Securing Velcro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
Any suggestions on securing Velcro onto riding gear? I want to try some sort of glue/cement instead of sewing. Any proven products that you have used with success?

FYI - this is for my stich.

Canadian FJR

I dont think anything will successfully stick velcro down to an absorbant surface. The only foolproof method is stitching. That self adhesive velcro is pretty strong but eventually, particularly with heat, the glue gives up the ghost.

I think the adhesive on self sticking Velcro is only good for holding it in place while you stitch it down.

I could make a fortune if i could invent a velcro that only sticks to what you want it to stick to.

I've never tried to do what you're attempting, but I've repaired other rubber and fabric items with Shoe Goo.

You might experiment with it.

200px-Shoe_GOO_3_7floz_carded_tube.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
220px-Swingline-stapler.jpg

Umm, well, how about:

aleene-s-no-sew-fabric-glue-4oz-8.jpg

No sew fabric glue found everywhere including Wally World. Chances of long term success? <10%

snitches 'stiches in stitches is probably the only way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had tremendous success with a product called

"Tear Mender" by Bish.

I get mine at Tractor Supply.

Don't over do it, it will soak through.

And it is PERMANENT.

Sewing is the only permanent way, but make sure any stitching doesn't go through the water-proof layer, or it won't be.

First time I heard of Shoe Goo was when one of our Forumites found a new use for his old tires. Wonder how those boots held up?

How about give a call to Aerostitch customer service? Bet they could help out or at least provide some guidance for a more permanent velcro attachment.

Good luck!

--G

"Sewing is the only permanent way, but make sure any stitch doesn't go through the water-proof layer, or it won't be."

What waterproof layer? It is a Stich.