Sena arrived -- works just fine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebike

Reaction score
Sena SMH10D-11 Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset/Intercom with Universal Microphone Kit (Pack of 2)

the install went simply though the directions were not very complete.

I put one unit on my Shoei Neotech and it went very easily and is VERY Clean (wire-wise)

the other unit i put on my wifes Harley full face modular helmet--- install was also clean though a little trickier -still not hard.

------------------

Music is plenty loud ... just a little tinny but clear.

Phone -- works great with my iPhone 4s ....Siri dials easily and calls were reported by several

people who I called.

Siri will play -from a playlist or dial numbers -- easily

-------------

First impressions -- 2 thumbs up

You may know this already... but go into the ipod settings.. in there under music, is an EQ setting.

If you set it to "small speakers" it sounds a lot better than it does with the eq off or flat.

Same experience here, very satisfied with my SENA units.

@bwv -- Thanks for the heads-up regarding the speaker setting. Will check out the difference.

--G

I will definitely check that setting -- thanks for the pointer --- on speaker setting on ipod (iPhone)

Anybody have the issue that the intercom volume seems lower than music or phone ??

If you read the manual, I think you can set the volume levels for each input seperatly. I din't have my book handy but I sort of remember reading this.

I absolutely love my SMH5-FM with the upgraded SMH10 speakers.I really thought I was going to need to wire up a set of earbuds as I've used those for years and didn't think I'd be satisified with helmet speakers. While not quite as good as earbuds, they're good enough not to hassle with the wires and plug every time.

Thanks for the tip on Iphone settings. I'm going to try that as well as putting some foam behind the speaker to push it closer to my ear and hope to get even better sound.

Me too... smh5 with upgraded speakers...great combo.

What i like about the speakers over "in ear" earbuds, is that i can still hear hazards around me.

(This is, in fact, the first music playing device that i have ever owned, in my life, that I keep at reasonable listening levels)

There should have been two round black cloth covered (velcro) pads in the speaker packaging, these are used to move the speakers closer to your ears.

There should also have been a pair of these with the original smh5 pacakging.

Happy trails !

Just bought the smh10 dual. Wife and I went out for first time tonight. Great units, they work well but the one issue I'm having is hearing a slight echo when talking to each other.

+1 for the Sena! Worth the money. I broke my unit and they replaced it in about two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the Sena SMH10D-11 two pack . There is one thing I would like to know if it is possible.

I have an iPhone 4s and a Zumo 550 I would like to pair things up so that when a call comes in I can see on the Zumo screen who is calling and then answer it via either Vox or pushing the phone button. Is this possible?? If so how??

I have been able to pair the iPhone to make voice calls and the Zumo to give voice cues for navigation. Just trying to see who may be calling :)

**THREAD RESSIE**

I had bought the SMH-10 dual set when I first got the bike last year, but only installed the one because I only had one helmet. This last Christmas I got my daughter a helmet, so I installed the 2nd one on hers. I upgraded it to the latest firmware, like mine.

Mine is an Arai Signet-Q and hers is a Bell Vortex.

With mine, volume, or lack thereof, has always been an issue. It got a little better with 4.2, but nothing earth shattering. I'm not the only one, on Sena's website there are plenty of others with the same issue. Still, some say it's plenty loud. Now I think I know why.

When I turned hers on, I was blown away with the volume! I really couldn't believe how loud it was. So after looking both helmets over, I think it is the helmet itself that determines the volume. My cheek pads are foam all around with a slight opening in the middle. Hers are foam 2/3rds around, with a mesh over the ear opening. Mine has a more shallow recessment for the speaker than hers. If it's just the foam (which I believe it is), or a combination of the two, there is a HUGE difference!

Thought I would post my findings, in case anyone else feels they have an issue with volume.

**THREAD RESSIE**
I had bought the SMH-10 dual set when I first got the bike last year, but only installed the one because I only had one helmet. This last Christmas I got my daughter a helmet, so I installed the 2nd one on hers. I upgraded it to the latest firmware, like mine.

Mine is an Arai Signet-Q and hers is a Bell Vortex.

With mine, volume, or lack thereof, has always been an issue. It got a little better with 4.2, but nothing earth shattering. I'm not the only one, on Sena's website there are plenty of others with the same issue. Still, some say it's plenty loud. Now I think I know why.

When I turned hers on, I was blown away with the volume! I really couldn't believe how loud it was. So after looking both helmets over, I think it is the helmet itself that determines the volume. My cheek pads are foam all around with a slight opening in the middle. Hers are foam 2/3rds around, with a mesh over the ear opening. Mine has a more shallow recessment for the speaker than hers. If it's just the foam (which I believe it is), or a combination of the two, there is a HUGE difference!

Thought I would post my findings, in case anyone else feels they have an issue with volume.
Firmware 4.3 is out now. Just got my dual pack and will try them out tomorrow, but so far in the house, so good.

Yeah, I did 4.3. 4.2 was mainly to address low volume complaints, which is why I mentioned it.

When I first got mine hooked up, it sounded fine in the living room, not so at 40mph or above. 4.2 helped a bit, as I can hear it at 70mph, but not fully. Doing the side by side with my daughter's helmet in the living room is dramatic, so I would expect it to be so while riding also.

Again, I think the helmet models will give varying results.

Nice thread. I just picked up a used set of SMH10's off the local board here. Ran the factory reset and then updated the firmware. Can you tell I'm a techie? Been playing with them but haven't put them in the helmet yet. Bike should be back on the road next weekend so hopefully I'll get to give them a whirl.

I've been doing a bunch of reading and speaker placement seems to be big too. If they are a smidge out of alignment with your ear canal the volume apparently drops off quite a bit. It could be that the speakers in your daughters helmet are more in line with your ears than your helmet.

Oh yeah, it's possible. Funny thing is, I used complex mathematical equations, acting like Einstein working on his theories of relativity, to put the speakers in my helmet at just the right spot, double and triple checking placement. On my daughters, I just put them in the openings, thinking "what difference will it make? Can't hear it above 3rd gear anyway.".

So yeah, it's possible!