Self inflicted ignition failure.- where to start?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey Mushman

Reaction score
I have an '06 that has been trouble free. It has a cigarette lighter installed by a previous owner that is fused. It is sitting in my drive out heated basement and on a battery tender for the winter. I am prepping for a cross country ride in a couple of weeks. An hour ago I plugged an older tire inflator into the cigarette lighter. The pump ran for a second then stopped. I thought it blew a fuse but they are all fine. I then tried to start the bike and it cranked normally but didn't fire. I wasn't sure if it was FI or ignition so I took out the air filter and gave the throttle bores a shot of starting fluid. No change so I'm now guessing ignition. Any suggestions before I blindly flail around some more?

Thanks, Harvey

No offense, but why would you plug an air compressor I to something without knowing the capabilities of the plug?!

Fred is 100% correct. Gotta know what was affected.

It is wired to the battery through with an inline fuse. It has a Bosch relay that turns it on with the key. What I find confusing is that all the fuses- both factory and the inline fuse for the cigarette lighter are fine. There is even power going to the ignition fuse. I assume if the 50 amp fuse was blown I would have no power anywhere?

I've used this outlet for a GPS for years. I did realize the compressor would draw more than a GPS. I thought if it blew a fuse it wouldn't affect the rest of the bike.

If it blew the glass fuse but not the inline fuse than I'd guess that your starting problems are unrelated to the air compressor incident.

You said that the lighter socket is wired directly to the battery via a fuse and a relay, as such there would be no reason for any of the bike fuses to be affected, which as you've confirmed they are not. Just to confirm, all the other bike electrics are working ok right? The ignition turns on normally and the bike cranks over but does not fire up?

When is the last time you successfully started the bike? I would think it's most likely just flooded, so first try to open the throttle all the way (WOTL) and crank the engine for a few minutes this will help to clear the access fuel and might get things moving. Pay attention to the sounds from the engine, i.e. is it trying to fire up at all, etc.

James, I tend to agree. I did run it just a couple of days ago when I changed the oil. It started right up as it always has. Hopefully this is just a fluke. All systems are working correctly. I will go downstairs and try again.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

Put your trickle charger on the battery and charge it up fully and then try what James suggested.

James, I tend to agree. I did run it just a couple of days ago when I changed the oil. It started right up as it always has. Hopefully this is just a fluke. All systems are working correctly. I will go downstairs and try again. Thanks to everyone for chiming in.
Yup...If you only ran it for a few minutes, you probably flooded it. Once the battery is feeling good, try again. If it doesn't fire, do the Wide Open Throttle method. It will probably take a few tries and then cough to life. Flooding it is pretty easy to do. Many of us have experienced it.

James, you nailed it! I did exactly as you said and it fired right up.

I guess with the impending trip I panicked when a possible problem blocked my path out of this long winter. I have half my stuff packed for a monthlong trip to the far SW- probably Baja.

Thank you to everyone for jumping right in.

James, you nailed it! I did exactly as you said and it fired right up.I guess with the impending trip I panicked when a possible problem blocked my path out of this long winter. I have half my stuff packed for a monthlong trip to the far SW- probably Baja.

Thank you to everyone for jumping right in.
Harvey, glad you got her running, enjoy your trip.