Seattle to Reno - ideas for route

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Early June will be heading to Reno to see my niece graduate from high school. I'm looking for roads to ride and good places to stay (credit card tour a la motels). Also will stay off I-5 and will be running down eastern Oregon and then into NE Cal.

Any recommendations?

Grazi Mates

Scott

Clicky here for one option.

Hotel and 24 hour gas opportunities in Oregon include John Day, Burns, and Lakeview. Also in Alturas, CA...and not-to-be-missed Black Bear Diner. This gets you some fun parts of 395 and also referenced in a ride I wrote up.

Last edited by a moderator:
A long and lonesome alternative out of Alturas is to go east on 299 to Cedarville, then south on CA81/NV 447. You will go through Gerlach and very little else until you get to I-80. There's gas in Cedarville and Gerlach, but just to be sure, fill in Alturas.

tl

A long and lonesome alternative out of Alturas is to go east on 299 to Cedarville, then south on CA81/NV 447. You will go through Gerlach and very little else until you get to I-80. There's gas in Cedarville and Gerlach, but just to be sure, fill in Alturas.
tl
There is 24-hour pay-at-pump gas in both Cedarville and Gerlach nowdays.

Last June a buddy and I made a trip through Eastern Oregon -he on his V-Strom and me on my brand spankin' new '07 FJR. Three parts of this trip were my favorite;

1) The "Vocanoe Route" through Paradise, Packwood, Randle, Mt. St. Helens and down to Carson - plus having the best nice cold beer ever at the Full Sail Brewery in Hood River :drinks:

2) The Scenic Hwy portion of old Hwy-30 in the Columbia River George - it was so peaceful, no traffic, and some nice twisties. Beat the heck out of fighting the wind on I-84.

3) The road from Fossil to John Day - nice twisty road with some nice vistas. Only negative is that there is often bits of gravel in the corners from cars getting a wheel off the road.

The only other negative of this trip was the fierce winds in the Columbia River George and the pucker factor crossing the steel grate deck of the bridge across to Hood River - it's an uneasy feeling being leaned over to keep going straight while on a steel grate bridge deck! :eek:mg2: If it wasn't for the great brewskies in Hood River I'd have ridden further down and crossed the river at The Dalles or Biggs.

Have a great trip!

Grab some AAA maps. They are pretty good at showing some secondary paved roads that are twsity and link as many as you can. You won't be disappointed.

The Oregon costal mountains are really good also.

Latest posts