Self Split: First Farkles on a new '14 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh, there is the light that I want! The Whelen LIN3. Fred, why did you buy the white light for a brake light? or does it flash red?

Yes, those sliders look very nice. What are they made out of?
The outer black part looks to be made of Delrin. The silver plate behind the black is aluminum, and there is a big bolt that runs through it that replaces the engine mounting bolt in that location, with some spacers on it to clear the faring panels.

Here's where I bought them

And here's the install instructions

According to the stuckliste it is a sturzpad....

Very nice. The delrin will slide and the bolt with spacer looks like it will bend rather than damage the mount point.

How about a couple of plates with your forum ID on them to replace those 'SW-Motech' logo plates.
smile.png

Ooh, there is the light that I want! The Whelen LIN3. Fred, why did you buy the white light for a brake light? or does it flash red?
fRED uses the RED light. There is indeed a WHITE light but I believe that white lights in the back of any vehicle is illegal just about everywhere except for backup lights.

Yes, the LEDs are red. Lenses are clear.

The 3rd Brake Light Flasher module strobes the LED 5 times very quickly, which is very attention getting, and then goes on solid. It's the exact same setup I've had on my '05 for the past 6-7 years. I tend to wait until a car is coming up behind me and then hit the brakes to flash him.

In thios video, the capture ratre of the camera is too slow to show the strobing correctly, but you get the idea.

I felt naked on the new bike without it.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like those sliders better that the OEM ones I have on mine and I need to do the third brake light thing. I have been thinking about it for years.

I like those sliders better that the OEM ones I have on mine and I need to do the third brake light thing. I have been thinking about it for years.
No cutting of the fairing panels to install is also a plus. Curious how much they stick out, any pics from the front??

No cutting of the fairing panels to install is also a plus. Curious how much they stick out, any pics from the front??

Also, are you using the long or short ?!?!

Is it possible to get them closer to the bike if one wanted to by trimming the long spacer ?!!?

Nice work Fred - you aren't wasting any time, so awesome..... worst part I'd be willing to bet is waiting on that RDL seat....

Glad to see your working on the Mirror / LR4 light mount.... I'll be looking for that fist thing when I get a new one...

I would have a really hard time riding without those even for day time running - they really get noticed, and if I think someone doesn't notice me - I blast them with the brights - no question they see ya with full blast LR4's.... so awesome

Today's addition, right after the brown truck of happiness delivered, was mounting the Givi V46 Candy Red Lid (Givi Stock # C46R301). I ordered this from Adventure Motostuff because they showed they had it in stock. It was $66.60 plus shipping. It is not a perfect color match (which I was warned about) but it sure is close enough for this guy.
wink.png

Special shout out to Andrew (Redfish Hunter) for pressing the trunk lid issue, and going out of his way to call Givi USA to ask about it. :thumbsup: Thanks, Buddy. I owe you one here for sure.

100_4694.jpg

100_4695.jpg

Color-wise, the lid has a bit more of a silvery undertone to the metal flake, where the rest of the bike has a slightly gold sparkle to it. Like I said... Good Enough!

Only items left now are the Russell Seats and whatever I decide to do for mirrors / spacers and LR4 light mounting.

Fred, I saw that Givi has a "Gloss Candy Red" (the one you got) and they also have a "Gloss Red". Thanks for the pics. I'm trying to decide on one too.

Fred...is that a Ford oil filter???
rolleyes.gif
Nope, it's a Bosch. It is one of the most highly regarded (automotive) replacement filters, and isn't puke yellow like the Purolator PureOne. ;)

Fred, I saw that Givi has a "Gloss Candy Red" (the one you got) and they also have a "Gloss Red". Thanks for the pics. I'm trying to decide on one too.
The Givi rep that Redfish talked to suggested the "Candy" as the better match.

100_4675.jpg

I'll do some "what grinds down first" angular testing (no I'm not going to tip my new bike over!!) when I have someone around that I can rely on holding the bike up while I slide a piece of plywood (or flat cardboard) up against the wheels. If it does turn out to be the BigFoot, it looks like there is some "opportunity" to move the retracted position a bit higher, at least with the stock exhaust
I did some "grind down tests" for you.

15252499545_68a838fc67_z.jpg

15252498235_d6a64ffaf8_z.jpg

Well, let's see...

If that is on a 2013, didn't that non-modified BigFoot hit your centerstand? I suspect that would dis-allow it from fully retracting, but I dunno.

And I have no idea what you are showing us in the last picture. Some captions or something would be helpful.

Yes this is on my '13 and the stand retracts all the way. It just barely touches the centerstand but is not being held down any.

The 2nd pix is of the feeler peg on the left side just for grind comparison.

Oh!!! I get it. (forehead slap)

I'll have to compare the 1st gen to the 3rd gen side stands and see if I can see why this would be different.

Or does this happen on earlier gens too? I did not think so . :unsure:

Fred, the new top looks great. I did not really do much, just a phone call. I did have to catch myself when the guy asked me if I was a dealer. I wanted to say, "No but I represent the FJR forum..." I guess maybe we all represent the FJR forum in one capacity or another.

The reason I did not see this is because I was on my little Kentucky trip with Pop. I am pleased to have done at least one useful thing for Fred, he has done so much for all of us.

Suck up!

bleh.gif

By the way, I am appalled that you did not check the forum for important daily updates on your KY trip. What kind of a forum member are you?

Suck up!
bleh.gif

By the way, I am appalled that you did not check the forum for important daily updates on your KY trip. What kind of a forum member are you?
Yes, but I KNOW I will be needing you for something one day. Perhaps sooner rather than later.

IF (big IF) I can swing a 2015 FJR I will be contacting you directly. I am going to need some professional guidance.

I was truly wrapped up in the happiness of an almost perfect motorcycle trip with Pop. I thought about this forum a great deal and tried to think about you guys and my RR while I was choosing what pics to take and how to explain my adventures. I am not as useful as I wish, but I do try. Alas, checking the forum daily was taking a backseat to me "living in the moment".

I hope that you realize I was being purely facetious.

Obviously a road trip with your Dad takes precedence to any forum,

or even the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions reruns.
wink.png