay where they had the same seat for $129 with $12 shipping. I prefer these more than general gel pads which I sat on at ROT. Unlike the Air Hawk seats the gel pads are one smooth piece with I believe in upper 90 degree weather would make some sweat, Texas. The Air Hawk you may know is a series or air cubes (I guess you would call it) in a sleeve with spaces in between them which you can fill up by valve to different psi. I don't think that would make you sweat plus it felt awesome to me. So instead of a gel pad or sheep a wool cover I would pay the extra money and get one of those, BUT my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. :good:

Last edited by a moderator:
......So I went home and went to www.Denniskirk.com and instead of the dealer price of $169 it was $160.......
I couldn't find anything on Dennis Kirk about the FJR seats. Have a link by chance? The Yamaha site lists $374.95 for the '07 seat :blink: That's alot of money for a gel seat IMHO. Now at $170~ then I might consider the change.

......So I went home and went to www.Denniskirk.com and instead of the dealer price of $169 it was $160.......
I couldn't find anything on Dennis Kirk about the FJR seats. Have a link by chance? The Yamaha site lists $374.95 for the '07 seat :blink: That's alot of money for a gel seat IMHO. Now at $170~ then I might consider the change.
Silent..I think they are talking about the airhawks.

Reading comprehension is fundamental. Maybe I'll learn how someday :blink:

I think that this is the right seat Air Hawk Seat Link

if link doesn't work try going to denniskirk.com~metric bikes~seats~Airhawk~seat accessories~second one down. I don't know if it is specifically made for an fjr but it fit very well. If you are worried look at the deminsions in the overview in the link above and compare them to your seat. At the Yamaha store the seat was on an 07 with the electric shift (doesn't matter about the last part) However I don't think the stock seats changed much if any from 05-07. What 374.95 seat are you talking, thats way more than I would want to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:
That just BEGS to be messed with :rolleyes:

I did an SS1k on a gel seat.

SEAT being the key. not a pad on top. No more heat than a normal vinyl seat

Probably true about no more heat than a normal seat while riding. But park that sucker in the sun at the office all day and then try to ride it home. You won't do it but once. You will find or create some shade next time cause that gel pad do hold some hot heat. The FJR ain't comfortable when you ride it home navigating from the passenger seat.