Securing Velcro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
porter-cable-nail-gun.jpg

FWIW, I glued down some velcro on my car's dashboard. After a few weeks in the sunshine, it turned to a blob of goo with a velcro strip in the center. Still held the velcro and garage door opener, but was a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1205001" data-time="1421676212"><p>

FWIW, I glued down some velcro on my car's dashboard. After a few weeks in the sunshine, it turned to a blob of goo with a velcro strip in the center. Still held the velcro and garage door opener, but was a mess.</p></blockquote>

See? You should have stitched it like everyone here says.

Seriously, your "glob" was probably a chemical reaction of the

urethane dash to the solvents in the adhesive.

All of my Velcro "failures" have been because of the

stitching coming out.

How do you stitch Velcro to a multi-layered garment in an

area of limited access such as a sleeve?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would send it back to Aerostich to have it done right.

One option they have is to install a velcro patch on front of the suit or jacket to hold a GoPro camera.

Thanks for the replies. I spoke with Aerostich today and they could not recommend any type of adhesive. The shipping down and back plus the actual repairs will run me around $100.00

Thanks,

Canadian FJR

Thanks for the replies. I spoke with Aerostich today and they could not recommend any type of adhesive. The shipping down and back plus the actual repairs will run me around $100.00

Thanks,

Canadian FJR
I don't own any Aerostich gear. I know that it is quality gear, and quality doesn't come cheap. I would say bite the bullet and have it done rite. Or you could just spend your good time/money trying other methods,that most likely won't work. Good luck with your decision, and let us know how it works out.

OR . . . you could head out to the Black Hills in late June via Duluth.
bike.gif

At $100 I would talk to a seamstress at a local dry cleaner to see if they can do the repair. They do pretty good work if they have the ability to work on your heavy duty clothing.

You're going to really like this next idea. The cruiser crowd can't seem to sew enough patches on their leather gear. Guess what...they don't do it themselves. Somewhere there is an apparel shop that caters to this crowd and they have someone who sews. It will save you a bunch of time an money for you to find that place.

get waterproof thread and do a box stitch. Only do this if you're going through the outer layer only. You should be no more afraid of a sewing machine than a welder or a wrench. There are some sweet fabrics out there and sweing is how you weld them :)

1_x2.gif

I own both Darien and Roadcrafter suits from Aerostich and have looked at how they are assembled. The waterproof Goretex fabric is bonded to the inside of the Cordura outer layer, but there are lots of sewed seams where all that material is attached to form a suit. They use Goretex seam tape to seal those seams on the inside of the suit and you can buy the same stuff and iron it into place. I've used the tape to reseal areas in my unlined Darien pants that have worn due to rubbing on the street pants I usually wear underneath. This method will be tougher to use on the Roadcrafter suit because it's lined and therefore the seam tape is not easily accessible.

Not sure what Stich gear you have or where you want to add Velcro, but maybe this will give you ideas. Potentially you could sew Velcro into place and seal the thread from the inside with the tape?