Second bike, what to get?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmak

Reaction score
I'm looking for a second bike, something I can flog around on secondary roads (gravel, sand, etc.) where I don't want to take the FJR. Seems a dual purpose is the choice and I have narrowed it to either the Versys SV or V-Strom. I still want good handling in the twisties, but ability to rough it a bit more than I feel comfortable with on the rougher roads. Fairly upright position a must due to injuries, age. Also, am height challenged-on my toes (not really too high) with the FJR, but comfortable. I'd appreciate any comments from those who have a second bike for this purpose and any suggestions for other possible choices. Ideas????

I'd go with a Vstrom over the Versys but ONLY because it's a known quantity - they've been on the market for years, have a ton of aftermarket support, and are known to be relatively bulletproof. Their issues are already known - windscreen buffeting and ugly, ugly styling.

If I were you I'd also take a long hard look at and a test ride on a Ulysses. They're perfectly capable on fire and secondary roads, easy to maintain, and a hoot in the twisties. They're not for everyone, but they are a really fun bike that fits what you're looking for. Comfortable for a pillion, too.

I have a KLR thats good for the beating around you are looking for but out of the box it is a pretty tall bike. You can overcome that by lowering the bike and replacing the seat with an aftermarket one. I agree with Karmak that if it is a choice between the Versys and the Vstrom I would probably go with the Strom because at least you know what you are getting. On the KLR plus side, if price is a consideration you can walk out the door with a brand new one at just a little north of 5K. I picked up a 2005 with 400 some odd miles on it for 3K. In terms of maintenance, the bike is about as simple as you can get. If you want to hear all the pro's about the bike check out KLR650 dot net. Just like here, you won't get a lot of negative feedback so for a wider opinion on many different bikes you may want to check ADVRIDER.

I like the looks of the new BMW F800GS (blk/yel) with bags. I’m gonna keep an eye open for a lightly-used, low-mile, second-hand one. Though, I think they do have a typical dirt-bike style tall seat.

Triumph Speed Triple 1050 with tires of your choice. Great bike. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Also handles great on 1 wheel.

Like a dirt bike on the street. Loads of fun.

Humm a bike with extra ground clearance and low seat height. Those are opposing priorities that don't exist together as far as I know....

I guess it depends on what you mean by "flog". As long as you understand that the bikes you mention are full sized sport touring bikes with a little extra ground clearance you'll probably do ok. The minute you think they're something aproaching a dirt bike, well, I hope you've eaten your wheaties. Personally I don't like to take anything that weighs more than about 250 lbs. off the pavement. But if I had to pick a "dual sport" it would be orange and start with a K and end with TM. :)

If you are going to ride in the gravel or worse look at the total bike weight, the less the better. I own a KLR (350 lbs) for years now and it does nothing great but everything well. Buy used for less $ and upgrade front springs and you are good to go! If just some light gravel then the Wee Strom (650cc) would be a great choice- owners really like them.

Axeman is right. The KLR 650 Kaw is not "cool" in most peoples eyes, but it is the best all around dual sport unless you are going around the world at over 80 miles per hour.

A couple of weekends ago I rode mine 100 miles to the Foothils Parkway in TN, then over Deal's Gap, then across the Cherohala, on to Etowah, TN. this bike is an ecellent twisty road bike.

I met up with some Buds and moteled. Next day we rode 160 miles of mostly gravel and forest road in the area, very little asphalt. Then the third day I reversed the first day's route for home. An excellent weekend of 650 miles.

Can not beat the thing overall, and the price is really right. CCook

I'm partial to the SV650 (on my second one now) however I know that many former SV owners have switched to the DL650 VStrom. Same sweet engine/transmission in a dual purpose package. Very comfortable riding positon and a face only a mother could love.

Strom 6fiddy. Cheap, proven, stone dead reliable, deep after market and because I said so. :p I love mine and I anguished between it and the GS, but in the end, dollars and cents made more, er, sense. The Versys looks like a good deal, but I'd give the nod to the Strom, only because of it better dirt ability, IMO. On road, the DL v. the KLR wins hands down only in as much as you are looking at a twin v. thumper. If I'm going 1,000 miles in a day, it sure as hell will not be on a thumper.

Now, given that bias diatribe... I would look seriously at the new F800GS... Yummy. ;)

Axeman is right. The KLR 650 Kaw is not "cool" in most peoples eyes, but it is the best all around dual sport unless you are going around the world at over 80 miles per hour.
A couple of weekends ago I rode mine 100 miles to the Foothils Parkway in TN, then over Deal's Gap, then across the Cherohala, on to Etowah, TN. this bike is an ecellent twisty road bike.

I met up with some Buds and moteled. Next day we rode 160 miles of mostly gravel and forest road in the area, very little asphalt. Then the third day I reversed the first day's route for home. An excellent weekend of 650 miles.

Can not beat the thing overall, and the price is really right. CCook
I took my KLR to Big Bend National Park last March, and rode it on every type of surface except ice. Wore out the cheapo enduro rear tire in 1500 miles. But it does well on every surface, though not OUTSTANDING in any one of them! Low price, 275 miles on a tank of petrol, and thousands of farkles and spare parts to be had.

The mileage ratio is about 4:1 in favor of the KLR over the FJR since obtaining the KLR over a year ago.

Not that I've put on a ton of miles this past year, but you get the idea.

Dual sports rock, especially when the FJR is waiting to fill in the LD high speed gap(s).

Shane

KLR's are good, but this thing is great... KTM 990 Adventure... Smitty

IMG_2373.jpg

IMO a bike that leaves the pavement should be able to be dropped (and picked up without help). I come from a dirt back ground so I always lean towards light bikes with good ground clearance and suspension. A GS or Vstrom would be a good gravel/dirt road bike but those are adventure bikes not intended for trails or even muddy conditions. I think a DR 650 or KLR 650 would be the best choice for a true dual-sport bike, decent ground clearance, adequate suspension, runs on low grade gas (think Mexico) , can be set up to haul and made comfortable. Best of all, if it bites the dust I'm calling the parts house and not the insurance company.

That being said, the Vstrom is REALLY comfortable! ;)

223612592-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Is not better to have 2 machines from only one brand? With my digital cameras I bought 2 from 2 different brand and it gives more problems than solutions ( softwares, wires, technical support,etc)

Rudy